well there are some new posts so i think this might be working again, sorry if it isnt... i've already tried this the first two times it said it didnt post, but then i realised it did sorry bout that. I have a b-155 ltd 5-string bass at the moment which i dont like and am thinking of getting a new bass. An American Deluxe Jazz 5-string, a sunburst one. I was wondering if anyone has ever played one and if so are they good?
While the Deluxe Jazz's are awesome, I've found the 5 strings not be quite as awesome, Fender don't seem to be able to do the B string as well as some other companies.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I don't play bass, but I have heard the Jazz's are nice. Lakeland are really nice basses too...
...then why are you in the bass forum
and what do you think is wrong with the b string?
Tends to be a bit floppy and lacking power. but the one I played might not of been a Duluxe MIA, it's been a while since I played it, if I were you I'd go try it out before you make a sale.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I would ask you to consider this instead:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Jazz-Bass-24-V-5-String-Bass-Guitar-511893-i1401145.gc

which is essentially the same bass for about a grand less: it has Basslines pickups rather than Fender noiseless, and the neck isnt graphite reinforced, which makes you wonder why you'd pay an extra $1,000 for the American Deluxe. For that amount you could get a whole graphite neck, with enough spare for some '60s replica pickups, or upgrade your rig. So, unless MIA means that much to you, Id really recommend checking that out.
if you have the money to throw around on a 5 string MIA DX fender you should look at lakland. The Joe Osborn and Darryl Jones sig 5 strings is the best fender style 5 string you can get.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Judging by how often I see these go for next to nothing used, I'm going to guess people don't think it's all that great.
Any (ATTENTION) NEW AMERICAN Fender, Gibson, Musicman and whatever are of terrible quality. I cannot even stress how shoddy they are. I played a 1998 American five string it was great. Only it had all of the stock POS electronics replaced. Pro bassists don't settle for stock. However, new Fenders that I either played in stores or at expos are crap. No wonder we are in a crisis right now, you shouldn't sell s*ite to people for such extreme prices.

Go eBay, find one. Active Deluxe fivers are usually purchased by pro or skilled bassists and are treated accordingly. And most importantly for any instrument is, just like with engines, to be "played in" for couple of years.
Do it. You won't do it.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I never thought the B string on Fenders were to bad. Probably not as tight ass I would have liked, but far from being terrible.

EDIT: Freud was right.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by Captain Insano
I never thought the B string on Fenders were to bad. Probably not as tight ass I would have liked, but far from being terrible.

EDIT: Freud was right.

at that price range i'd just go play everything within 50 miles and see what feels best
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
^He's right, you are practically within Sadowsky range, certainly within Lakland, and I imagine not far from MTD or Mike Lull, although Im not sure how these US boutiques rank, and they all have a much better rep than Fender at the moment.

\/ Ill second that, my Stingrays are post 2000 and are great, certainly as well as one of the old-school Stingrays I played with the foam mutes on the bridge (although the mutes rocked.)
Last edited by the_underling at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by Bassilo
Any (ATTENTION) NEW AMERICAN Fender, Gibson, Musicman and whatever are of terrible quality. I cannot even stress how shoddy they are. I played a 1998 American five string it was great. Only it had all of the stock POS electronics replaced. Pro bassists don't settle for stock. However, new Fenders that I either played in stores or at expos are crap. No wonder we are in a crisis right now, you shouldn't sell s*ite to people for such extreme prices.

Go eBay, find one. Active Deluxe fivers are usually purchased by pro or skilled bassists and are treated accordingly. And most importantly for any instrument is, just like with engines, to be "played in" for couple of years.

I disagree with this.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
bassilo's right to an extent. Most MIA instruments aren't worth their price tag, they lack in quality and tone. But it's a poor generalisation to say all MIA instruments are ****, there are some gems but the turd to gem ratio is what you would expect from MIC and MII squiers not MIA fenders
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.