What is UG's opinion on Traynor amps? I play hard rock/blues. think Deep Purple, AC/DC and when I want to go clean I like a T-bone walker type sound. I may want to buy a used Traynor YCV80q 212 for $500.
Traynors are highly regarded for a good Marshall-esque sound. I would say they're a good choice.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
not sure if it will do the tbone walker tone, unless you have a nice hollowbody, but it will guit you greatly with everything else.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by ghiyath
why go with the 50 watt? have you played it?

No heard a lot about it though.

50 watts will be plenty loud, and will get you better tones at better volumes than 80 watts.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Darkflame
i own the traynor ycv40wr and I adore it, beautiful cleans, great overdrive (although I don't use it that much)
It's pretty much the best amp you might get in its price range

well this one is an 80 watt amp, do you think the lower wattage traynors are better?
Quote by ghiyath
well this one is an 80 watt amp, do you think the lower wattage traynors are better?

they're not better, but they will sound better because you can push them harder than an 80 watt amp. unless you need headroom, which with your styles you don't need, a higher wattage amp isn't such a good choice.
definitely take the 50 over the 80 watter.
It always depends on what you want, 40 watts is more than enough really, you'll never max the volume and anyways you get mic'ed at gigs. 80 watts only means more headroom, a bit louder but so what, 40 watts is effing loud already.
I like having 40 watts because it's still easy to raise the volume and get a sweet spot without deafening the other band members on stage.
I think you might as well get a 40 or 50 watt amp, unless you need crystal-clear clean tones

edit: just re-read your original post, I don't know about this model, never tried it, but if you can get it for that cheap and want it, I'd say go for it man =)
Quote by The red Strat.
they're not better, but they will sound better because you can push them harder than an 80 watt amp. unless you need headroom, which with your styles you don't need, a higher wattage amp isn't such a good choice.
definitely take the 50 over the 80 watter.

i'll try to find a 50 watt amp then. the only reason i'm considering this one is because i can get it used for a good price. but i'll keep looking. also, how does wattage translate to speaker output? what i mean is, this amp is 80 watts through 2 12 inch speakers. other amps like the ycv50 are 50 watts through 1 12 inch speaker. does that make it sound any different?
If it has a master volume and you can get it for that price, go for it because you'll still be able to get that breakup and you'll also have the headroom if you ever want it, not that the 40w Traynors lack headroom.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by ghiyath
i'll try to find a 50 watt amp then. the only reason i'm considering this one is because i can get it used for a good price. but i'll keep looking. also, how does wattage translate to speaker output? what i mean is, this amp is 80 watts through 2 12 inch speakers. other amps like the ycv50 are 50 watts through 1 12 inch speaker. does that make it sound any different?

a 212 compared to a 112 will sound slightly fuller, and the sound will be spread better.
but there are plenty of boutique 112 amps out there, so what i mean is that the diference isn't that big.
Go with YCV 50 for your genre's too. The YCV 40 is more Fender oriented, and the 50 is more Marshall oriented, which I think is what you're going for.

I'm pretty sure the 50 and 80 are the same just less wattage, which basically means better sound at lesser volumes.

The whole 1x12 vs. 2x12 thing is really that the 2x12 will be every so slightly louder, have some more bass response, and weigh another 30 lbs. heavier.

I would still suggest trying as many amps out as you can before you buy.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by shadow__666
If it has a master volume and you can get it for that price, go for it because you'll still be able to get that breakup and you'll also have the headroom if you ever want it, not that the 40w Traynors lack headroom.

it's got a master volume plus it has separate eq for drive and clean channels. i think i want this amp!
Then go for it. Keep the master volume low, and you will get that tone.

Make sure to record teh clipz0rz when you get it.

Everyone else - $500 for an 80w Traynor is a ridiculously good deal. If you don't like it you can always get more for it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666

Everyone else - $500 for an 80w Traynor is a ridiculously good deal. If you don't like it you can always get more for it.

True, very true.

Dam you shadow.

Plus you could pull the 2 outside power tubes and cut the ohms in half to cut the wattage if you wanted to.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-80-YCV80-80W-All-Tube-2x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speakers?sku=480961

so that is the amplifier with stock settings. it seems that everyone agrees that it is well worth the $500 and i should get it. I'm going to test it out soon so hopefully it will be in perfect working order. one more question, what is traynor's reputation with reliability? I know alot of people that hate fender's hot rod models because they tend to die without warning
Traynors tend to have a good rep, but you might want to check it out with a tech if you get it used. Just in case.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666

Quote by shadow__666

No you will not. This is just bullcrap. You need to crank the power amp section for that tone, which you won't be able to with the 80. (Probably not the 50 either, )
Quote by JilaX^
No you will not. This is just bullcrap. You need to crank the power amp section for that tone, which you won't be able to with the 80. (Probably not the 50 either, )

what if I pulled some tubes to lower the wattage as was suggested in an earlier post?
Quote by JilaX^

Yeah wouldn't cranking a channel volume and keep the master low get you PREAMP distortion instead of Power Amp distortion?

oh and TS, pulling the tubes would help more for a band situation than bedroom as stated. Also if you do the pulling tubes idea check in with others, I know you would pull the two outer tubes, and than either cut or double the ohms, I forgot which.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
Yeah wouldn't cranking a channel volume and keep the master low get you PREAMP distortion instead of Power Amp distortion?

oh and TS, pulling the tubes would help more for a band situation than bedroom as stated. Also if you do the pulling tubes idea check in with others, I know you would pull the two outer tubes, and than either cut or double the ohms, I forgot which.

well honestly I'm going to be using this amp for band situations. I have a little marshall MG for bedroom practice
Quote by ghiyath
well honestly I'm going to be using this amp for band situations. I have a little marshall MG for bedroom practice

Well that will work out perfectly then.

But you'll see what I mean though, you might want some more of the nice cranked tube sound, if so than just ask somebody about the tube pulling idea. I know it can be done on most amps, just don't quote me on the ohms thing.

Let us know when you get it.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
The difference between a 50 and an 80 watt amp is minimal. Because power to volume is a logrythmic relationship (for example, to be twice as loud as a 50w, you need 500 watts) the difference will not be that much. I seem to remember that the difference between a 50w and 100w Marshall is like 3-4 decibels. If you put a OD pedal before the amp, you can get some sweet tones. If it is a good price, go for it.

Oh, and I don't know much about amps and electronics, but to me, pulling tubes out of something engineered to have them in is asking for trouble.
Last edited by Chetbango at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by Chetbango
The difference between a 50 and an 80 watt amp is minimal. Because power to volume is a logrythmic relationship (for example, to be twice as loud as a 50w, you need 500 watts) the difference will not be that much. I seem to remember that the difference between a 50w and 100w Marshall is like 3-4 decibels. If you put a OD pedal before the amp, you can get some sweet tones. If it is a good price, go for it.

Oh, and I don't know much about amps and electronics, but to me, pulling tubes out of something engineered to have them in is asking for trouble.

bull****. that's not possible.
Quote by The red Strat.

nope. thats correct. its logarithmic. a 50w is 2x as loud as a 5w tube amp, 100w is 2x as loud as a 10w.
"If the blues are a living thing, Charlie Patton and Robert Johnson taught it how to walk; Muddy and Howlin' Wolf taught it to run and Stevie and Eric may have made it rock but it was T-Bone Walker who made it electric."
Quote by The red Strat.

True, google it.

The perceived difference of 3db is barely noticeable when you are talking about the levels of a cranked 50w or 100w amp. However, there are other noticeable differences. In the Marshalls, the 100w are said to have more headroom, be punchier and better bass response.
Quote by Chetbango
True, google it.

The perceived difference of 3db is barely noticeable when you are talking about the levels of a cranked 50w or 100w amp. However, there are other noticeable differences. In the Marshalls, the 100w are said to have more headroom, be punchier and better bass response.

ah, percieved difference is something entirely different from the actual difference.
Quote by The red Strat.
no, we as humans percieve volume in a different way than it actually is. 3db to the human ear can actually be louder.

If you are saying that human ears cannot perceive as accurately as a VU meter, then I agree, but either way, I don't understand your point. I said that the difference between a 50w and 100w amp is 3db, and that 3db difference is barely noticeable. Throw whatever red herrings out there that you want, but my point remains.
Quote by Chetbango
If you are saying that human ears cannot perceive as accurately as a VU meter, then I agree, but either way, I don't understand your point. I said that the difference between a 50w and 100w amp is 3db, and that 3db difference is barely noticeable. Throw whatever red herrings out there that you want, but my point remains.

my point is that a percieved difference of 3db is possible between a 50 watt and 100 watt marshall, but not an actual difference.
at high volumes, our ears compress sound so we lose the ability to judge volume accurately with cranked amps.
Quote by The red Strat.
my point is that a percieved difference of 3db is possible between a 50 watt and 100 watt marshall, but not an actual difference.
at high volumes, our ears compress sound so we lose the ability to judge volume accurately with cranked amps.

Ahhh, I understand what you mean now. But don't they sound so sweet that loud!? I wish I could play my amp as loud as I wanted to, because it does sound best very loud, but I would have hearing damage if I played it that loud all the time. Not to mention my bandmates would also be deaf and we would need a better PA for the drums and vocals.

I understand this couldn't be fixed with an attenuator or even a lower wattage amp, because of the phenomenon that you describe, our ears interpret the sound differently at higher volumes.
Quote by Chetbango
Ahhh, I understand what you mean now. But don't they sound so sweet that loud!? I wish I could play my amp as loud as I wanted to, because it does sound best very loud, but I would have hearing damage if I played it that loud all the time. Not to mention my bandmates would also be deaf and we would need a better PA for the drums and vocals.

I understand this couldn't be fixed with an attenuator or even a lower wattage amp, because of the phenomenon that you describe, our ears interpret the sound differently at higher volumes.

why couldn't it be fixed with an attenuator ?
our ears hear sound differently at high volumes, but not better