ive been wanting to learn for a while so i bought a strat squire (cheap) just to get started. ive been getting better but i will hear any advice fro you guys. i like 80 metal rock. want to get a jackson pc1 in the future. any idea... thanks guys...
Just keep practicing as much as possible. Start reading about music theory as much as possible.
Well... it seems like the only think you wanted to hear from us is if you can get a super expensive guitar in the future. My advice would be go for it if you have that kind of money. Until then, you should look a little "Closer to home" with the guitars more in your price range. That would mean somewhere under $1k probably.

Some of the best guitars are less than $2k. More money doesn't always mean better guitar.
chromatic scales, otherwise known as the spider technique , look it up, and do it for 10 hours a day,
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
i can get a jackson pc 1 for about 1500 ... that's an ok amount i dont think i would get hurt at that price range, ive been watching you tube for some lessons... learning from the scratch. i really dont know much but can play enter sand man a bit just got to work on my timing. my finger tips have gotten a beating lately...thanks in advance..
the only lesson ive ever truly had was a sheet of chords my stepdad drew for me. the only lesson ive ever been to all i did was talk to the guy about Jimmy Page lol.... so yeah just look at random tabs that you would be interested in playing and look at youtube videos and instructional columns on this site and youll be fine. one thing i gotta say though is, you have to want it BAD. i love guitar so ****ing much its insane, and i try to teach ppl that just want to be able to play in campfires and **** and its a HUGE waste of time.

to impress it on you again, you REALLY have to want it
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
In my opinion, getting guitar pro really helped me out with timing and such. Theres a lot less guess work involved (at least for me) but like all tabs sometimes they can be wrong, but all it takes is a quick listen to the original song, a little mucking around the fretboard and you're done :P

I started out by learning chords (Em, E, A, D, Dm, G, C, etc...all the basic ones), then worked on my picking technique, tremolo picking and alternate picking, palm mutes, hammer ons / pull offs, etc. Then start going into scales and what not (Again GP is very helpful in this area) . Tbh I don't know that much about electric guitar, I've been playing for a few months, but I've played acoustic for about 2 years, so I'm not sure my advice is very accurate :/

But as God said you just want to REALLY want it and practice, practice, practice. Honestly, practice is the ONLY way you'll be able to play really well. Time isn't really a big influence since we all have different learning curves, so just go over each technique until you've grasped it entirely
Quote by autodynamics
i devoted. practicing every night . slowly getting better. and i mean slowly.

just keep at it bud, try getting some private, hands on lessons at a near music store, cause they can show you in person all your errors and fix them, way better than any free online lesson, but, still use the online lessons as a "supplement"

and learning should go at a slow face, like 15~30 minutes a day for learning, 10 hours a day on chromatic scales,

the reason, is because the mind will learn theory/songs/technical stuff better at short intervals, which is why you don't have school all day,

but, physical exercises such as picking technique , finger dexterity/speed(chromatic scale practice) and such you can practice for as long as you like.

and practice with a metronome, start at like 75, move up at intervals of 4 when you can do a practice session perfectly at that speed, and keep turning it up till you can't.

metronome= more efficient practice,

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

free metronome for the computer

good luck man

[edit]

Quote by kaios09
In my opinion, getting guitar pro really helped me out with timing and such. Theres a lot less guess work involved (at least for me) but like all tabs sometimes they can be wrong, but all it takes is a quick listen to the original song, a little mucking around the fretboard and you're done :P

If you can't get your hands on guitar pro cause of costs or some other reason, then get TUXGUITAR

its a opensource free software that can run guitar pro tab, powertab, and misc. others
http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
Last edited by shanchett99 at Mar 14, 2009,