I want to paint a design on the bottom right of my guitar. It's an Ibanez GRX40 and how would I go about doing this, without taking the guitar apart?
Last edited by IbanezGRX40man at Mar 15, 2009,
You cant if you want to do the job properly.

You need to strip the finish and refinish the guitar.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I'd have to strip the finish of my whole guitar just for the little design on the bottom of my guitar? What paint to you suggest I paint my design with?
Well, if you want an even finish then it's far easier to strip it, paint the design on then re varnish it all evenly. It'll look far better too.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Chances are your guitar has a poly clear finish, which means you cannot strip just a section and then paint on your design and then clear over it again because it will never match the existing finish, thats why you will have to strip the lot.

Depends what design you want to paint on your guitar? You can use any paint as long as it sticks to wood and is compatible with the clear coat you put above it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
If you're spray-painting you can buy stuff that sticks to plastic and it'll work fine without stripping. I did it five months ago and the design remains fresh, adhered, and un-scratched-off.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band