I'm in grade 11 and am trying to discover what i want to do with my life. I am trying to choose between mechanical engineering technology and journalism (which i only recently began to consider). Is anybody here entering the field of journalism? Which has more opportunity, broadcast or print? Will it be hard to find a job? Will I have to wait a bit before i actually make good money? Is the salary decent?

So UG what should i do? I am interested in both, however i believe that journalism will be without a doubt a much more fun and exciting job (especially if i get to travel). Any suggestions?

Thanks
Free Mumia
If you want a future go with Engineering.

Journalism is pretty unstable right now, print especially.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Journalism is cooler,IMO, though. Ever heard of Hunter S. Thompson? Great journalist to ever live and had a great time doing it.
I'm going into Journalism (Don't mistaken my poor grammar and writing on UG for my actual writing). If you're a great writer (No, "good" isn't good enough), then go for it. It's much more enjoyable than engineering would be. Journalism also gives you a lot of options in the future, as a major in journalism can give you a lot of choices when it comes to having an actual career.

Ignore the guy who says journalism is unstable. There is ALWAYS a need for good writers. Engineering and the trades in general are very unstable right now (I say that with a father who has spent his entire life in the trades). The trades are only expected to get worse.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Great journalist to ever live and had a great time doing it.

wat?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I'm in grade 11 as well. That is what I plan on pursuing as a career, writer.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by Liberation

Ignore the guy who says journalism is unstable. There is ALWAYS a need for good writers. Engineering and the trades in general are very unstable right now (I say that with a father who has spent his entire life in the trades). The trades are only expected to get worse.

There is always a need for good writers yes. So major in English.

In case you haven't noticed, newspapers everywhere are dying. The prospects of a career in Journalism, print especially, are not very good right now. Not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to be helpful. I used to be a Journalism major. I love journalism. But it isn't a great option stability wise right now.
As a person who enjoys journalism and served as school newspaper editor my Junior and Senior years (graduated 08), I feel obliged to provide input.

For one, journalism isn't that hard as long as you keep learning on how to improve your writing and have a good work ethic. Print and broadcast both have their pros and cons, so let's try to find which is best for you.

With print, you can get lots of work. Magazines and newspapers can both provide careers, and many writers work for multiple publications. It isn't hard to write a good story, as long as you do your homework and put in the time to write something of quality. You have to be self motivated. With print, you can work for video game magazines, music related magazines, Playboy, newspapers; anything that fits your fancy.

The downside to print is that it's losing business. Many publications are making the move to the Internet, which can be positive, but right now many places are actually losing money, so you'd wanna make sure you can either get a secure job or do lots of freelance.

With broadcast, you may or may not be on TV, but it's hard to take credit for anything you do regardless. But broadcast has some good money in it, and the internet is making it easier to get some experience with v-logs and podcasts. If you think you wanna do broadcast journalism, I strongly suggest investing in either a webcam or video camera and starting a v-log. Even if you decide you'd rather write than be on screen, you can gain a lot of experience just by making something and putting it up for public review.
Quote by slidething31
There is always a need for good writers yes. So major in English.

In case you haven't noticed, newspapers everywhere are dying. The prospects of a career in Journalism, print especially, are not very good right now. Not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to be helpful. I used to be a Journalism major. I love journalism. But it isn't a great option stability wise right now.

Neither is engineering.

Your argument is invalid.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by Liberation
Neither is engineering.

Your argument is invalid.

Are you serious? Mechanical engineering unstable? Every engineer I've known has had little trouble finding a job upon graduation.

With a journalism degree, it's a lot tougher.
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Journalism is cooler,IMO, though. Ever heard of Hunter S. Thompson? Great journalist to ever live and had a great time doing it.

Why, yes i definately have! I definately agree with all of you that it would be a lot more fun. In my opinion, if I could get a job as a traveling journalist of even a job in a youth culture magazine such as VICE that would be my ideal career. However, (although i am aware that money isn't everything) the salary is farely low and i am concerned i will have a hard time finding work in this day and age.

Also, If i took print journalism, would i still be somewhat qualified to perform some of the aspects that fit in with broadcast journalism?

Lastly, what would you consider Kenny Hotz and Spencer Rice (Kenny vs Spenny). I read that Kenny took Media Arts in college. However, that course doesn't exist anymore or has durastically changed.
Free Mumia
I have no idea what I want to do with my life in the future, but I am on my school's newspaper and it is an enjoyable experience. I took an introduction to journalism class last semesterand the teacher really loved me and wanted me to write for the paper this semester. I too think journalism as a whole is going down the tubes especially how slanted the news media is, but it's an easy and interesting class at the very least.
Quote by slidething31
Are you serious? Mechanical engineering unstable? Every engineer I've known has had little trouble finding a job upon graduation.

With a journalism degree, it's a lot tougher.

Journalism degrees aren't even good enough anymore. I know a fair few people who were journalism students last year who are now first years again taking English straight after because they found out that a journalism degree wasn't the way to go.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Sorry for going off-topic but... is it working?

ZEDIT: Seems to be working...

exactly what i thought. i'm glad the problems fixed. kudos to the programmers
Quote by -tempest-
exactly what i thought. i'm glad the problems fixed. kudos to the programmers

According to medick in Site Feedback, there's going to be downtime later today, though... but anyway, forums are back online and they're working their ass off to get things fixed, so many many kudos to them.

And now, back on topic
People are saying engineering is unstable? Of course some sectors are, but most engineering students are some of the most employable you'll find, there are still jobs out there. Honestly I think you should do what you enjoy the most, but I would suggest that engineering has a few more prospects later on.
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Quote by guerilla radio
I'm in grade 11 and am trying to discover what i want to do with my life. I am trying to choose between mechanical engineering technology and journalism (which i only recently began to consider). Is anybody here entering the field of journalism? Which has more opportunity, broadcast or print? Will it be hard to find a job? Will I have to wait a bit before i actually make good money? Is the salary decent?

So UG what should i do? I am interested in both, however i believe that journalism will be without a doubt a much more fun and exciting job (especially if i get to travel). Any suggestions?

Thanks

WHOA.

I've been considering the same two options. And I'm in Grade 11. Craaazay.
I think that I personally am going to go with Journalism since I love to write and I've already got a lot or print journalism experience.

I don't know if you live in the states or canada or what but in Canada admision standards into journalism programs are suuuuuuuper high and the competition is really stiff.

I agree with you on the fact that journalism would be more exciting and I think that after university you would come out a more well-rounded and educated person.
Print broadcasting has more opportunity I think, but at school you'll get experience with both. Some people like both and others will despise one and love the other.

Salarywise it depends on what you're gonna do. News? Freelance? etc etc. Pay won't be great at first but hey, no pain no gain!

Cheers!
Quote by thedefrockednun

DAMN YOU I SIGGED HER FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I demand, in the name of the rt, that you change your sig...

NOW!!!!!!!!!

Quote by rigiddigits
RT meet!! Of epic global proportions!!!*
*world may asplode due to unprecedented levels of awesome.
I would go into print. I'm a senior at my school and the opinion editor for the paper, and it seems so much more interesting than broadcast. Even if newspapers themselves become obsolete, you still have the internet to write for (don't know if that's a good thing or not).

I vote print.
I'm in grade 11 and love journalism. I'm an editor on both my school's yearbook and newspaper. I say go for journalism if you like it. Newspapers might be dying out but I doubt magazines will anytime soon.
Quote by Td_Nights
I went as Darth Vadar to a school dance before.

Sure I got kicked out, but the DJ played the Imperial March and I just felt badass.
I'm going into Journalism.
I'm headed to WVU in the fall.
My major will most likely be Print Journalism with a minor in Creative Writing.

She dreams in color, she dreams in red.

Quote by josh999x
A guy put a dildo on his head and shouted look i'm a unicorn.

Quote by sg255
Patrick was so slang, but Squidward was a boob waffle.