When I play my high E string, it's in tune, but if I play the 12th fret, it's flat.
Is something wrong with the guitar's set up?
The strings on this guitar are about 1.5 yrs old though, so could that be it too?
Your guitar needs to have its intonation set up better. You can do it yourself, play a open note, then play the 12th fret...if it's flat you want to adjust the bridge so the string is "shorter" (Moving the bridge twoards the pickups....if the 12th fret note is sharp, you move it away.
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
Yeah i'd check the intonation
Ibanez Rg350EX
Couple a dodgy copys
Digitech RP500
Beringher UNtral-Medal
Zoom G2
Marshall MG30DFX
Vox Pathfinder
Quote by HellBent1337
Your guitar needs to have its intonation set up better. You can do it yourself, play a open note, then play the 12th fret...if it's flat you want to adjust the bridge so the string is "shorter" (Moving the bridge twoards the pickups....if the 12th fret note is sharp, you move it away.

I could be mistaken, but isn't this the acoustic forum, where (most) guitars don't have pickups?
I'm not sure where to start with an intonation issue, possibly at the bridge?
I'd change the strings first... then check the intonation. 1.5 years is way too long to go without changing them.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Yes, the new strings are the first place to start. Also, make sure your style of playing isn't causing the problem. Next would be to check the overall setup (action, frets, etc.). Unfortunately, if those don't solve the issue, there is little that can be done (without major surgery) to fix it. It isn't quite as straight forward as intonating an electric.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Mar 15, 2009,
The string change will probably fix it.

If not you're gonna have to let a pro look at it.

... just out of curiosity, how could his style of playing make the 12th fret and the open string different Shred?
Quote by Sootinior
... just out of curiosity, how could his style of playing make the 12th fret and the open string different Shred?

Most likely just pushing too hard on the fret. It can make the 12th fret sound sharp.

EDIT: But that doesn't really pertain, because the thread title says the fret is flat. Silly me.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Mar 20, 2009,