I just bought a used 5150 cab for 200 bucks used, its a slant

What have i got myself into as far as problems and useage

anything i should know?
For that price you did OK, but Peavey speakers aren't the greatest.

Maybe look into a speaker swap in the future.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
its meh, might want to look into a speaker swap though.

warehousespeakers.com
^ killer speakers - i highly recommend the wgs vet 30- a vintage 30 clone that i think is better than the celestions. $65 each too
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
hmm for the price thats a good deal, you might be able to sell it for more, add in a 100 bucks or so and get something better.

if you don't want to do that than a speaker swap or just keeping them stock would be okay too.

although for a speaker swap i've heard v30's and gt12-75's in a X pattern does well.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Imo they're great cabs, it's just that they sound a little too 'middy' which makes them sound very 'boxy' - when you put a 5150 on top of it it's just ridiculous (Although pretty good for EVH stuff so...). It really just depends on what sound you're trying to get.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
That's a pretty good price.

I paid 350 for my 6505 cab used a few months ago, and I just sold it to someone for 300.
Yeah i play in a metal-core influenced band, and we do lots of breakdowns, but fuze it with pop and good catchy melody. I figured 200 for a 5150 was the best deal i was ognna get. I'm running a Spider II 212 through it
dont the 5150 cabs come with sheffield speakers ? or are those junk too? as stated in a previous post, i am not sure what sounds you get out of that amp head, but matched with the 5150 head, they sound awesome
AGILE PS970/4000 (one off custom) :: JACKSON DKMGT :: DEAN SOLTERO
MESA Dual Rec (2CH) :: (2) AVATAR 2X12 cabs w/ celestions

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
Quote by Phoenix-Kun
Yeah i play in a metal-core influenced band, and we do lots of breakdowns, but fuze it with pop and good catchy melody. I figured 200 for a 5150 was the best deal i was ognna get. I'm running a Spider II 212 through it

wasted money, friend. you could get a good amp with spider money + the money from that cab.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Boo to Sheffields! You'd have been better off with the Randall cab depending on which type it was...

And man, you really should have just put that money together and traded for something other than a Spider III...
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
-_- Its not a spider III....Spider II, theres a huge difference imo

keep in mind i've had the Spider fr 2 years, it was my move up from the 15 watt amp, and i can't afford a head at the moment, but i needed to take the pressure of playing with other halfstacks at practice off my speakers, so i got a cab

I actually get really tight distortion out of it
Quote by Phoenix-Kun

keep in mind i've had the Spider fr 2 years, it was my move up from the 15 watt amp, and i can't afford a head at the moment, but i needed to take the pressure of playing with other halfstacks at practice off my speakers, so i got a cab

I actually get really tight distortion out of it

sell the head, get a new cab later
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by Phoenix-Kun

I agree... unfortunately, I thought that the III was an improvement over the II...Either way they're both pretty bad.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
well the only improvement the three had over the two was a better tuner and user presets, but the point ehre is i'm poor and can't afford a better head. I wanna get a bugera here soon, i really like the tone i get out of it