Okay well I have a Line 6 Spider III 15 Watt and the different options you have are...

Treble, Gain, Master Volume, Drive, Bass, Mid, and Channel Volume. All knobs go up to 11 please tell me a good sound.

Ex:

Treble: 9
Gain: 11
Channel Volume: 10
Bass: 4
Drive: 7
Mid: 11
I would suggest the following:

Throw out that amp and buy a good amp.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne

+1000000
Quote by Justice4AllOne

This
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Best Line 6 Setting:
Insane Channel

Gain 7

Mid 6

Bass 3

Treble 8

Master Volume: 0
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Quote by manmanster
Best Line 6 Setting:
Insane Channel

Gain 7

Mid 6

Bass 3

Treble 8

Master Volume: 0

The Spider is awful and should go.
If you want a Slash sound then you need a fucking '59 Les Pal, genuine original Crybaby wah and a Marshall 2555 Jubilee. No compromise.
If what you wanted was a rough approximation, you'll still need a Les Paul and a good Marshall or Marshall model, which the Spider doesn't have.

But I digress.
Use the Marshall model on your amp, scoop the mids slightly, keep your treble and bass roughly equal and don't use too much gain/drive. He doesn't use as much as you might think.
And use the neck pickup on your Les Paul. if you don't have a Les Paul or at least a Gibson style instrument you've got no chance.
Guys, 15w ss is a practice amp, try to give the guy what he wants.

OP, try on a mild distortion setting;

Treble: 7
Gain: 4/5
Channel Volume: Whatever's appropriate, don't blow your ears out or piss your roommates/family off.
Bass: 6
Drive: There's a gain -and- a drive? ok, Whatever. Zero here, tweak it yourself 'til you find something you like.
Mid: 8/9

Ultimate settings thread might give you better ideas than this too, since I don't play G'n'R, and would never have reason to attempt dialling their tone.

Quote by Rock Pig
if you don't have a Les Paul or at least a Gibson style instrument you've got no chance.

Slash used BC Rich Mockingbirds a lot in G'n'R.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by Mazzakazza
Slash used BC Rich Mockingbirds a lot in G'n'R.

Gibson style instrument. Thick mahogany body, set 24" 3/4 scale length neck and two humbuckers.
And he wouldn't have his mids that high. Slash does scoop his mids a little.
It is incredibably hard to get any normal crunch-mid gain rock sound on any spider period.

My spider is a good practise amp for what I use, and it has usable cleans and distortion once I've tweaked it. But anything in between is not good imo. I found a quite good Chinese democracy setting the other week however, but a dry slash sound isnt really in the spiders realm.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Rock Pig
Gibson style instrument. Thick mahogany body, set 24" 3/4 scale length neck and two humbuckers.
And he wouldn't have his mids that high. Slash does scoop his mids a little.

He used the mockingbird only once I think and it was for You Could Be Mine. Also the only video where he doesnt only use les pauls. The only other one he used to my knowledge is an SG for My Michelle.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Everyone who told him to throw his amp out needs to grow up. He asked for help on working with what he has, not for you to be dicks. If you're going to post in a "help me" thread, you should help or not post at all. It's nice and stuff that you want him to get better equipment, but he probably already knows that it isn't all that great.

The best way to find a tone you like for a song is to start with everything at 5 and test your way through and find what combination work best for what you're playing. "Good" is a subjective term so it'll take a little work on your part to find what you think is a suitable tone.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
Last edited by ComradeIronMan at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by ComradeIronMan
Everyone who told him to throw his amp out needs to grow up. He asked for help on working with what he has, not for you to be dicks. If you're going to post in a "help me" thread, you should help or not post at all. It's nice and stuff that you want him to get better equipment, but he probably already knows that it isn't all that great.

The best way to find a tone you like for a song is to start with everything at 5 and test your way through and find what combination work best for what you're playing. "Good" is a subjective term so it'll take a little work on your part to find what you think is a suitable tone.

glad someone stuck up for him cause if i said anything it wouldnt be as nice as this poster says it.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
these are his settings on his marshall

presence 9
bass 8.2
middle 6
treble 6
volume 10
gain 6.2
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by Slay 'Em
..... Line 6 = NO

get of the bandwaggon u tardfest.
dont bash a whole company because of one lousy series.
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
Try experimenting yourself on the Crunch and Metal settings.

Don't believe what everyone else says, Spider III's are a good practice amp and have a good sound to them once you have messed around with it.

I would not mind a Roland Microcube though.
Quote by Justice4AllOne

Jump off the bandwagon.
Quote by Sad But False
get of the bandwaggon u tardfest.
dont bash a whole company because of one lousy series.

Flextone III=ballin'
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by The Arsis

Jump off the bandwagon.

I've played a Spider III, just to see if they were as bad as everyone said.
It's not a bandwagon if it's true.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne
I've played a Spider III, just to see if they were as bad as everyone said.
It's not a bandwagon if it's true.

Give me reasons why it sucked.
Spider III isn't a good amp. The point is, stop telling people that everytime they even mention the thing, and make some constructive points, relevant to TS' initial question.
Quote by The Arsis
Give me reasons why it sucked.

Talking from experience...
It sounds sterile and digital.
The response/dynamics are very stiff, more so than competitors like the Vypry and Vox VT series.
Mid-gained rock tones in particular are horrendous.
Muddy with no note seperation.
On board effects sounded like Behringer pedals.
The clean and Insane channels were alright but that was about it.

Edit: To defend myself from those who are complaining about the lack of input from Spider haters (arachnophobes?)
I have posted plenty informatively on the first page. I am not here strictly to diss the Spider.
But in fact, a new amp is the most viable proposition, because at classic rock levels of gain the Spider is pretty abysmal.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Mar 15, 2009,
lol at bandwagoners
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Justice4AllOne

Lol. I listened to this, I kept that amp for 3 days and then returned it back to guitar center.

Honestly though, listen to these people.
Me's Stuff!
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Unknown (Cheap Brand) Fender Stratocaster

Amps:
Esteban G-10
Dean Marley GT-1000T (Less than 5 inchs tall)
Peavey Vypyr 15W
Sell it to a n00b guitar friend of yours
then buy a 15watt peavey vypyr
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by skittle385
guys ffs, im a 12 year old kid, i cant afford that and my bday is in november

And it shows in both your grammar and your inability to accept the fact that you simply won't be able to achieve a passable Slash tone through your current amp.
What guitar do you play? That's quite important.
Hitting it with a sledgehammer might help.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Rock Pig
Talking from experience...
It sounds sterile and digital.
The response/dynamics are very stiff, more so than competitors like the Vypry and Vox VT series.
Mid-gained rock tones in particular are horrendous.
Muddy with no note seperation.
On board effects sounded like Behringer pedals.
The clean and Insane channels were alright but that was about it.

Edit: To defend myself from those who are complaining about the lack of input from Spider haters (arachnophobes?)
I have posted plenty informatively on the first page. I am not here strictly to diss the Spider.
But in fact, a new amp is the most viable proposition, because at classic rock levels of gain the Spider is pretty abysmal.

The question wasn't open. I wanted his answer because that tells me if he is a bandwagon groupie or a genuine person with a real opinion. I know that they SPider isn't great good btw. I personally tried it and had it.
Quote by The Arsis
The question wasn't open. I wanted his answer because that tells me if he is a bandwagon groupie or a genuine person with a real opinion. I know that they SPider isn't great good btw. I personally tried it and had it.

He was about right on with what I'd say.

Very sterile, fake sound.
Very muddy, especially on gain.
Terrible included effects.
I couldn't get a good tone out of it. I tried it with a Tele, a Strat, and a Les Paul.

Does that help?
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Yes the spider sounds bad, and if you have no help whatsoever to offer other than "Lawl @ u", go away.

Quote by invision2212
glad someone stuck up for him cause if i said anything it wouldnt be as nice as this poster says it.

I was going to be a little less polite about it, but I realize half of what I felt like saying gets censored anyway.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
Threads like this one fascinate me. One the one hand, the mention of the Spider line of guitar amps invokes autonomic retching that would be the envy of Pavlov's dogs. Oh the other hand, according to most sites that sell guitar amps, the Line 6 offerings and the Spiders in particular pretty much blow away everything else in units sold.

Which makes one wonder: Why does everyone hate what everyone else is buying? Musician's Friend makes this comment:
All the technology in the world won’t guarantee you great tone. It’s all about how you dial it in to capture the essence of your style in the context of a tune. With Spider III, Line 6 invited a group of artists into the model design process to evaluate, tweak, and ultimately ensure that Spider III delivered on their pro tone expectations. The results are more realistic, expressive, versatile, and tonally rich than any amp in its price range.

I suspect part of my answer is buried in this house-organ sales pitch. What Line 6 has done, basically, is to produce in an extremely affordable package an amp that does a pretty decent job of modeling some high-end amps used by Guitar Hero himself, which is a pretty impressive accomplishment.

No, you're not going to get $2500 worth of sound for $100-500 in purchase price, but the fact that you can come close is where all those sales numbers come from. And THAT in turn means you have a handy bank of easily-abused effects and distortion at the fingertips of an army of teenagers who learned guitar last week, and this week learned they sound MUCH better with the knob set to "insane".

It's possible to sound focused and tasteful through a Spider III. But it's so much EASIER to sound just awful. One of the prices of versatility. But those who recommend another cheap amp on the grounds that since it can't do much, it can't do much BAD, aren't very grown-up either.