So I've decided to refine my tone abit. I've got a Randall RG100G3Plus which sounds awesome, pleanty of gain and not as 'digital' sounding as other solid state amps.

But I am using EMG's which are alright but I'm starting to hear what people are saying about active pickups and SS amps. I played one of my mates guitars that had some kind of Dimarzios pups through my amp and it sounded really nice.

So I want to pop a new bridge pickup in My RR24. I mostly want a chunky but clear rhythm sound but I also want a nice lead tone. And even though a sweet clean tone isn't the priority for this guitar it doesn't mean I want the most powerful pickups imagineable. I still my sound to be clear and not muddy.

tl;dr: I want a passive bridge pickup for a modern metal rhythm tone to put in a alder body guitar with a floyd rose trem

EDIT: I duno whether alcino will be strong enough, or if ceramic won't be as clear as alcino
seymore duncan?
Jackson RR3
ESP LTD MH-250NT (EMG 81-85)
Peavey Valveking 100 Head
Harley Benton Cabnet
Blackstar Distx Valve Distortion
Boss DD3
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss Noise-Gate
A Member Of The Jackson Players Group
DiMarzio Breed sounds exactly like what you want. Maybe a DiMarzio Evolution.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Bare Knuckle - Nail Bomb Or have a look at Seymour Duncan
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by prison sex
seymore duncan?

Any specific model? I heard the JB is good, but I've also heard it can be abit shrieky. And despite alot of bands i like the tone of (eg: Arch Enemy, Lamb of God) use them they also have complex amp setups (mark morton uses two Mark IV's at the same time) to get a big rhythm tone. And I'm not sure if it will have the gain for a big sound with a simple setup like mine

Quote by shadow__666
DiMarzio Breed sounds exactly like what you want. Maybe a DiMarzio Evolution.

The breed sounds like it might be good. Also what is the X2N like?
Last edited by [I Buy Peace] at Mar 15, 2009,
Don't know, I've never played one. I have played an Evolution, but my recommendation of Breeds is mostly based on the fact that Steve Vai uses them and he has one of the best lead tones I've ever heard.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Doesn't he Vai use the Evo the most though? Also, even though he does have a nice Lead tone my main priority is a really ballsy rhythm tone. Also Vai's pickups are desighned for a basswood body guitar arn't they? So would they lack low end in a alder guitar?

EDIT: The guitar I want the pickups for I have tunes to drop C, just to complicate descisions
Last edited by [I Buy Peace] at Mar 15, 2009,
The Breed and Evo can probably still do that also. You might also want to check out a Super Distortion for a rhythm tone, but the SD is not a very articulate pickup (which is why I love it), especially for a DiMarzio.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
The Breed and Evo can probably still do that also. You might also want to check out a Super Distortion for a rhythm tone, but the SD is not a very articulate pickup (which is why I love it), especially for a DiMarzio.

+1

Breeds are great pickups, and although I have been told Evo's can do metal rhythm, I haven't personally heard it.

Drop Tunings? Look into the D-Sonic, amazing pickup.
[quote="'']Any specific model? I heard the JB is good, but I've also heard it can be abit shrieky. And despite alot of bands i like the tone of (eg: Arch Enemy, Lamb of God) use them they also have complex amp setups (mark morton uses two Mark IV's at the same time) to get a big rhythm tone. And I'm not sure if it will have the gain for a big sound with a simple setup like mine

The breed sounds like it might be good. Also what is the X2N like?

The JB is much too bitey, it won't be nice in combination with your amp...
Quote by dudey5691
+1

Breeds are great pickups, and although I have been told Evo's can do metal rhythm, I haven't personally heard it.

Drop Tunings? Look into the D-Sonic, amazing pickup.

Well doesn't John Petrucci use the D-sonic? He has a awesome rhythm tone. But thats probly mainly due to all the Mesas he has lol. Could be the pickup I'm looking for though

Anymore recomendations? People are recomending seymour duncans but no specific models. Also is the Nailbomb worth the pricetag?
[quote="'']Well doesn't John Petrucci use the D-sonic? He has a awesome rhythm tone. But thats probly mainly due to all the Mesas he has lol. Could be the pickup I'm looking for though

Anymore recomendations? People are recomending seymour duncans but no specific models. Also is the Nailbomb worth the pricetag?
Yes, John uses them, and yes the Mesas probably contribute greatly to his tone

But, I've played with them on other cheaper tube amps and some pretty decent ones, and even a few SS. They're pretty good across the board (with the right amp), although I wouldn't suggest them for the insane channel on an SS spider

BKP's are generally great pickups for most people, but again, it's down to preference.

I'm out.
i say either a BK warpig, BK nailbomb, or D sonic
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
[quote="'']Doesn't he Vai use the Evo the most though? Also, even though he does have a nice Lead tone my main priority is a really ballsy rhythm tone. Also Vai's pickups are desighned for a basswood body guitar arn't they? So would they lack low end in a alder guitar?

EDIT: The guitar I want the pickups for I have tunes to drop C, just to complicate descisions
The Breed has more balls than the Evo and is specifically voiced for Alder.
It should handle dropped tunings very nicely as well, although I'd be tempted to take a DiMarzio D-Sonic because the bass response is tighter than Ace Frehely's trousers.

In terms of Bare Knuckles, the Holy Diver would actually be your best bet. It's incredibly thick but still articulate. It's a comparable to the breed but better at everything; thicker tone, more clarity, more balls, more organic and higher quality.
The Painkiller would handle your dropped tunings better though.
The War Pig would probably be a happy medium.
Okay thanks for all your help dudes. I've been looking around aswell as hearing your opinions and I think I'm gunna order a D-Sonic

Oh and another thing, since I've got to completly rewire my guitar to use a passive, is it worth getting a dimarzio pot/jack socket ext? I mean are they better than the cheaper stuff or am I just paying for the name

Also just to make sure, I'm after a 500k pot right?
[quote="'']Doesn't he Vai use the Evo the most though? Also, even though he does have a nice Lead tone my main priority is a really ballsy rhythm tone. Also Vai's pickups are desighned for a basswood body guitar arn't they? So would they lack low end in a alder guitar?

The Breed is pretty ballsy, in case you were wondering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlzYZRsp2yk
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I'm running a Vetta II with a pretty wide variety of guitars and pickups.

the EMG 81 does pretty well, if not one of the better pickups suited for the Vetta. It's brightness and punch really helps kick out compression and boost the articulation which is normally lost in SS amps.

My carvin pickups are medium in output and probably midrange as far as brightness/darkness goes. The guitar is maple and walnut yielding a bright overall tone. Again, despite the pickups not having the output as the EMG's, the guitar cuts really well because of the woods used.

Ibanez RG2228 and EMG 808s... these pickups tend to get pretty compressed with the warmer, fatter alnico magnets. when you adjust the amp specifically for these pickups you honestly can't beat the tone, if you plan on using the same settings from guitar to guitar these pickups can get pretty muddy, even on the higher strings.

Ibanez RG7621 with pickups similar to the Evos. These have a mid 90's dimarzio specifically made for the RG7621. I really like the tone I get with these. Very spongy and tight if that makes sense. Think of Lamb of God meets Adam Jones. You have just enough saturation to sustain, yet enough attack and midrange snap to really cut through.

I'd aim for a brighter pickup. I prefer higher output pickups with the Vetta, I'm sure the randall is a little less compressed. The thing is, you don't want a pickup that is bass heavy. A strong midrange, specifically upper midrange and highs will help you the most.

Hope this helps.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Hm, maybe a Duncan Distortion, but that's a JB with a gigantic ceramic mag. It's bright as **** all (according to the tonechart on SD's site) but it has a big mid hump too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Solid state amplifier are not digital ffs. They are analog just like tube amps.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Solid state amplifier are not digital ffs. They are analog just like tube amps.

Well, technically the digital refers to the preamp. Solid state tends to refer to the power section.

That being said, if you know how a specific amp responds anyway it doesn't matter what it is because in the end it's the final result youre looking for. Knowing that solid state amps have the compression most tube amps lack, having a dynamic pickup is a necessity for a good tone. Dynamics are going to be more dominant in a brighter pickup than a rather flat one.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio