My mate recently bought an EMG 81/85 set, and he thinks any other pickup is worthless.

The guitar I'm looking at has EMG 81/60 in it, and I'm wondering if because what my mate said, the 60 is useless and I should get an 85 instead.

So whats the difference (if any) between an EMG 85 and 60 in the neck position?

Bear in mind this guy thinks the only guitars that are good for metal are Jacksons...and he loves Behringers to death.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
"This guy" is an idiot, don't listen to him.
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Good.

So I'll be fine with the 60?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Haha I wouldn't listen to him:

1) There are FAR more pickups which are superior to EMG
2) While Jackson are nice... there's many more companies to choose from
3) Behringer... is always pretty bad quality.

The 60 is far nicer than the 85 - whatever he says, don't pay any attention.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i'v played on both, 60s and 85s.. I'd definately prefer 60s for the "fuller" cleans. It just sounds better. Not that much of a diff with massive amounts of gain.
Set up:-
Kustom Sound 40W Guitar Amp
Marshall MG15 CD
Zoom 707 II (surprisingly good..)
VOX Tonelab ST
Jackson DK2M (Seymour duncan TB4 and the SD jazz)
Quote by EndTheRapture51
My mate recently bought an EMG 81/85 set, and he thinks any other pickup is worthless.

The guitar I'm looking at has EMG 81/60 in it, and I'm wondering if because what my mate said, the 60 is useless and I should get an 85 instead.

Bear in mind this guy thinks the only guitars that are good for metal are Jacksons...and he loves Behringers to death.

well i think that voids his opinion from now on.
Why are Behringers so bad?

Anyway this guy has a cheap Laney, does that make him better?

@CrimsonBizzare
They are the same as the 81 and 85. just coil tap.

@EndTheRapture51
Behringers guitar stuff just isn't that good. bad quality. Bugera are nice amps if you are on a budget and they're studio stuff is suppose to be pretty good for the price they offer. just the guitar stuff that sucks.

Also if you get EMGs do the 18V mod or get the new X series.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Okay good...

And to think I nearly bought a Behringer on his recommendation rather than the Vox I eventually got....I'll never listen to him ever again haha

The EMG 60 can do cleans really well, while the 85 is nothing but low end noise(I have one). Your friend is just a brand band-wagoner. Although Jacksons do own, you can play metal on a multitude of other brands.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
i like the 85 for bluez. it's an alnico magnet, as opposed to ceramic magnet in the 60. so the 85 is a bit looser.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Whats the difference between the magnets?

And are Seymour Duncan Blackouts better than EMGs?

Also...this kid said to me today that PRS are rubbish guitars, and they are just a badly made combination of a Tele, Strat, LP and SG, and only the most expensive PRS guitars can match up to a Jackson RR1, and PRS produce rubbish tones. Needless to say, now all of his opinions are invalid.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Whats the difference between the magnets?

And are Seymour Duncan Blackouts better than EMGs?

Also...this kid said to me today that PRS are rubbish guitars, and they are just a badly made combination of a Tele, Strat, LP and SG, and only the most expensive PRS guitars can match up to a Jackson RR1, and PRS produce rubbish tones. Needless to say, now all of his opinions are invalid.

The kid doesn't knows ****. PRS are great guitars. just a bit overpriced in my opinion. but not as overpriced as Gibson. Also these 2 guitar are totally different tone wood. of course one won't sound like the other.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Your friend sounds like an idiot. PRS make great guitars, Jacksons are good but not the be all and end all and Behringers are giant turds.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by EndTheRapture51

1. your friend reminds me of another friend i have, he thinks he NEEDS a halfstack and at the used shop hes thinking about taking a cheap kirk hammet stack over a JCM900 combo, and he put EMG's in his guitar and he says their the BEST

2. the 60 gives great cleans, its better in the neck than the 85 imo.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.