3/4 and 6/8 time signatures does that mean that for 3/4 you'd have to miss 1 beat intentionally and for 6/8 you miss two beats?
no, first u should learn beat values
Whole = 4
Half = 2
Quater = 1
Eighth = .5
that my way of seeing it

3/4 has 3 quater beats or 6 eighth beats
6/8 has 3 quater beats or 6 eighth beats

so for 6/8 u still miss that 1 beat intentionally

your on the right track for time signatures so keep it up
I know beat values but I've never played in any other time signature before
Whole doesnt mean just 4 beats, a whole note or whole rest will take up the whole measure. so say you had a 17/4 measure, the whole note or whole rest would be 17 beats long.
Not of the same value.
3/4 times is made up of 3 quarter notes in 4 beats, and 6/8 is 6 eighth notes in the same amount of time.
Simply, 6/8 time would sound like 2 sets of 8th note triplets played in 4/4 time.
3/4- 3 quarter notes in a measure.
6/8- 6 eighth notes in meaure
Obviously there doesn't have to be just quarter notes or just eighth notes. I play guitar and I'm in orchestra and we recently played a song in both 3/4 and 6/8.
Quote by DerAj2
Whole doesnt mean just 4 beats, a whole note or whole rest will take up the whole measure. so say you had a 17/4 measure, the whole note or whole rest would be 17 beats long.

no, it always equals a 4/4 beat other wise how else would u transcribe a measure in "17/4" with lots of little crotchets everywhere.

no so typically the Whole or the Semi breve will equal 4
its just that in a Meter (i'm dutch and looked it up but i think it it really sounded strange, so i'll explain a bit, on a Staff for musical notes, you have like 4 quarter notes in a 4/4 meter)
you can have different lengths, you could have a meter of 4/4 but also 3/4 os that means there are only 3 quarter noter in one meter
Quote by Rave765
I know beat values but I've never played in any other time signature before

Sorry thats ok, just never no where everyone Skill level and knowledge is on this site,
but i believe other people have answered the question now mate hope it helps
in simple terms 3/4 is 3beats per measure and the quarter note gets the beat. 6/8 is 6 beats per measure and the 8th note gets the beats. on some song at least for different instruments and playing concert music count 6/8 in a different way that i really cant explain through the cpu
Quote by DerAj2

Really? I never see whole notes in 3/4, just dotted halves.