looking at possible new guitars I was wondering what the Explorer and Les Paul models were like compared to a Jackson DK2T or maybe a Washburn X50PRO.

I know that they are cheaper by quite a bit but they don't have Seymour Duncans.

so what are they like?
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
yeah they are really unbelieveably badunless you get one of the older models. i played an older one and ive also played an older gibson goth explorer and they are lovely but the gothic series is abit of a joke these days.

especially as if you save up abit extra you can get something really decent these days
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by nav00
yeah they are really unbelieveably badunless you get one of the older models. i played an older one and ive also played an older gibson goth explorer and they are lovely but the gothic series is abit of a joke these days.

especially as if you save up abit extra you can get something really decent these days

ill have to disagree with you, i bought an epiphone goth v and its a really great guitar, i prefer it over my jackson rx10d anyday,
Quote by nav00

how are they a bit of a joke? I can sorta see why you said it but I wouldn't get one to like 'hardcore'. I just like the look of them. I would rather have one than some of the Epiphones with gold hardware.

But I would be able to get some new pickups for it

Quote by _bacon_

the epi goths are pretty much their standard models with a darker color and ebony fret boards. I personally have been pretty impressed by the "goth" series, but they aren't the best guitars out there... then again, most Epis aren't. Just try out the goths to see how you like them, they hold up in general.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
i had a goth explorer
didnt like it at all
it stayed with me for about 3 months then i traded it in for my EC 401

much better guitar
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
i had a goth explorer
didnt like it at all
it stayed with me for about 3 months then i traded it in for my EC 401

much better guitar

was that because it was bad or just personal preference?

Quote by _bacon_

I have an Epi Goth Explorer that I put EMGs in. I wouldn't change anything else about it though, I think it looks/plays great. I love that thing.
I've played a Goth LP with a floyd. It was terrible. Floyd didn't stay in tune, didn't feel nice, looks fugly too.
Quote by WARLOCK123
was that because it was bad or just personal preference?

To me it felt kinda cheap cuz I had an ltd mh 400nt before I got my explorer. And the for the price of the explorer you might as well save more and get something much better.
But yeah didn't like the guitar at all imo. Neck was bit too big for me and it felt lime a struggle to play it
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Horlicks
I've played a Goth LP with a floyd. It was terrible. Floyd didn't stay in tune, didn't feel nice, looks fugly too.

I don't think they come with Floyd trems??

anyway I've mostly been interested in the Explorer model cos it looks sweet

Quote by _bacon_

My Explorer is a Goth model. I think it's a great guitar. I've put EMG's in it, chrome hardware on it and a white pickguard. Also mine's a 2002 model. I played a 2008 model in my local guitar shop and I didn't like it as much as mine. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as good as mine. I guess just play it first and see if you like it.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
My Explorer is a Goth model. I think it's a great guitar. I've put EMG's in it, chrome hardware on it and a white pickguard. Also mine's a 2002 model. I played a 2008 model in my local guitar shop and I didn't like it as much as mine. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as good as mine. I guess just play it first and see if you like it.

you have a Peavey Vypyr? what does it sound like through it?

also are the stock pickups any good? I heard they were Alcino classics. also not meaning to argue with you but if you have customed you guitar then there is a good chance it will be better

Quote by _bacon_

Yeah mine's customized but I meant I like the feel of mine better. The neck just felt different. It doesn't sound bad through my Vypyr. The Vypyrs actually take active pickups pretty well. The only complaint I have is the built in tuner doesn't work properly with EMG's. It says you're in tune but when you play it's a little off. The stock pickups are not awful but I would at least upgrade the bridge pickup. I actually like the neck pickup for cleans.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Yeah mine's customized but I meant I like the feel of mine better. The neck just felt different. It doesn't sound bad through my Vypyr. The Vypyrs actually take active pickups pretty well. The only complaint I have is the built in tuner doesn't work properly with EMG's. It says you're in tune but when you play it's a little off. The stock pickups are not awful but I would at least upgrade the bridge pickup. I actually like the neck pickup for cleans.

ok thanks. . I suppose the neck is mainly down to preference. also by saying it doesn't sound bad through the Vypyr that could be preference again and I see you have a Gibson so if you are used to that and then play the Epi it will probably sound worse. thats a bit of a blow with the tuner . would it still work if I put something like Seymour duncans in it? I would upgrade the pickups if I do get one instead of a DK2T.

is it possible for you to do a vid or maybe some recording with it?

thanks

Quote by _bacon_

I've played lots of goths. They're solid guitars. The finish on them does go shiny where you rest your arm though.

Edit: To whoever said they've got ebony fret boards, they don't. Even the Gibson Gothic series is rosewood.
Last edited by ch0 at Mar 17, 2009,
I don't have a video camera and I still need to get a cable to be able to record to my computer with my Vypyr. So I can't help you there. The tuner seems to work fine with all passive pickups. I tried Seymour Duncan, Gibson, GFS, Epiphone and some generic no name ones too.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I don't have a video camera and I still need to get a cable to be able to record to my computer with my Vypyr. So I can't help you there. The tuner seems to work fine with all passive pickups. I tried Seymour Duncan, Gibson, GFS, Epiphone and some generic no name ones too.

ok thats cool man . if you get a cable to let you record from the vypyr would you mind doing a quick demo of some basic stuff. basically cleans like blues an distortion like rock/metal stuff. it shouldn't be too much of a worry seeing as most of the tone comes from the amp

Quote by _bacon_

I have an epi gothic SG and i love it, swapped out the pickups for GFS crunchy rails and it sounds awesome, i love the feel of it and the colour too.
not played the Les Paul or the Explorer though...
FightinIrishPJ wrote:

flea in school? oh my....