Well I've been getting into like 80's hair metal/rock music, and I was wondering what are some good places to start album wise.

Also does anybody know of modern bands that kind of have that 80's feel to them?

Thanks
I Personaly would start with Dr Feelgood by Motley Crue.. then again alot of people cant stand them. as for modern bands that have an 80's feel check out Hardcore Superstar.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
This is right up my alley:

Some of these the album titles aren't coming to me right now, so just google them.

Dokken
Ratt (Invasion of your privacy)
Scorpions (any album)
Yngwie Malmsteen (Rising Force, & Odyssey)
Motley Crue (Theater of Pain)
Quiet Riot (Metal Health)
Def Leppard (Pyromania)
Slaughter
Warrant (Cherry Pie)
Cinderella
Skid Row

So many more....
Last edited by c21vin at Mar 15, 2009,
Can't beleive Poison havn't been said!

Yeah Poison.

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

The only modern band i know that sounds like 80's rock would be Airborne and Steel Panther( but they are more of a live band and are sort of like Spin. But if your looking for good places to start your collection here is what i would recommend

Dokken - Under Lock and Key
W.A.S.P. - W.A.S.P.
Ratt - Out of The Cellar
Extreme - Extreme
Krokus - Headhunter
Kix - Blow My Fuse
Great White - Once Bitten
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Vinnie Vincent - All Systems Go
Kiss - Animalize
Winger - In the Heart of the Young
Poison - Look What the Cat Dragged In
Motley Crue - Girls Girls Girls

It also depends alot where you are buying although most of those albums I listed are fairly easy to find. Most big box music stores or electronic stores don't have a huge selection when it comes to this genre (sadly). Your best bet for finding music is most likely the internet or an independant music store. Luckily for me there is one near my house and the used music section is a godsend for 80s metal I can't tell you how many out of print cds i have found that have been traded in. You can ask certain stores if they can order disks but you will quickly learn that most if not all are out of print and will have to be shipped from different areas of the world sometimes they can find em and you get lucky, some times they cant.

Tldr : Go to an independant music store look through all the used music, big box stores are ok, internet is prbably your best bet to find music
Sounds like? - "A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN WHAT YOU"RE LISTENING TO ON YOUR IPOD RIGHT NOW!"
- Steel Panther
Motley Fukin Crue!
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by c21vin
This is right up my alley:

Some of these the album titles aren't coming to me right now, so just google them.

Dokken
Ratt (Invasion of your privacy)
Scorpions (any album)
Yngwie Malmsteen (Rising Force, & Odyssey)
Motley Crue (Theater of Pain)
Quiet Riot (Metal Health)
Def Leppard (Pyromania)
Slaughter
Warrant (Cherry Pie)
Cinderella
Skid Row

So many more....

There early stuff was NOT 80s rock, because it was in the 70s AND they weren't hair rock then. I demand you change that to 80s only!!

Anyway, apart the slight error there, I agree with list.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
Motley Fukin Crue!

Amen bro. The only 80's bands worth bothering with are Motley, LA Guns, W.A.S.P and Vain (who could have been big if grunge hadn't ruined the party).

Obviously Guns N Roses too, but i wouldn't really count them part of the glam scene.
Faster Pussycat!
Poison
Vain
Tigertailz
Smashed Gladys - Social Intercourse
Blackboard Jungle - not really hair metal but awesome all the same
Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation or Pump
Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid (its '91 but meh)

Edit: if you're including hard rock:
Zodiac Mindwarp - Tattooed Beat Messiah (listen here wolfchild muahaha)
Van Halen
Whitesnake
Last edited by zhilla at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by MoleMania
There early stuff was NOT 80s rock, because it was in the 70s AND they weren't hair rock then. I demand you change that to 80s only!!

Anyway, apart the slight error there, I agree with list.

My bad. I got carried away....
I know these guys aren't actually from the 80's but check out Bang Camaro. Basically everything good about 80's rock with 3x the guitar solo's
Quote by alkalineweeman
I Personaly would start with Dr Feelgood by Motley Crue.. then again alot of people cant stand them. as for modern bands that have an 80's feel check out Hardcore Superstar.

I definitely think Dr Feelgood is a great place to start.

One of my friends hated them and did not give a damn about 80s metal, except perhaps Appetite for Destruction. I told him to buy Dr Feelgood, and he absolutely loves it!

Hardcore Superstar are definitely one of the best glam metal bands around today. So many rock bands are either fake or their music sucks. Hardcore pull it off well. Some other good bands are Crashdiet and Vains of Jenna.

I'd also suggest some Ratt.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
W.A.S.P.
Motley Crue
Guns n Roses (It's the same idea as most glam bands)
Ratt
Cinderella (Night Songs is the most glammy, everything else is more bluesy-hard rock)
Quiet Riot
Van Halen (More hard rock, but has 80s vibe)
Twisted Sister
Whitesnake
White Lion
Winger
Bang Tango
Slaughter
Aerosmith's 80s albums (but Rocks is their best)
how could I forget Kix?

Some more modern bands that are like those are:

Dirty Penny (Sound A LOT like crue to me)
Crashdiet (I don't like them much, but everyone else seems to)
Beautiful Creatures (Sounds good, but it's hard to find.)

EDIT: bolded my personal favorites
EDIT2: lol that's like half of them
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
Last edited by deadgearsrising at Mar 23, 2009,
Basically all you need to start off is:

Motley Crue- SHOUT AT THE DEVIL
and
Ratt- Out of the Cellar
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
you absolutely ****ing have to listen to,
slippery when wet and new jersey by Bon Jovi.
Whitesnake greatest hits - whitesknake
as well as the best of warrant.
oh, and W.A.S.P by W.A.S.P
Shivi
There is a band called Late of the Pier that is very 80s-ish. In fact, they are just abut carbon copies of Gary Numan