Recently I've been entertaining the thought of getting one of these two guitars.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Exotica-Koa-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516013

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Exotica-FM-12String-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512915

I've heard good things about how Koa wood sounds in an acoustic guitar, but I also love the sound that can come from a 12 stringer! Is there anyone out there with more knowledge about this stuff that can help me with the pros and cons of both? Thanks!
Ibanez SA160 electric

Old Ventura Classical
12 strings are ****ing awesome!
Gear:

Tokai Les Paul LS65
Carvin MTS3200 212 Combo
Boss SD-1 with Monte Allums GT Mod
Dunlop Crybaby

100 Watt Marshall JCM900 2x12 Combo For Sale! £400! PM Me For Details/Offers...
i'd get a six string. easier to play i think, and more common
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Hmmmm.....score is 1-1 so far
Ibanez SA160 electric

Old Ventura Classical
Are you looking for a main acoustic guitar or like, just one to add to your collection of sounds?
If its gonna be your main go for the 6string, if its adding to your sounds get a 12string. 12 strings are pretty cool
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by PussyPunk182
Are you looking for a main acoustic guitar or like, just one to add to your collection of sounds?
If its gonna be your main go for the 6string, if its adding to your sounds get a 12string. 12 strings are pretty cool

Well, I guess both, since I don't have an acoustic right now (two electrics and a classical). In that case it would both add to my sound AND be my main acoustic If anyone has played any of these guitars that'd be awesome too......so I can get a better idea of the sound.
Ibanez SA160 electric

Old Ventura Classical
IMO.. dean acoustics are crap.! dnt buy it try other brands.. seagull w/d be the best
Koa is good... but only if it's solid koa, which that definitely is not. Also, Koa can be a hit or miss wood. Some sound really good, some not so much.

As for a 12 string, I would look at this one...
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Coastline-Series-S12-Dreadnought-12-String-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516926

Takamine also makes a 12 string for around the same price.

I would also advise avoiding Dean. Their acoustic guitars are meant to be flashy rather than sounding good.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Dean acoustics are balls, with no exceptions.

And don't get a 12-string before a 6-string. You limit yourself hopelessly.

Captivate why you sold your A&L?
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Mar 15, 2009,
^ I agree that you shouldn't get a 12 string before a 6 string as well.

I sold my A&L because I don't play it anymore(I pretty much only play my Martin now). Someone I know wanted to start learning guitar, so I figured that I might as well sell it to her. Might as well sell it to someone who will cherish and use it well rather than just having it sit in it's case.
Equipment:

Fair enough, I spose you've got the seagull to keep yourself busy as well. Get much for it? I know they're not expensive at the best of times but hope you got a penny or two.

What amp are you running through by the way?
Thanks for the heads up about Dean acoustic guitars....I'll keep that in mind for the future. I appreciate you all advising me against a 12 string before a 6 string, but I'm pretty sure I can handle it. The Seagull seems like the better choice. The drive to get a 12 string started with me playing my cousin's husband's Seagull 12 stringer (don't know the model).
Ibanez SA160 electric

Old Ventura Classical
Quote by ClyWbr41
Thanks for the heads up about Dean acoustic guitars....I'll keep that in mind for the future. I appreciate you all advising me against a 12 string before a 6 string, but I'm pretty sure I can handle it. The Seagull seems like the better choice. The drive to get a 12 string started with me playing my cousin's husband's Seagull 12 stringer (don't know the model).

We're not questioning your ability to handle it, we're just saying that it's really not needed.

12-strings sound very pretty and as soon as you play one you want to get one. However, once you actually get down to it there's very little you can use it for. Try and name me 3 songs with a 12-string acoustic in it (no cheating).

Getting a 6 string is far more intelligent and you'll be able to use it much better. Also, don't think you can play 6-string music on a 12 string, it doesn't work. You need 6-string music on a 6-string and 12-string music on a 12-string. Otherwise it will sound balls.

Get a 6-string.

As for that Martin, seems like too little for a Martin, albeit a low-end one. Don't buy anything until you try it out. Since you're inexperienced with acoustics I suggest getting a knowledgable friend to go along and help you choose.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Fair enough, I spose you've got the seagull to keep yourself busy as well. Get much for it? I know they're not expensive at the best of times but hope you got a penny or two.

What amp are you running through by the way?

I got $275 for it. So more than 50% of what I originally paid. I don't have an amp at home to run it through. I just plug in to whatever whenever I need it, which is like 20% of the time.

TS, As for that Martin you listed, I would probably avoid that as well. There's no solid wood. When looking for an acoustic guitar, flashiness is what you should usually try to avoid. The most plain looking guitars are often the better choices.
Equipment:

Quote by ClaptonWannabe
We're not questioning your ability to handle it, we're just saying that it's really not needed.

12-strings sound very pretty and as soon as you play one you want to get one. However, once you actually get down to it there's very little you can use it for. Try and name me 3 songs with a 12-string acoustic in it (no cheating).

Getting a 6 string is far more intelligent and you'll be able to use it much better. Also, don't think you can play 6-string music on a 12 string, it doesn't work. You need 6-string music on a 6-string and 12-string music on a 12-string. Otherwise it will sound balls.

Get a 6-string.

As for that Martin, seems like too little for a Martin, albeit a low-end one. Don't buy anything until you try it out. Since you're inexperienced with acoustics I suggest getting a knowledgable friend to go along and help you choose.

Well, what I'm basically looking for is an acoustic that has high playability, between $300-$500, and of course has a nice, balanced sound. Alot of what I've played on my classical has been more on the darker side of the coin, I use alot of Minor voicings and such. Anything you guys would recommend knowing this?
Ibanez SA160 electric

Old Ventura Classical