Page 1 of 2
Im trying to pick which I should buy and all of my favorite guitarists used both

Pete Townshend
Jimmy Page
Randy Rhoades
Zakk Wylde
Tonny Iommi
Angus Young
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix

Are my favorite guitarists
depends. SG's are fantastic in my experience. Also they are alot lighter and have a nicer feel to me, but if your in anything other than a rock band, u will find ppl think its something of a LAME guitar. Screw them tho.
Quote by boreamor
Don't buy a guitar because someone famous used it, buy it because you like tone, feel and how it plays.

This

But I love my Epiphone LP Standard
Play both and get whichever sounds & feels right.
If neither does, then get something else.

Which guitarist has or has not played is beside the point.
get something that u feel comfortable playing amd that has a tone u like.dont get a guitar just because someone else used it.besides, LP's nd SG's arent built th same way as they used to be
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by steel337
Les Paul please. SG is just a smaller pussy version of a les paul.

LOL excuse me?! you do not know what you are talking about, how in the hell is the Sg's double horn and wayy better access neck a "smaller pussy version of a les paul" if anything i find it as a improvement. honestly, think before you say something irrelevant next time
Last edited by kckyle at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by steel337

I honestly love my SG. And its really light, which i love, plus it sounds awesome
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by steel337

This is the kind of fail that could be prevented by haivng an IQ higher than your shoe size XD
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
A Les Paul has a thick, fat and rich tone with monster sustain but is in many players eyes back breakingly heavy. The upper fret access is subpar, as well.
An SG has slightly less sustain and a slightly thinner tone but makes up for it through tighter bass response, less weight and greatly improved fret access. It also looks pretty damn Rock 'n' Roll.
It depends on whether you can get on with the Les Paul's quirks.

Also, while I personally know I can play a Les Paul just as easily as I can play an SG and I prefer the sound I just gravitate more towards the SG. It's mostly personal preference.
Quote by steel337

Lmao.... haha get outta here turdbucket...

SG is a quality guitar. Beautiful body, great tone, great feel, etc.
Sixties re-issues of both have the lightest necks, with the '61 RI SG lightest of all. This is important as a lot of SG's have a nosedive tendency. I have had classics of both and its a hard choice but the SG has it unless you are talking pre '60 LP.
And if you are you can afford both.
And a Vee for Sundays.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by EJD

Need I say more?

u mean that SGs are grampas guitars?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker

acdc may be old but they're still one of the best rock groups out there better than the new sh*t

sg (hate les pauls )
and sg are light,have awesome sound
From what I have been reading, people say both these guitars suck quality wise, unless you get a higher end one like a Standard. Is this true?

For example some of the LP's I was looking at-Studio and Studio Vintage Mahogany, and also the SG Faded Special get some terrible reviews on Musicians Friend for quality- sharp edges, always going out of tune, paint chipping, etc..

Anyone have any input? Im not bashing these guitars, because I WANT ONE. I just wanna hear from some experienced UG'ers
SG: Light
Les Paul: Heavy, you can't carry it
SG: Ultra Access Neck - Les Paul: Limited Access Neck due to shape
Les Paul: Beautiful - SG: UGLY!!!

I would go with the les paul (.) (.) > Boobies!
Quote by steel337

+100

Oh, and to bigfoamfinger, seriously, don't read articles.. Go out, PLAY SOME. Work it out for yourself rather than changing your mind on which guitar to get because of different reviews.
Last edited by TonalPerfection at Mar 15, 2009,
I really like SG's and always have. I dont like the shape of the Les Paul and they are heavy. If your worried about quality control on the specials just go and play some.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Also, don't only try out sg's and lp's. try out other models (super-strat styles) or your ideal guitar may even be an explorer. Try out a LOT of guitars.
Quote by bigfoamfinger
From what I have been reading, people say both these guitars suck quality wise, unless you get a higher end one like a Standard. Is this true?

For example some of the LP's I was looking at-Studio and Studio Vintage Mahogany, and also the SG Faded Special get some terrible reviews on Musicians Friend for quality- sharp edges, always going out of tune, paint chipping, etc..

Anyone have any input? Im not bashing these guitars, because I WANT ONE. I just wanna hear from some experienced UG'ers

Yeah, I've heard the new ones aren't too great but I've never tried one, so I can't say for sure. My suggestion would be to try to find an older one used. I know the 1990-1995 les paul studios, as well as their older counterparts, are believed to be les paul standards except with worse paint jobs and cosmetics than actual standards. Try to find one of these older studios if you want one. I have one and although the pickups are modified, it's a great guitar.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Quote by David BcRich
Im trying to pick which I should buy and all of my favorite guitarists used both

Pete Townshend
Jimmy Page
Randy Rhoades
Zakk Wylde
Tonny Iommi
Angus Young
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix

Are my favorite guitarists

You spelled Rhoads wrong!!!

Don't look for a specific shape, look for a sound. That's how I found my Ibanez.
Quote by ilikeguitar90
Yeah, I've heard the new ones aren't too great but I've never tried one, so I can't say for sure. My suggestion would be to try to find an older one used. I know the 1990-1995 les paul studios, as well as their older counterparts, are believed to be les paul standards except with worse paint jobs and cosmetics than actual standards. Try to find one of these older studios if you want one. I have one and although the pickups are modified, it's a great guitar.

Cool. Will do. Ya I have read the newer ones don't have as good of quality of wood as the older ones. Something about Gibson having a tougher time coming across good wood to use nowadays.
Quote by Dio10101
You spelled Rhoads wrong!!!

Don't look for a specific shape, look for a sound. That's how I found my Ibanez.

THANK YOU.
You are the only other person I've ever met who spells it properly. With everybody else it's Rhodes, Rhoades, Rhoadds, Rhuudes, Rawds, Rtufn, Hoders, Hroads...
On topic.
After watching Joe Bonamassa play Sloe Gin on youtube at the North Sea Jazz Festival about 15 times in a row the Les Paul has started to appear very cool to me indeed. An SG just looks vulgar and tasteless in comparison.
But then I look at Angus Young and an SG starts to look Rock 'n' Roll where the Les Paul looks boring and old fashioned.
It's a question of vibe more than anything.
All of those people except for 2 have had SGs at some point, so if those are the tones your looking for then the SG will suit you fine. I love mine.

Also, seems to be a lot of SG users here. Has the SG Thread scared you all off or something?
yeah SGs are nice geetars, neck dive takes a little bit to get used to, but once you get used to it its nothing, also it has amazing fret access, weighs nothing, ACDC used it and they got sick tone

however the Les Paul has a beautiful arched body, usually slightly thinner neck, richer tone, but also lacks high fret access (if you notice most ppl using Les Paul want rich tone but dont shred high notes often; obviously exceptions, slash goes for the high pitch notes, as does zakk wylde)

if your only going for an SG or Les Paul its really preference, go try em out, my biggest factors were the neck dive vs the poor upper fret access, i chose the neck dive SG and dont mind it(and im using an epiphone, where the neck dive compared to the gibson is pathetic, the centre of mass of the guitar is like half way down the neck)
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
If you can't make up your mind, get both...like I did.
Gear:
Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Gretsch G6118T Anniversary
Fender Standard Telecaster
Epi Les Paul Standard
Fender Showmaster

Peavey Valveking Half Stack

My YouTube Channel
I like the SGs tone, therefore I like its harshness, its bite. Also the Neck pickup acts more like a middle pickup can get a few unusal tones from it. SGs ftw!
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Quote by EJD

Need I say more?

I really don't think I need to go on...

Although Les Pauls are damn heavy...

And also, Name me a band/guitarist that is well known for playing SG's out of rock/metal?
Last edited by TonalPerfection at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by Dawnwalker

ok i have to agree with you. Les Paul all the way.
Quote by TonalPerfection

I really don't think I need to go on...

Although Les Pauls are damn heavy...

And also, Name me a band/guitarist that is well known for playing SG's out of rock/metal?

ok. i prefer Les Pauls. BUT Daron Makalian (however you spell it.) of System of a Down used a SG right before they went on haiatus...
i like the sound and feel of lp's alot better than sg's. i have a gibson les paul studio and my buddy josh has a gibson sg standard which i play often and i would take the lp over the sg any day of the week hands down
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
Quote by kckyle
LOL excuse me?! you do not know what you are talking about, how in the hell is the Sg's double horn and wayy better access neck a "smaller pussy version of a les paul" if anything i find it as a improvement. honestly, think before you say something irrelevant next time

... YOU don't know what YOUR talking about.

Even though his way of putting it was wrong, what he's saying is actually right.

The SG was diversed from the LP, it was a design to fight the fender stratocaster, and was easier to make, cutting costs.

It was still called a Les Paul, not too sure, but Les Paul (actual guitarist/creator of Les Paul) didn't like how the SG looked, and had to give it a name change, since the guitar didn't have his confirmation as well. Gibson had to change it.

It's sort of like if your mother gave you a great breakfast of bacon eggs and toast each day, then your dad lost his job, and your family has to cut costs, so your breakfast is now just toast.

It's still a breakfast, but a smaller pussy version of your old breakfast.

Same with the SG, it USED to be a LP, but it was designed to fight Strats and was a smaller, less costy version of it.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Quote by wair138
It's still a breakfast, but a smaller pussy version of your old breakfast.

I don't care for SG's for the obvious reason, the neck heaviness.
Page 1 of 2