I just started playing and have a hard time stretching my fingers especially my pinky to reach all the strings. How can i learn to stretch and also strenghten my fingers.I think i'm holding the neck right but i can't curve my pinky enought to get clean sound. Does this just come with time.
yeah, just play, you'll get there. I'm 2 years on and I still can't use my pinky properly, probably because I neglect it often.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
yeah, just play, you'll get there. I'm 2 years on and I still can't use my pinky properly, probably because I neglect it often.

I would really start using it, its limiting you if you don't.

I neglected my pinky for 5 months, then I cut my ring finger (on purpose so it hurt like hell to play with it) and I replaced everything I played my ring finger with my pinky.

I sucked the entire time but by the time my ring finger healed, I could properly use my pinky.

Still haven't regretted doing so.

Although I do not suggest cutting your ring finger :x that was just the only way I could force myself to use my pinky....

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
imo, legato exercises are a good way to strengthen the pinky. play the guitar clean: 1^3^4^3^1 etc for about a minute (or really just as long as you can) also do 1^2^4^2^1. (start on 5th fret). do that a few times every time you play and in a week or two do entire scales legato style (just look at the scales on gosk.com) which will then mix it up.

really its just about playing tho
i'd say as early as you can start doing exercises that use all four fingers. even simple stuff like straight chromatic runs up and down the fretboard will help drastically if done for a while.
also practicing trills helps increase finger strength and dexterity nicely.
Quote by God's Guitarist
imo, legato exercises are a good way to strengthen the pinky. play the guitar clean: 1^3^4^3^1 etc for about a minute (or really just as long as you can) also do 1^2^4^2^1. (start on 5th fret). do that a few times every time you play and in a week or two do entire scales legato style (just look at the scales on gosk.com) which will then mix it up.

really its just about playing tho

it might be me but when i was starting out (or even now) i found that if i couldn't handle the left hand motion while picking it's near impossible with legato.
i'd practice licks/runs while picking every note and using all four fingers for a while if i were you.
once you feel comfortable with it try it legato to really build up finger strength.
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
Last edited by arizonagt at Mar 15, 2009,