These are some videos of me improvising. The acoustic one is partly written, partly improvised. Tell me what you think please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wflDT-3RD5g&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNCv-tHIOCc&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMYIhgCWk9I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzxyyWFTN_E

Apologies but my camera is ****. Thanks in advance.
not bad, none of it really flowed in my opinion, work on your phrasing instead of just playing the notes, think of ways to make them more interesting.
keep it up though
it sounds like you are going out of your way to sound evil/diminished, it doesn't flow, it just seems like "well if i play this note it sounds more metal because its not in the original scale". what makes it obvious is your faster lead playing is all strictly in the scale, then the parts that sound more planned have that one chromatic over tone. your bends need some work too. the playing isn't bad, just some small stuff to work on. check out my new track if you get a chance :
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088550
not bad at all but like the others said just work on your phrasing and then you're golden. I really enjoyed the tapping part and the stuff that was in Em. Excellent!

Crit mine????

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18823174#post18823174

You have managed to develop some mechanical ability. And I want you to realize that I respect and appreciate that. However, like most guys whose obsession is "metal" or "shredding" you are completely missing the point. It is about playing music. You are just masturbating with a guitar in your hands. No one is getting off but you.

Your "Blues/Jazz" solo was just running up and down a pentatonic scale. No melodic ideas whatsoever. Rhythmically boring in 3 seconds, melodically dead in 2. You obviously don't really listen to blues. And DO NOT use the word jazz when talking about that solo. Not a single hint at anything even suggesting jazz was played. Perhaps, you have never heard any jazz. That would explain it.

Now, you are young, I know. So, take this as positively as you can. A lot of 16-year olds know the name of every note on their guitar. And they can read a chart and know the fundamentals of musical math. Do you?

Two ingredients make a good guitarist. Talent and skill. Talent is a gift from God. You either have it or you don't. Skill can be developed. A semi-talented guy can be a good guitarist if he works hard. A super-talented guy who doesn't work very hard can be pretty good too.

But, a really talented guy who works hard? ......Look out!

I think you have talent that deserves to be developed.....!!!

Don't waste your youth by being lazy. Don't wake up at age 26 thinkng, "I don't know any more about music, but I can shred!!!" NO ONE CARES!!!

If all you bring to the table is "shred" then good luck. You'll spend the rest of your work life saying, "Do you want mustard or mayo?"

Tomorrow, go buy "Beginning Jazz Guitar" by Jody Fisher. It's from Alfred Publishing. You spend an hour in it every day. I will help you through it. And, turn that distortion off. It makes you think you can play, but the acoustic guitar tells the truth.

Thirty years ago a KEYBOARD player jerked my guitar out of my hands at rehearsal to show me a chord I should have known. He humiliated me in front of my band mates and our girlfriends. Ten years later I thanked him.
When you're going to bust out shred licks, they have to be in a structured form otherwise its somewhat of a mess. Especially focus on practicing things slow and clean over and over before bringing your speed up otherwise it'll come out choppy and things won't transition very well. ^alot of what was said is good advice but if you're going to want to play metal/shred don't just simply practice in a clean. Alot of people talk about practicing without any distortion on at all, but it's really important to practice cleanly (as in playing) in the tone that you plan on utilizing.
Look it's plain to see you've got a strong bias towards jazz + blues guitar. Not everyone is going to appreciate it, thats not to say those who don't wont end up succesful and entertaining with their playing. Personally I play in a jazz band for school, I'm not fantastic but I try my best and I enjoy playing that style of music, but not exclusively; but to be entirely biased against any sort of shred guitar is just ridiculous. There are plenty example of tasteful shredders.
Cheers guys, the blues one was just me dicking around, I don't really care about that one. Thanks to all of you especailly revtfunk. I'll work on improving. Thanks.
"Now, you are young, I know. So, take this as positively as you can. A lot of 16-year olds know the name of every note on their guitar. And they can read a chart and know the fundamentals of musical math. Do you?" lol no, just no.
seekmetal --- you understand what I'm saying. If you are going to play, do it right. You would not join a football club and say, "All I do is run fast. I can't catch the ball. I can't pass the ball. I can't score a goal. But I can run faster than anyone out here." Learn the rules. Learn the roles!!

Jason doesn't get it. Your solo in a metal tune will be about 10% of that song. If all you can do is shred, then you are ignoring the 90% of the song that is actually more important. While it may be fun, and your friends think you are cool, if you can't do the other 90%, you are not in the band.

Playing IN TIME with the rest of the band is much more important than playing as fast as you can. Electric guitar, more specifically rock guitar is, by design, a band setting. If you can't hit half notes at 80bpm at the right time, then you can not play. The guitar is a musical instrument.

You might be able to type 100 words per minute. But, if it is not words, then what's the point?
Quote by revtfunk
seekmetal --- you understand what I'm saying. If you are going to play, do it right. You would not join a football club and say, "All I do is run fast. I can't catch the ball. I can't pass the ball. I can't score a goal. But I can run faster than anyone out here." Learn the rules. Learn the roles!!

Jason doesn't get it. Your solo in a metal tune will be about 10% of that song. If all you can do is shred, then you are ignoring the 90% of the song that is actually more important. While it may be fun, and your friends think you are cool, if you can't do the other 90%, you are not in the band.

Playing IN TIME with the rest of the band is much more important than playing as fast as you can. Electric guitar, more specifically rock guitar is, by design, a band setting. If you can't hit half notes at 80bpm at the right time, then you can not play. The guitar is a musical instrument.

You might be able to type 100 words per minute. But, if it is not words, then what's the point?

You gave some good advice, but you're also an asshat.

If someone wants to play metal, don't tell them they're ruining their life by not playing jazz. A lot of the technique and understanding required for "shredding" transfers very well into the other 90% of the song. It all works off the same theory. Now either keep it clean or Im gonna tell your mother on you.
If someone wants to play metal, don't tell them they're ruining their life by not playing jazz.

That is not at all what I said. Obviously, like many people, you decide what you think someone said, regardless of what they actually did say. That's how wars start.
He's simply one of those people who view shred as a non-musical, non-tasteful, unstructured way of playing for teenagers who want to show off.

funk is just pompous enough to even make a sarcastic video of himself playing in what he thinks shred is lol.

Try listening to some Takayoshi Ohmura

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ4AsE0jjeg
I'm sorry, Jason. I checked out your boy Ohmura. And, I think it is awesome that a guy can play that fast. But, you still don't get it.

My problem with it this whole "shred" thing is that kids buy guitars and want to be in a band. They have watched the videos of Ohmura, and think it's cool. And, it is cool for what it is. Whatever that is...

Out of laziness or fear they blow off actually getting a musical education in favor of sitting around playing as fast as they can with as much distortion as they can dial up. Eventually, they have no skill beyond playing fast. They have no sense of time, or feel, can't read a chart, can't communicate musical ideas, can't play rhythm guitar, don't understand the math, don't know any songs, can't tell a half note from an eighth note and can't understand direction. But, they can shred.

They eventually get asked to come jam with some guys. And as long as no one else is playing they can stand there and shred. But, when it comes to playing a real song, or playing a part that fits in with what the band is doing, they can't. So, now they either take a crash course in real music, only play alone, or quit.

So, yet another kid is robbed of the joy of being really good at guitar. And, I mean good in the sense that he can play real music, real songs. It is all because he has no direction. That is what I am trying to offer.

You're trying to justify choosing ignorance because one shredder out of a million might be musical enough to get a gig. I'm trying to enlighten you to the fact that the maximum benefit of anything can best be achieved by at least considering the methods established over time.

Yes, I made a sarcastic video about shredding. And the whole point I was trying to make is, "What is the point in doing this?"

I have taught a couple of hundred people how to play the guitar. My method centers around what you have to know to survive as a professional musician. That's what I do. You say I am pompous. I am not pompous, but I am confident in my abilities. I am an excellent teacher, and my students are the proof.

Here's one of them. He was 20 years old when we played this gig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUOpnP18qYc&feature=related
Quote by revtfunk
I'm sorry, Jason. I checked out your boy Ohmura. And, I think it is awesome that a guy can play that fast. But, you still don't get it.

My problem with it this whole "shred" thing is that kids buy guitars and want to be in a band. They have watched the videos of Ohmura, and think it's cool. And, it is cool for what it is. Whatever that is...

Out of laziness or fear they blow off actually getting a musical education in favor of sitting around playing as fast as they can with as much distortion as they can dial up. Eventually, they have no skill beyond playing fast. They have no sense of time, or feel, can't read a chart, can't communicate musical ideas, can't play rhythm guitar, don't understand the math, don't know any songs, can't tell a half note from an eighth note and can't understand direction. But, they can shred.

They eventually get asked to come jam with some guys. And as long as no one else is playing they can stand there and shred. But, when it comes to playing a real song, or playing a part that fits in with what the band is doing, they can't. So, now they either take a crash course in real music, only play alone, or quit.

So, yet another kid is robbed of the joy of being really good at guitar. And, I mean good in the sense that he can play real music, real songs. It is all because he has no direction. That is what I am trying to offer.

You're trying to justify choosing ignorance because one shredder out of a million might be musical enough to get a gig. I'm trying to enlighten you to the fact that the maximum benefit of anything can best be achieved by at least considering the methods established over time.

Yes, I made a sarcastic video about shredding. And the whole point I was trying to make is, "What is the point in doing this?"

I have taught a couple of hundred people how to play the guitar. My method centers around what you have to know to survive as a professional musician. That's what I do. You say I am pompous. I am not pompous, but I am confident in my abilities. I am an excellent teacher, and my students are the proof.

Here's one of them. He was 20 years old when we played this gig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUOpnP18qYc&feature=related

You aren't pompous but you are quite an arse. I had respect for you with your first post, but that is now gone. Shred is musical and I can play in time, i'm in a band. Fair enough it's your opinion. If you don't like shred don't like it, I don't care, I like it. I can't read charts, I don't know loads of theory. I can't play you a mixolydian mode and sweep through diminished 9th arpeggios but I don't need to. I'm in a band playing the music that I and my friends love and i'm happy. That is all music is about. To everyone who gave me advice thankyou but please stop this close minded, arguementative **** and just love music, be it shred, funk jazz or anything else.
I liked the overall sort of sound you were getting in the first video, the scale was nice and the playing seemed reasonably clean from what I could hear. I thought the tone on your blues/jazz video was really quite nice too.

Crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19089997#post19089997

The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Dude you are a great guitarist. I liked the blues one the most, prolly cause thats my fav kind of music. I like how you dont just play in one spot of the neck, thats my problem, but your all over the place. keep it up. could you crit mine
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088341
My Music
http://www.myspace.com/theocifers
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
1958 Harmony Hollowbody Archtop
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Danelectro Daddy-O
You've got the technique down for the most part (work on accents, dynamics, articulation and clarity, right now it's all played like a robot) but your phrasing is incredibly boring, just playing notes that don't go anywhere and no melodic feel, just up and down the scales over and over.

If you want to be known as a good guitarist among lay people and other guitarists, you need to have a mix of technique, melodic phrasing and feeling, plain technique will impress lay people for about 5 minutes before they get bored of looploopoplopoplopwiddlywiddly and it'll impress guitarists for about 30 seconds before they realise you've completely avoided the most important part about music.

The music itself.

Anyone can be taught to play with good technique but not anyone can write good melodies.