When it's the same one it's for a back up usually. If they're different then the user is either "A/Bing", IE using each amp as a separate channel, or they're run in stereo to compliment each other.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Like the guy said, there's also stompboxes that allow you to plug the two heads in each an input, then select which one to go to the output into the cab with the footswitch if you're intent on using the same cab for both.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
I run a Carvin Legacy and Mesa-Dual Rec in my live rig. I either run both at once or Carvin for clean/Mesa for teh metalz. It really opens up my sound.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
no. adding cabs doesn't make you louder.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
All adding a cab will do is disperse the sound more, which will give you a 'fuller' sound, but no louder.
If you have multiple heads, you have two options:

1) Get a seperate cab for each head and use an A/B/Y box to switch between them,
2) Switch between two heads via one cab. This is a bit more tricky.

If you choose option 2, you either need to buy a box that allows you to switch between two heads, or use one at a time and switch them manually when you want to change them (like I do at the moment).
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Kevin Saale
When it's the same one it's for a back up usually. If they're different then the user is either "A/Bing", IE using each amp as a separate channel, or they're run in stereo to compliment each other.

+1
Of course adding cabs gives you more volume, i mean loudness. You get an extra 3db from just stacking to cabs, putting them in a corner etc. 4 cabs will sound much louder then two. As will an 8x10 taking 600 watts compared to a 4x10 taking 1000, in reason of course.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Of course adding cabs gives you more volume, i mean loudness. You get an extra 3db from just stacking to cabs, putting them in a corner etc. 4 cabs will sound much louder then two. As will an 8x10 taking 600 watts compared to a 4x10 taking 1000, in reason of course.

It doesn't actually increase the volume though - remember that.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by fatgoogle

no? not really. there's a specific reason why your example doesn't work. 600 watts will not sound any louder than 1000 watts because the human ear is incapable of hearing all of the audible frequencies produced by a 600 or 1000 watt amp. That's why a 100w tube amp and 300w tube amp don't have a huge volume difference. The difference is in headroom.

And the 3db number is pretty much a myth. You don't gain decibels, you gain audible frequencies. It might sound louder, but there is no additional volume.

Don't judge me.
Well hell like, but we sure percieve more volume from it. Im not sure if im using thw right words here, but luodness then,
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
okay. as long as we're on the same page. perceived loudness and loudness aren't the same.

Don't judge me.
Oh ya, i know, but isnt percieved loudness what matters in the end. Sorry im going of topic.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
yes. i suppose so. but there's only so much difference a cab makes.

Don't judge me.
I always thought a cab madde quiet a big difference, if you no what your looking for any way, sealed, poted, reflex, were its loaded etc.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
ugh. in sound, but not perceived volume.

Don't judge me.
it's still sound pressure. It "is" louder and a measurable quantity, you can get a cheap SPL meter at Radio Shack and see it for yourself. It's more surface area, being driven by the same amount of wattage, the same way a 12" speaker is louder than a 3" speaker driven by the same wattage. it's moving more air, and increasing SPL.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids