So i played my friends vintage fender bassman 135 the other night. Best sound ive ever heard. was so good. just had the tubes replaced and the best tone ive ever heard. so im wondering do they still make bassman heads? I know they makke the combos but i prefer the heads. Or would i have to go second had and get a vintage one?

any help appreciated
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
Quote by WtrPlyr
A vintage one would get you the through sound. Was your friends vintage?

"So i played my friends vintage fender bassman 135 the other night."

I think that answers that.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
yeh not sure exactly when. think it was mid 70s but could be wrong. do they still producer them?
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
You can get old silverface bassmans for quite cheap. I think they produce the bassman combos now, and bassman heads for bass but I think they're different.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
You can get vintage 'Bassmen Ten' Combos on ebay for £400-500 (You do the conversion) They sound just as good, especially with a nice tube upgrade. Originally designed for bass, like most of the good fender combos.

The '59 RI Bassmans really aren't anything special, they need a solid state rectifier mod or a weber copper cap or something in them to really sound as good as they should.

The best ones to look out for are the Bassman 135's like you played, or you can get a silverface bassman, one of the shortlived guitar versions, with the 'Vibrato' inputs for about £500-£600.

Scour ebay, every day, twice. You'll find something good. Just make sure if you get a head you get the Bassman/Bandmaster/Showmaster Fender 2x15 Cabinet, most silverface fender heads just lack a certain 'Oomph' pushing smaller speakers, they can handle 12's, but there needs to be 4

Hope that helped a bit
From what i've read the Silverface models before the 135watt version, eg early-mid 70's models are a lot better.
You can get a SF Bassman 50 or 100 or 135 for between 400 and 700 dollars. You can find a BF one for about 600-1000, and Blonde ones for about 1000-1500.

FWIW.
i just got a bassman ten yesterday for 400usd its not all original but till sound amazing

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by mr_tea
So i played my friends vintage fender bassman 135 the other night. Best sound ive ever heard. was so good. just had the tubes replaced and the best tone ive ever heard. so im wondering do they still make bassman heads? I know they makke the combos but i prefer the heads. Or would i have to go second had and get a vintage one?

any help appreciated

There is a reissue but you can buy vintage ones for pretty cheap that sound amazing. Check CL or ebay
only other thing is that im in australia. they dont seem to go for much cheaper then 1500ish. What else would be in that price range?
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
Quote by WtrPlyr
Was your friends vintage?

How old must a friend be to be considered vintage?

Quote by mr_tea
only other thing is that im in australia. they dont seem to go for much cheaper then 1500ish. What else would be in that price range?

Didn't you just say that that amp was "the best sound you've ever heard"? If you buy such an amp, you're pretty much set for the rest of your life.
Don't cheap out.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by Hultan
How old must a friend be to be considered vintage?

Didn't you just say that that amp was "the best sound you've ever heard"? If you buy such an amp, you're pretty much set for the rest of your life.
Don't cheap out.

+1 to all this though ^