Hey UG,
My band plays in D standard, and I was wondering what would be the best gauge to use for that tuning? I have a five string, and right now I'm using Ernie Ball regular Slinkies. (45-65-80-100-130) Also, on one other note, I do use the Low A a bit in our songs so I will need a pretty thick string. The reason I ask this is because I can't seem to find any strings heavier than the regular slinkies on musician's friend. Also, should i just order a really thick 4 string set and then just look for a single 5th string? Thanks everyone.
Smoots
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Try Power Slinkies. They're 135-105-85-70-50

Your not tuning down super low, so I imagine that would be fine. If the strings are still too floppy try going up another .05 across the board.
ya i just ordered some power slinkys off of musicians friends that were 55-75-90-110. But thats more for like drop c or something like that.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
i got a set of 45 - 105 gauge roto swing 66's and they were great for D standard. i say WERE, my cousin got hold of them aswell as a pair of bold cutters
EDIT: i use a 4 string
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Mar 15, 2009,
The 130 will proabably be ok for D standard on a 5 string as long as it's 35" scale but I'm not totally sure on that. been awhile since I played a 5 string or more for my main bass. I would suggest a 105 85 65 45 set for the rest.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu