Page 1 of 3
It can be, like Alexi Laiho and Roope's version of The Four Seasons Summer. Otherwise it is just kick ass music
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
No. Completely different. Metal is blues on steroids, if anything.
Call me Batman.
i think there are undeniable similarities, but quite obviously, major stylistic differences
In the word of a girl at my school, "Metal is expression." Now, I wouldn't take it that far, but metal is classical based. I would say more that Neoclassical shredding is classical music on steroids(a.k.a Malmsteen, Shawn Lane, etc.)
it can be but and yeah i think cob is a good ex of metal that often sounds classical
Metal is a combination of many styles.

It is normally, as said before, blues/rock on steroids.
But, depending on the artist [as "metal" now days seems to be defined as anything high gain and fast], it can be classical on steroids.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
i can see the similarities, especially with prog-metal and people like yngwie. i guess it depends on the sub-genre.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Stuff like Killwitch, Bullet, Trivium etc yeah, I think so
But like say.... slipknot no
I dunno that might be wrong I just have Before I Forget in my head atm
We will not go quietly
I understand the influence of Classical music upon some Metal artists, but I would never claim that "metal is classical music on steroids."

When compared to Classical music, Metal is too simple (that is not meant to be a negative comment), lacking many (if not most) of the typical Classical attributes and techniques.

Admittedly, I am not a metal-head, but I have friends who are (were), and have listened to an extensive list of bands, none of which sounded notably "Classical" to me.
Quote by metalhead_c-1
I guess it depends on the sub-genre.

^This

A lot of metal artists seem to have a classical background. Therefor when writing their music a lot of classical influences return. Blend it with old fashion rock and roll and blues. Then put it on steroids. And you have certain styles of metal.

However, just putting classical music on steroids... you just get stuff light Flight of the Bumblebee with a drum kit really. So to the TS: your description isn't enough
it's not as simple as just a "no", some metal does have classical influences but some definitely does not.
Quote by Hot Jam Sushi
it's not as simple as just a "no", some metal does have classical influences but some definitely does not.

the answer to is metal classical on steroids is a simple no
Neoclassical shredding is classical music on steroids(a.k.a Malmsteen, Shawn Lane, etc.)

No.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoclassicism_(music)

On the subject of "Classically influenced Metal"; that's a load of crap. The two genres have little to do with each other, beyond Malmsteen/Rhoads/Blackmore/Roth using classical licks. None of the harmony, rhythm or structure is used.
Call me Batman.
Last edited by J.A.M at Mar 15, 2009,
Even metal that supposedly borrows heavily from classical music generally only makes use of superficial aspects of the music, or simply borrows a melody line from a well known composer. Metal as a genre certainly can't be said to be "classical music on steroids".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
no, metal has very little in common with classical music as far as compositional devices and techniques go, although some metal musicians may listen to some orchestral music or even include a sample of a classical piece they VERY rarely incorporate characteristics which make classical classical in to their own music. Secondly you can't group all metal bands together metal is such a wide genre that its imposable to say that all metal is anything.
you are what you is
Metal is in no way, shape or form anything remotely resembling classical music.

People might get pissed at me, but this is the truth: Metal music is set up and played in such a way that is sounds unpleasing to the ear, and that's why people like it. It's edgy, unsettling and angry music, that's how it is designed... Music doesn't necessarily have to sound pleasing to the ear to be good music. People like metal because it is unsettling and suspenseful, not beautiful and melodic.

Classical music, on the other hand, is largely nothing more than notes that all sound good together. Classical music almost *always* follows the "rules" of music, whereas metal definitely does not.

My 2 cents.

Edit: Before someone points out this obvious fact that I felt was implied, I better restate it: This is not true for all metal music, bands and songs. It is a very general answer to a very general question.
And I mean that in the best possible way.
Last edited by SilenceIsGolden at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by SilenceIsGolden

People might get pissed at me, but this is the truth: Metal music is set up and played in such a way that is sounds unpleasing to the ear, and that's why people like it. It's edgy, unsettling and angry music, that's how it is designed... Music doesn't necessarily have to sound pleasing to the ear to be good music. People like metal because it is unsettling and suspenseful, not beautiful and melodic.

Classical music, on the other hand, is largely nothing more than notes that all sound good together. Classical music almost *always* follows the "rules" of music, whereas metal definitely does not.

My 2 cents.

Edit: Before someone points out this obvious fact that I felt was implied, I better restate it: This is not true for all metal music, bands and songs. It is a very general answer to a very general question.

your explanation is p bad bro
Classical music is a pretty vague term anyway, and if it is being used to describe all music that is old, then metal sounds nothing like 99% of it.
Nein
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
No, no, no. A million times no. Metal, although a legitimate genre in it's own right, can in no way be compared to classical music.
Quote by spacelove
your explanation is p bad bro

However bad my explanation may be, your rebuttal is even worse... bro.
And I mean that in the best possible way.
Metal is pretty much Blues and Rock on steriods, with bits of jazz and classical, also on 'roids thrown in from some bands.
Quote by SilenceIsGolden

My 2 cents.

It sounds good by classical conventions.

You can't see that as the supreme, cause if a person feels better or more emotionally attached to the sounds of metal, then that's how it is.

Disregarding that, is just ur inability to "get in the footsteps" of someone that likes metal, because you can't experience the same feeling they are having when listening to such.

Then you can regard Jazz as non-melodic as well, since they even use more "wrong" notes then metal artists use. As a matter of fact, they even encourage to play chromatics and non diatonic lines.

Melodic is just a term of strucutured note sequence by an idea or concept.

Yes Classical music is harmonically more correct, however saying it's more melodic is not true.

Another fine example is indian music, which features notes that don't even exist to us. If you'd measure it to classical music, it would be dissonant/out of tune to us.

With ur logic, that means their music must be not beautiful and un-melodic, which is a very big assumption.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 16, 2009,
well according to some study i saw a while ago, people who listen to classical and metal music generally have the same personality traits. kinda interesting i thought. but i wouldnt say they are very similar. maybe neo classical though. i mean, technically it means "new classical". so whoever it was who said they arent the same....well duh. no one said that. if it were, then it wouldnt be called "new classical"

but essentially, metal comes from(in very simple terms) rock, which comes from blues. and blues came from african music and church music. id say if something were "classical on steroids", maybe it would be a form of music that comes from classical in decent. neo classical really just combines metal and classical, but it doesnt come from classical music. id say it comes more from metal.

anyway, who cares. its just music. there are way to many genres and sub genres of music and too much grey area to be arguing over it.
Yes Classical music is harmonically more correct, however saying it's more melodic is not true.

It's not "more correct", it's just vastly more complex. Most metal harmony isn't even functional. It tends to be more complex melodically as well, though some metal, especially within the progressive sphere, is an exception.

Another fine example is indian music, which features notes that don't even exist to us. If you'd measure it to classical music, it would be dissonant/out of tune to us.

They exist to us; we just don;t use them. You're right that it would generally be considered dissonant, though; largely because most people aren't exposed to significant levels of dissonance in the music they listen to.

With ur logic, that means their music must be not beautiful and un-melodic, which is a very big assumption.

That's not his logic at all. He pointed out, correctly, that a significant proportion of metal music is created to be aggressive, not aesthetically pleasing. It's you who suggesting that music must be pleasant in order to be "good".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by SilenceIsGolden

My 2 cents.

I dont agree. Basically you based everything on opinion, and called it 'the truth'. I disagree with alot of what you said, despite knowing that you were being very general about it.
Melodic is just a term of strucutured note sequence by an idea or concept.

Exactly!
The melodies dimebag darrel play are just as melodic as beethoven's melodies, although of course, dimebag's melodies are much more aggressive (usually).
Quote by spacelove
the answer to is metal classical on steroids is a simple no

My point was you should elaborate more than a simple no and give your reasoning and opinion, as I did mine, which was neither a yes or no because I believe some does and some doesn't. It's not a particularly well-phrased question to be honest.
Quote by Archeo Avis

That's not his logic at all. He pointed out, correctly, that a significant proportion of metal music is created to be aggressive, not aesthetically pleasing. It's you who suggesting that music must be pleasant in order to be "good".

What defines aesthetically pleasing then?

Unless I don't understand the word, I'm pretty sure it's still opinion.

And I used the word "correct", because complexity is oh so relative, like you pointed out with the big difference between Prog metal and for example thrash metal.

I think the word functional I really meant.

Anything can be as complex as 1 wants it to be, and it's only complex because 1 decided the conventions are as complex as they are. I mean you have loads of classical songs that feature very quite simple harmonies, and you have stuff like chopin.

True to a certain degree you measure everything to the basis, but that doesn't necessarily means the base is the most pleasing to all.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 17, 2009,
Metal and classical is very diffrent but together they make the greatest music ever made. Mix a Metal with Orchestra and you got most beautiful music in the world.

Some metal bands are based of classical music - look at Power/neoclassical Metal it is based of classical music.

I am gonna quate one guy who I talked to bout metal and classical:
"The genres are diffrent but I have never heard of a Metalhead who doesn't like classical music." (And this is mostly true - most metalheads like classical/orchestral music too even if they don't listen to it all the time)
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Last edited by Gulli05 at Mar 17, 2009,
No, I believe they are two different genres. They have similarities, but so does every matchup of genres.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Myung-trucci
Exactly!
The melodies dimebag darrel play are just as melodic as beethoven's melodies, although of course, dimebag's melodies are much more aggressive (usually).

They're "just as melodic" in the same sense that my paintings are "just as painted" as Da Vinci's. Of course, Da Vinci's are much more complicated than mine, and Beethoven's are much more complicated than Dimebag's.
Page 1 of 3