I want to try my hand at fretless playing. Ive played fretless before and I really enjoyed the sound and feel. Im looking for a decent fretless bass that could easily be upgraded to make it better. I dont really have a price range, but anything up to around 500USD is good.

I was thinking about this: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Fretless-Jazz-Bass?sku=519637

The Squier Vintage Modified Fretless, maybe I could slap on a BadAss bridge to make it better, what are your opinions?
Many people will agree with your decision on that bass and i'm one of them. The VM series is great and for a lower end fretless that's a really nice bass imo. And that's coming from a person who doesn't like fender. I like squier better than fender myself. After you get it then you should decide wether it's worth putting a new bridge in.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Squier VM Fretless = Only fretless worth buying, imo.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Squier VM Fretless = Only fretless worth buying, imo.

This.
The only problem is the lack of colours to choose from if you ask me.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
I would definately commend the VM fretless; the BadAss would give you extra sustain which is no bad thing, but the stock bridge is fine, fully adjustable individual saddles etc...
I was thinking of getting one and chopping out the pickups for the Fender '60s replicas, which would be about $450 in total, but its not as if the stock VM is a bad bass at all, its good.
The second hand market normally has quite a few fretlesses on it, presumably from people who want to try but dont like, so do investigate eBay, Craigslist etc...
Quote by the_underling
I would definately commend the VM fretless; the BadAss would give you extra sustain which is no bad thing, but the stock bridge is fine, fully adjustable individual saddles etc...
I was thinking of getting one and chopping out the pickups for the Fender '60s replicas, which would be about $450 in total, but its not as if the stock VM is a bad bass at all, its good.
The second hand market normally has quite a few fretlesses on it, presumably from people who want to try but dont like, so do investigate eBay, Craigslist etc...

Thanks for the response, what decent fretlesses do you think I could find used around $400USD?
No problem, a quick search on eBay reckons that you could get anything from Fender MIMs to MIAs... so keep your eyes open.
I would check out craigslist or Ebay for used fretless. The VM series are lovely basses, but the fretless has an ebonol fretboard and I've never been thrilled with the sound of those.
The VM is a great bass. I've had mine for about 4 months. I haven't owned any other fretless so I cannot give an accurate comparison between ebonol fretboard and a fretboard made of actual wood, although since ebonol is essentially plastic (is it not?) it won't give you as good tone as actual wood and it definitely feels different. I think it feels fine and, to me, sounds just fine for a inexpensive fretless. If you are not sure you'll like fretless or even stick with it then it is a good choice. If your heart is set on fretless and you know that you'll like it and you'll stick with it then check craigslist maybe for MIM fretless-es.

But I love my VM Fretless, it is always fun to tell someone your bass is fretless, for some reason they always get a shocked look like it is something crazy weird.

EDIT: Here is a fretless MIA
This is sexy. MIM Fretless

A few to look at
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Last edited by JF-SH1 at Mar 16, 2009,
Quote by anarkee
I would check out craigslist or Ebay for used fretless. The VM series are lovely basses, but the fretless has an ebonol fretboard and I've never been thrilled with the sound of those.

Yeah, the ebonol don't feel right, or sound right to me either....

Another option is going the de-fret route, I'm sure you could pick up and Affinity Squier (or something along those lines) pretty cheap...
If you're wanting to upgrade it, I'd say the VMJ fretless but if you want something that costs the same price and is already upgraded (Bart. pickup, Bart. preamp) go with the Cort/Tanglewood Curbow FL. Great basses, not only do they sound great but they're easily one of the nicest looking basses on the market.

Yum.
Last edited by Micehorns at Mar 16, 2009,
Quote by Micehorns
If you're wanting to upgrade it, I'd say the VMJ fretless but if you want something that costs the same price and is already upgraded (Bart. pickup, Bart. preamp) go with the Cort/Tanglewood Curbow FL. Great basses, not only do they sound great but they're easily one of the nicest looking basses on the market.

Yum.

Is there a used market for these? How much do they usually cost?
Cort are entered in my mental file as one of those left-of-centre but surprisingly good brands that arent as respected as their basses might suggest, mostly I think because they're not widely distributed. I haven't seen one of the above in the flesh, and Ive looked, because I quite dig Cort basses, so I dont think there's a second-hand market in the same way there is with Squiers and Fenders.
Try the 'dealers' tab on the link below:
http://www.cortguitars.com/english/products/common/list.asp?series_id=45
I dont know whats local to you, but that should help to find the price. Corts are normally fairly inexpensive.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
The Squier VM fretless wins at life, its a good choice, or you can do what i did and defret a bass you have already, or defret a cheap one of your choice. Defrettings pretty easy, and you can do it with any bass you want, which greatly expands your options. Only problem is that after you coat over the fretboard, you lose a bit of that sound quality that comes from wood
Quote by CurbstompBass
Check out Rondo fretlesses. The fretless Z4 is nice.

I'd go with this, if you don't like the Squire options, and you can't find a good used one. Usually, a used is the way to go, but some people really can't swing it. I've got this one (used) and enjoy, it's not top quality, but you said "trying" a fretless.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by CurbstompBass
Check out Rondo fretlesses. The fretless Z4 is nice.

That

Look at it!

The squier fretless is good, but to me the plastic fingerboard just feels...wrong. It's really bright for a fretless too.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Mar 19, 2009,