Page 1 of 3
At the Gates The Red in the Sky is Ours - Unquestionably among the most inventive death metal albums ever recorded. Personally, this remains my favorite death metal album. The claustrophobic production values may be off-putting to some (the band reportedly hated the final mix, claiming the engineer was "...allergic to electricity"), but these complex songs, with their unconventional harmonies, intricate melodies (many of the guitar lines sound almost as if they'd been composed for chamber string ensemble) and subtle manipulations of dynamic texture are endlessly rewarding to the patient listener. The band was later crippled - creatively, if not commercially - by the departure of artistic mastermind Alf Svensson. It's a shame, because they deserve to be remembered for this masterpiece, not for the musical abortion that was Slaughter of the Soul.

Dismember Like an Ever Flowing Stream - One of the most universally acclaimed albums to emerge, not just from Sweden, but from death metal as a whole...and rightfully so. Many would consider this the definitive expression of the "Stockholm Sound," and it's hard to find a good argument against that point of view. Simple in essential technique, but complex in effect due to the use of constantly evolving melodic themes that, like a miniature symphony written in blood, reveal a gleeful embrace of life-through-violence in their emergent narrative. Basically, if you don't like this, you're probably have a vagina.

Carnage Dark Recollections - In terms of influence and quality, this deserves to be mentioned right alongside Like an Ever Flowing Stream. Given the sharing of personnel between both bands, it's not surprising that this is quite similar to early Dismember, although rhythm and dynamics are more varied, and play a more important role in shading meaning. By far the best work from Michael Amott, who lost his testicles in a tragic accident shortly after joining former grind standouts Carcass. He was last spotted touring gay bath houses and playing Bar Mitzvahs with tenth rate also-rans Arch Enemy.

Necrophobic The Nocturnal Silence - Part of the first generation of death metal albums to emerge after the initial explosion of black metal in Norway, and one of the few to effectively incorporate the lessons thereof. Melodies resemble those of conventional Swedish bands like Dismember and Carnage, but technique resembles black metal in that it emphasizes sustaining those melodies in fluid motion, without the reversion to moments of pure rhythm prominent in previous death metal. Ripped off endlessly by various Gaythenburg types who tried (and failed) to remake this as Iron Maiden worship. An ultra classic that probably should have a following on par with similar vintage Dismember or Entombed. Unfortunately, they signed with perennial career killer Black Mark, and the rest is history.

Therion Beyond Sanctorum - Wildly imaginative death metal from a band that later devolved into a carnival sideshow of cheesy arena rock pointlessly augmented by choirs and orchestral accompaniment. Here, they answer the age old question: "What if Celtic Frost actually knew how to play their instruments?" Epic stuff, kids. In other news, someone should be castrated for dispensing with the killer album art of the original release when this was repressed by Century Media.

God Macabre The Winterlong - If you crossed Dismember with Candlemass, this is what you'd get. Music this beautiful has no business being this heavy. Proving once again that business sense and artistic talent rarely go hand-in-hand, the band, originally known by the much more grammatically sensible (and marketable) moniker Macabre End, effectively killed their own career by changing their name right before recording this album, reportedly in an effort to ditch their previous bassist (apparently, there is no analog to, "Dude, you're fired" in Swedish). Probably the best thing Relapse has done in the last decade was reissue this once forgotten classic with the rest of the band's odds and ends, exposing a new generation to some extraordinary death metal.

Seance Fornever Laid to Rest - Many would peg this as a very "American" sounding Swedish release due to the relative diversity of its rhythmic textures. It reminds me more of Gorguts' The Erosion of Sanity in its subtle combination of internally dissonant melodies, oddball harmonies and labyrinthine structures within what is superficially "conventional" death metal. Many will prefer the more obviously novel approach of the band's second album, Saltrubbed Eyes, but that album, while excellent in its own right, loses focus too often to be a true classic.

Merciless The Awakening - This might be considered a "primitive" due to its relative simplicity and the fact that it draws heavily on the speed metal of an earlier generation. The basic technique here resembles early Slayer crossed with Bathory circa The Return.../Under the Sign of the Black Mark, with darkly majestic melodies emerging from the backwash of distortion like eddies in a flood-swollen torrent. This album is part of the DNA of most of the Scandinavian death and black metal to come. Really, everything this band ever recorded is highly recommended.

Grotesque In the Embrace of Evil - Not a true standalone album, but a compilation of the recorded material from this seminal pre-At the Gates act. Similar to Merciless in that this material is a hybrid of black/death hybrid. Sounds like a cross between Possessed and early Bathory. Great stuff, but probably too unrefined for some tastes. Thankfully, this one is readily available as part of the reissue of At the Gates' excellent debut EP Gardens of Grief.

Unleashed Shadows in the Deep - Simple, crushing, and effective. Many will prefer Where No Life Dwells, but I think this album showcases the band's no frills, heavy metal influenced style to better effect, largely due to better editing and the lack of Manowar covers.

Afflicted Prodigal Sun - A bit of an oddball band (witness the punny title and the sitar album intro). Perhaps best described as a Swedish analog to Atheist, this album was hugely hyped by Nuclear Blast in 1992. Unfortunately, fans were expecting something more along the lines of Dismember, and what they got was very progressive death metal that was perhaps more contemplative than contemporary audiences were prepared for. Technical and diverse in its influences, but avoids the Cynic trap by not overplaying and using those influences to augment music that is firmly rooted in death metal, rather than trying to shoehorn death metal vocals into a carnival cavalcade of novelty for novelty's sake.
While I do agree with the vast majority of these picks, do you ANUSites have your own tastes in music? It seems you all listen to the same bands and speak the same of each album.
Quote by \Powerslave/
While I do agree with the vast majority of these picks, do you ANUSites have your own tastes in music? It seems you all listen to the same bands and speak the same of each album.

It's just the natural convergence of views that is a consequence of intelligence and experience.
Quote by \Powerslave/

Hivemind, yo.
Quote by GeoffreySmis
Wheres In Flames?

Oh boy...
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Entombed? While Clandestine pushed towards a more death 'n roll sound Left Hand Path is a fine album.
Dream Theater = "The auditory equivalent of masturbating into a cup and then smelling it."
Quote by ItsPuddingTime
Entombed? While Clandestine pushed towards a more death 'n roll sound Left Hand Path is a fine album.

Lots of folks like Left Hand Path, but it was basically obsolete the day it was released. Too one dimensional, and with a lot of the failings of the D-beat hardcore that influenced it. Their real influence came as Nihilist, and, frankly, I just think Carnage and Dismember represent a much better version of the same style.
Yeah, In Flames is 'Melodic' Death Metal,

So it doesn't count
and i sit and wonder, falling under .
Quote by xCobainx
Yeah, In Flames is 'Melodic' Death Metal,

So it doesn't count

In Flames were a heavy metal/speed (or thrash, if you prefer) metal hybrid with some black and death metal influences. Plus, they weren't that good, even at their peak.
Quote by ItsPuddingTime

And more importantly, Nihilist.

EDIT: Did anyone stop to think that In Flames might not be on this because it says "The Best of Swedish Death Metal"?
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Xanthippus
In Flames were a heavy metal/speed (or thrash, if you prefer) metal hybrid with some black and death metal influences. Plus, they weren't that good, even at their peak.

"The Jester Race" was melodeath. Fact.

At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, Carcass' "Heartwork", and In Flames' "The Jester Race" were the first true melodic death metal bands/releases, and it is widely regarded so.

But, with your "intelligence and experience", I'm sure you already knew that.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Last edited by fallenangel20 at Mar 14, 2009,
this is Laeth.

*whoosh*
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by MetalMessiah665
And more importantly, Nihilist.

EDIT: Did anyone stop to think that In Flames might not be on this because it says "The Best of Swedish Death Metal"?

I did, but I didn't want fanboys like you assaulting me.
Huh?
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by HamburgerBoy
What do you think of Carbonized?

Great band, but really more of a quirky grind outfit than death metal.
I'm pretty sure every member of ANUS, when they sign up, is handed a sheet of "ALBUMS YOU MUST LIKE" and "THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THEM" and they all just spend the rest of their life repeating that list to anyone who will listen.
Therion, Afflicted, Seance = meh. The rest are deadly, but they pretty much have their own threads, so take it there id say.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by ItsPuddingTime

'Clandestine' is their best. Death and Roll? Get out of town

'Seance Fornever Laid to Rest - Many would peg this as a very "American" sounding Swedish release due to the relative diversity of its rhythmic textures. It reminds me more of Gorguts' The Erosion of Sanity in its subtle combination of internally dissonant melodies, oddball harmonies and labyrinthine structures within what is superficially "conventional" death metal. Many will prefer the more obviously novel approach of the band's second album, Saltrubbed Eyes, but that album, while excellent in its own right, loses focus too often to be a true classic.'

That album is totally underrated.
'Clandestine' is their best. Death and Roll? Get out of town

I can definitely hear them moving in that direction with this album. It relies pretty heavily on the expedient of fulfilling a listener's expectations of a payoff by consistently resolving syncopation on the offbeat, which leads to lots of "groove" in the classic rock 'n roll pattern. It doesn't have the openly rock derived harmonies, progressions and leads of subsequent releases, but rhythmic presentation is pretty much the same on both Clandestine and Wolverine Blues.
Quote by fallenangel20
"The Jester Race" was melodeath. Fact.

At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, Carcass' "Heartwork", and In Flames' "The Jester Race" were the first true melodic death metal bands/releases, and it is widely regarded so.

But, with your "intelligence and experience", I'm sure you already knew that.

Early At the Gates is unquestionably "melodic" death metal, but then, so was most of the stuff coming out of the Stockholm/Sunlight scene at the time, so they were hardly unique in that sense. Slaughter of the Soul is basically a ****ty speed ("thrash") metal album, a crossbreed between Slayer and Pantera with Tomas Lindberg howling over top. Heartwork is really very similar, although it's got more ...And Justice For All than Slayer in its lineage. Neither one could really be called "death metal" with a straight face.

Dark Tranquility and In Flames are both Iron Maiden-style heavy metal hybridized with speed metal, but using more "extreme" vocals.

Bottom line: non-pitched vocals do not death metal make.
Quote by Xanthippus
I can definitely hear them moving in that direction with this album. It relies pretty heavily on the expedient of fulfilling a listener's expectations of a payoff by consistently resolving syncopation on the offbeat, which leads to lots of "groove" in the classic rock 'n roll pattern. It doesn't have the openly rock derived harmonies, progressions and leads of subsequent releases, but rhythmic presentation is pretty much the same on both Clandestine and Wolverine Blues.

Well obviously it goes without saying that I disagree.
I don't think IPT (if I may presume to speak for him/her) or I are suggesting that Clandestine was death 'n roll, just that it was clearly a step in that direction.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Needs more Grave - Soulless

I sort of waffle back and forth on Grave (although only Into the Grave seems remotely appealing). On the one hand, there's no question that they were the most punishing band to come out of the early Swedish scene. On the other, a lot of their music is rock stupid.
Quote by Xanthippus
It's just the natural convergence of views that is a consequence of intelligence and experience.

Hahahahaha.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Magero
I'm pretty sure every member of ANUS, when they sign up, is handed a sheet of "ALBUMS YOU MUST LIKE" and "THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THEM" and they all just spend the rest of their life repeating that list to anyone who will listen.

Kind of like Evangelists, but with no music.

Anyway, this thread is highly amusing, at least.

I mean, this guy should do stand up. "Slaughter of the Soul is basically a ****ty speed ("thrash") metal album, a crossbreed between Slayer and Pantera with Tomas Lindberg howling over top."

haha

Jerry Seinfeld would have a hard time getting as many laughs as this guy.

Saxo-Walrus

Jerry Seinfeld would have a hard time getting as many laughs as anybody that isn't Jerry Seinfeld.

Or Jimmy Fallon.

Or Ben Stiller.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
This thread is somewhat amusing.

Ahh what the hell it's pretty damn funny.
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
Quote by dead-fish
Jerry Seinfeld would have a hard time getting as many laughs as anybody that isn't Jerry Seinfeld.

Or Jimmy Fallon.

Or Ben Stiller.

I couldn't think of a comedian to semi-insult that I wouldn't feel bad afterwards other than Seinfeld.

Plus, I was trying to compare him to the TS, so I couldn't just use someone I respected.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by Xanthippus
I sort of waffle back and forth on Grave

Can't imagine what that would be like.
The war is over. The internet has won
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
What, exactly, is anus? I was gone for 4 or 5 days around a week ago and when I came back suddenly everything was anus this and anus that. All of this anus crap is reminiscent of The Pit.
Page 1 of 3