long story short I am unhappy with my 5150 and looking for an upgrade. I play stuff like lamb of god and shadows fall. Can the mesa pull it off? Any other suggestions. Price range is up to around 2000 dollars, but would like to keep it lower.
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Have you tried boosting your 5150? Because the Mesa won't have as much gain.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
single rect will not be up to snuff

and the double or triple may be a tad flubby on the low end for up.
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Have you considered:
- Various ENGLS
- Used Rivera Knucklehead
- Line6 Vettas?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
other amps i was looking at were engl fireball/powerball, marshall jcm800 2203kk, and possibly a framus cobra if i found one at the right price. Not huge on the line 6 and never played a rivera, but heard good things
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
My friend has a single rectifier and it still has a lot of gain (coming from someone with a 6505 ), but as always try before you buy.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by Vandals572 at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by shadow__666
Have you tried boosting your 5150? Because the Mesa won't have as much gain.

The Single has more than enough gain on tap.

Quote by Krzy8
and the double or triple may be a tad flubby on the low end for up.

That's due to user error. Recto EQ's aren't wired like most amps. People tend to EQ them like they would with a Marshall, Peavey, etc., and will not get similar results.
Quote by Guitarmiester

That's due to user error. Recto EQ's aren't wired like most amps. People tend to EQ them like they would with a Marshall, Peavey, etc., and will not get similar results.

reallly funny as how i don't use them, I am just saying that there are mods out there to make there bottom less mushy..wonder why that is, because compared to other amps their bottom end is mushy. By all means good amps though.

speaking of modding, TS you could mod the peavey and save money.
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Most Mesa's, including the Mark series, have a lot of low end. There's no reason to mod the amp, just roll back the bass. I have the bass on my Triple rolled back to 10 o'clock and the gain at 11 and still sounds huge. It's all about knowing how to EQ the amp.

Rolling back the bass on most amps tend to thin out, not the case for Mesa's.
Quote by gpderek09
as far as i'm concered, the signle recto had midrange and agression. so it sounded RAAARRGGAGAGAGAGHHH

where as teh dual and tripple didn't. just bass a shreiky treble. so it was more like a wet fart with nails on a chalk board.

my favorite description.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
^^^ what he said
The problem isnt that fact it has bass, just that its "flubby"
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Single rec with a boost will slay. It's probably the setup I'm going for.
If you can't push a dual hard enough it will sound flubby, which is why I like the single.
It's MUCH easier to push without achieving insane volume levels.

Now, don't get me wrong, the one I tried out was still REALLY loud, but just not like the dual rec. I played a dual rec and couldn't really turn the channel volume past 1 with the master at around 3 o'clock. It just sounded... not right. I'm assuming that's because I couldn't get it going at that volume, but I got the single to sound great!

So.... Yeah, the single is up to par.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
Quote by Guitarmiester

Not if you're finding a 5150 doesn't have enough gain. The only amps I can think of with more gain are all boutique and/or ridiculously expensive. Bogner Uberschall, Soldano SLO et al.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
Not if you're finding a 5150 doesn't have enough gain. The only amps I can think of with more gain are all boutique and/or ridiculously expensive. Bogner Uberschall, Soldano SLO et al.

I don't think he said it didn't have enough gain, just that he was unhappy with it. I'm assuming it's the really dry/not super saturated sound? IDK, just my guess
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
Last edited by {Ѵëņŏmőůş} at Mar 15, 2009,
a $50 bad monkey overdrive will get it saturated,

i wouldn't rule an OD pedal as a boost out before buying a new amp because it really can make the difference.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
The amount of gain isn't as important as a good sounding gain. Mesa's, Engl's and 5150's all have tonnes of gain, but they also all have a different gain voicing.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Guitarmiester

No, they are flabby - a very squishy low end in comparison to Engl, VHT etc. They are heavy, but they aren't the tightest.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Most Mesa's, including the Mark series, have a lot of low end. There's no reason to mod the amp, just roll back the bass. I have the bass on my Triple rolled back to 10 o'clock and the gain at 11 and still sounds huge. It's all about knowing how to EQ the amp.

Rolling back the bass on most amps tend to thin out, not the case for Mesa's.

this one time, there might have been something wrong with the amp or speakers, but i simply could not get enough bass out, i had it all the way down, and it was still just waay too muddy on the low end, so some people may have had different experiences with mesas than with your triple recto

EDIT: if you think a 5150 doesnt have enough preamp gain, your either on drugs, suck so much that you dont want to be able to hear yourself AT ALL, or theres something wrong with the amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Mar 15, 2009,
If you want LOG tone, get a Mark IV, not a Recto. They used Mark IV's with Mesa and Framus cabs. Thats in your price range since Mark IV heads go for around 1100-1200$ plus around 500$ for a Mesa Recto 4x12 cab, leaving money for boost/EQ.
Quote by davedoom
No, they are flabby - a very squishy low end in comparison to Engl, VHT etc. They are heavy, but they aren't the tightest.

On its own it may have a loose low end, that should be a given with the sag of a Recto. They sit very well in a mix and compliment other amps. I've seen plenty of bands where the one guitarist uses a Recto and the other a 5150, Engl, Marshall, or whatever and everything meshes fine.
I have found that my single sounds fine with an OD up front. It wasn't quite as aggressive without one though. The OD really brings it out on both the vintage and modern settings. I play everything from AIC to LoG, and in between. The Mark IV or the 5150 are both amps I'd love to get my hands on though.
Check out:

Splawn Nitro
VHT Sig: X
ENGL Fireball
ENGL Powerball
ENGL Blackmore
Framus Cobra
Mesa Mark V (maybe?)
Used Mark IV

all are heaps and heaps better than anything from the recto solo series imo
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Although I don't favor Rectos personally, it is true that they sit in the mix very well and mesh with other amps nicely.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION