when playing pentatonic stuff, i often use my middle and ring ring fingers to play the "standard" 2-note-per-string box patterns, and use my pinky to play a third note on the string. i haven't seen many people do this. do any of you guys do this?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
are the forums fixed now im guessing?
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
i do this so i can do 5-fret stretches at will, like this
-------------------------------------------------------7-10-12
--------------------------------------------7-10-12-----------
-----------------------------------7-9-11---------------------
-------------------------7-9-12-------------------------------
---------------7-9-12-----------------------------------------
-7--10--12---------------------------------------------------

i also add tapping so i don't end on one string with the next note on the first

and, no, el gigante, it isn't a major scale
Quote by AA00P
Quote by guitarsftw

Well, that's different than the standard 2 nps versions that you mentioned in your original post.

For what you have there I would use Index - Ring - pinky.... or Index- middle - pinky.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well, that's different than the standard 2 nps versions that you mentioned in your original post.

For what you have there I would use Index - Ring - pinky.... or Index- middle - pinky.

if you take out the 12th fret notes on each string, it is the standard 2nps box format, i just add the note that would come first on the next highest string with my pinky
Quote by AA00P
Quote by guitarsftw
if you take out the 12th fret notes on each string, it is the standard 2nps box format, i just add the note that would come first on the next highest string with my pinky

I understand that. You're basically just doubling notes.

Anyway what was your point? To see if this is your own unique/original approach?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by guitarsftw

I do that kind of thing if I want to do some crazy legato, or really fast linear scale runs. Although I do it somewhat differently than you've posted since what you're doing is kind of redundant since you're doubling the end note on one string, with the same note on the next string.

My way is like this

||------------------------------------------------------------||
||------------------------------------------------17--19--22--||
||------------------------------------14--16--19--------------||
||------------------------12--14--16--------------------------||
||-------------9--12--14--------------------------------------||
||--7--10--12-------------------------------------------------||
Quote by icronic
I do that kind of thing if I want to do some crazy legato, or really fast linear scale runs. Although I do it somewhat differently than you've posted since what you're doing is kind of redundant since you're doubling the end note on one string, with the same note on the next string.

My way is like this

thats the exact way i do it, i was just attempting to show how the box pattern fit into it, or i will play it the way i wrote it, just with string skipping, so i don't sound redundant as you put it
Quote by AA00P
Quote by GuitarMunky
I understand that. You're basically just doubling notes.

Anyway what was your point? To see if this is your own unique/original approach?

i know im not the only guy who does it, i was just wondering how many others did it
Quote by AA00P
Quote by icronic

My way is like this

What you guys are talking about is gluing 2 pentatonic boxes together into 1 finger position. What you can really do with that is a lot of linear pentatonic runs that can be strictly economy picked. It's a cool technique, but pretty hard. With that "diagonal" approach above, you have 5 possible diagonals to get used to. Combined with the large finger stretches can make it very difficult to keep track of. There's also ways of using the same basic technique, but it doesn't have to go diagonally up the neck to linearly play the scale -- it's all in 1 position (with no doubled notes either).
Quote by edg
What you guys are talking about is gluing 2 pentatonic boxes together into 1 finger position. What you can really do with that is a lot of linear pentatonic runs that can be strictly economy picked. It's a cool technique, but pretty hard. With that "diagonal" approach above, you have 5 possible diagonals to get used to. Combined with the large finger stretches can make it very difficult to keep track of. There's also ways of using the same basic technique, but it doesn't have to go diagonally up the neck to linearly play the scale -- it's all in 1 position (with no doubled notes either).

I came across the technique accidentally as a byproduct of the way I practiced learning the pentatonic boxes across the whole neck of the guitar. I would practice going up one box, then down the next from one end of the neck to the other then I would eliminate a string each time I made it all the way up and back until I was playing the pentatonics on just two strings. That kind of gave me the idea of 3 note per string pentatonics.

The obvious application is fast linear runs, but actually you can get some really unique things out of playing them that way, things like really wide pull offs if you eliminate the "middle" note, and some really cool runs that combine economy picking, sweep picking legato and sliding that really don't sound like your normal scale runs.

Although out of curiosity, how can you do that in one position with a pentatonic scale? Either I'm missing something incredibly obvious, or you're talking about 7 note scales.