Novice player at around 7months of daily 2-4hr practice sessions.

I'm finding I have an issue when it comes to sliding a power chord, such as hitting 5-7-7, and then sliding it down to 3-5-5. At first I thought it was an issue of finger strength but it almost seems like I'm pressing down too hard during the slide to keep from muting out the sound. Any hints/tips on the 'proper' way to practice this?
Use 3 fingers....

Index = Lower Number
Ring+Pink = Higher Numbers

I find that helps me, although its probably not 'proper'.... I can't slide a power chord (3 notes, not the "2" note one..) without doing so

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
My problem was finger strength (I'm barring the 5th and octave, unlike guy above me). I found that my ring finger was dragging a bit on the strings (I was pressing plenty hard, but wasn't able to keep my finger straight across the strings), but I just practiced it and now it's no problem.
Quote by rigiddigits
Well I'm a girl and I don't want to die so I guess I'll have to choose to be raped.

Nobody sig that

Check out my gaming blog, Zombie Arcade
Last edited by troubletcat at Mar 14, 2009,
I find that helps me, although its probably not 'proper'...

He was meaning ''Best'' or ''Good'' way to play this...

I ain't sure of understanding your problem but, pressing down too hard on the fret while sliding doesn't mute out your sound, so you are probably not* pressing enough hard.

Use the finger as said:

For you power chord 5-7-7
Finger: 1-3-4
Use a lighter touch on ... well playing in general. It dosnt take that much force to press down guitar strings. Well, maybe it you use pretty thick strings like .13s or something.

The 3 finger approach to shaping a power chord is probably the best way to hold one but the two finger approach will probably allow you to do it faster.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by Thegian
Use a lighter touch on ... well playing in general. It dosnt take that much force to press down guitar strings. Well, maybe it you use pretty thick strings like .13s or something.

The 3 finger approach to shaping a power chord is probably the best way to hold one but the two finger approach will probably allow you to do it faster.

Right on...I've seen both styles and chose to go with the 2 finger approach cause it was faster/easier at the time.

Time to learn em all using the 3 finger approach - cause that is WAY easier for me to slide with and not burn my hand out too quickly.