Ok the lead singer in our band is a bit of a douche. He's a pompous son of a bitch and thinks he's all famous already because his brother is a good musician and trying to make it in Nashville. His brother is actually quite humble most of the time and has a good direction.
Anyway, we'll call this lead singer Charles. Like I was saying, he's a self-important asshole who is always bossing the band around like he's the self-declared leader. He never asks at all it's always "do this" or "do that" or "you're too loud." It's really fuckin annoying when we're playing just fine and he shouts us down to stop to try and fix a fluke mistake. And then he tries to force us to start all over from the beginning!
He also thinks he's seen it all and knows good music. We have a pretty big gig coming up and half our setlist is made up of Eli Young and Kieth Urban! I mean, I'm a fan of them too, but we're not exactly playing to the crowd. It's only what he wants to play and that's it. If we even suggest anything, he changes the subject or just says "do this instead." It's really becoming a problem within the band and the rest of us--the bassist, drummer, and I--have realized this and have tried to deflate his head a little bit. It goes good for a couple of days and then goes back to ****.
Don't get me wrong, he IS a decent singer/player, but he makes it all out to be like he's a bamf. And he's two years younger than us! It's really gotten down to the breaking point but I don't want to quit just because of this one little tumor in the band. We have created some decent musical fusion but the cons are starting to overtake the pros.

What should I do to bring Charles down to earth? Tie him down, sew his mouth shut, and make him listen for once? Or something less drastic? Help?

Fav
Last edited by fav13andac1)c at Mar 15, 2009,
Pimp slap.

EDIT: Sadly, this not being the pit, I shall give a real answer.

Just talk to him nicely about it, tell him not to be so bossy, tell him that it was a fluke mistake, tell him that you're not too loud. He sounds just like he's spoilt, and if you want to stop someone being spoiled, just say no!

And if that fails, Pimp Slap.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Tie her up and drive her into some woods, pour petrol over her and then ask her if she wants you back.

Anyone in Birmingham, England meet up for a Jam?

Quote by uk.mace
My hand gave me a handjob

Won't give me a f*cking blowjob though
Last edited by MrToucan at Mar 15, 2009,
Not to be a dick....but I think prima donna is the description you were looking for.
Besides that, all I can say is tell him to quite being so much of a douche and if he doesnt change and it bothers you that much find someone else to play with
tell him what you just wrote?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
first of all.... it's spelled Prima Donna, lol

anyways, i would suggest being more blatant. it seems like you've tried the subtle, careful route already, and everyone in the band is pissed off with him.

i suggest that the band just learns some tunes that they like, and if buddy won't sing them, tell him to stuff it. even if he IS a good singer, he's nothing without the band behind him. if everyone has different tastes and goals, then the band is doomed in the long run anyways.
It's prima donna, you silly.

You've got the power in numbers. If he refuses to back off kick him out.
My Stuff:
PRS SE Soapbar II
ESP LTD EC-50 (Seymour JB & '59)
Peavey Backstage Plus (1x10 35W)
Peavey Classic (2X12 100W)

Yamaha FG-750s circa 1978

Wishlist:
Fishman Rare Earth acoustic pickups
Boss RC-2 or RC-20
if everyone in the band feels the same just sit him down and tell him what your exact problem is and tell him if this doesnt get fixed he's out.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
first off tell him if he keeps stopping song half way and restarting you'll shove the 1/4 inch jack down his throat, NEVER stop playing until its a total **** up or you've finished or you'll get in the habbit and look like a mega douche on stage. As for the song issue, just try force him to try it if can, nag him or something, i had a drummer like that who just wanted to play fukn queens of the stone age. In the end i say u all tell him to start treaching everyone equal like a band should or you'll kick his ass out
i got it!!!!!!!!!!
Bring another singer and play with him and when this prima donna comes over and sees the new frontman...sit him down and give him a talking to about how he better change or hes gonna be replaced.
...TOUGH LOVE
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Fender Stratocaster Custom
Epiphone Les Paul Classic (w/ EMG-81)
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
The problem is in your title.

Pre-Madonna Lead Singer

Yeah...
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Awww.... Lead Singers' Disease. It can strike anyone, and the results are often catastrophic. Bands broken. Friends become estranged. Substance abuse. Frighteningly, it is an affliction that has drastic effects on about 70-85% of singers. The young are more at-risk, but only because very few singers actually sing past the age of 25 - their careers cut short by this cruel and divisive affliction.

There are no known cures, but some treatments are known to have varying levels of success.

1. Confront him - nicely if possible (you wouldn't approach a tiger by running up to it and screaming would you?) - and inform him he has this disease. Denial is always the first stage. Anger soon follows, but acceptance can be achieved. Tell him that his singing career - not just with you, but with others - can be cut short by this dreadful disease. Like lepers in the bible, most people tend to stay away from these people... even if they are otherwise good people. Only saints seem to be able to endure them without peril.

2. If he can't recognize this disease through you or on his own, he must be taken directly to someone who can fix him. This doctor is typically someone who serves as a musical role model to him, and one that he respects fully. This doctor will give him a dose of 'this is how it works in the real world.... or else!!"

If getting an expert to give his head a shake doesn't work, then nothing will. Call a priest to come and sprinkle him with holy oil, and say some prayers over his body. Wish him well, and assure him that you will see him in his next life.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Awww.... Lead Singers' Disease. It can strike anyone, and the results are often catastrophic. Bands broken. Friends become estranged. Substance abuse. Frighteningly, it is an affliction that has drastic effects on about 70-85% of singers. The young are more at-risk, but only because very few singers actually sing past the age of 25 - their careers cut short by this cruel and divisive affliction.

There are no known cures, but some treatments are known to have varying levels of success.

1. Confront him - nicely if possible (you wouldn't approach a tiger by running up to it and screaming would you?) - and inform him he has this disease. Denial is always the first stage. Anger soon follows, but acceptance can be achieved. Tell him that his singing career - not just with you, but with others - can be cut short by this dreadful disease. Like lepers in the bible, most people tend to stay away from these people... even if they are otherwise good people. Only saints seem to be able to endure them without peril.

2. If he can't recognize this disease through you or on his own, he must be taken directly to someone who can fix him. This doctor is typically someone who serves as a musical role model to him, and one that he respects fully. This doctor will give him a dose of 'this is how it works in the real world.... or else!!"

If getting an expert to give his head a shake doesn't work, then nothing will. Call a priest to come and sprinkle him with holy oil, and say some prayers over his body. Wish him well, and assure him that you will see him in his next life.

CT

Chris, I love you. Not only was that hilariously put, but a great answer as well
Best advice in this forum:
When he says stop playing, don't.
Do that, I'm not asking.

(Anybody get the joke?)
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Quote by pengiunman
Best advice in this forum:
When he says stop playing, don't.
Do that, I'm not asking.

(Anybody get the joke?)

Explain, please?

I'm really liking the feedback by the way I'll do some if these things I really appreciate it!
Quote by fav13andac1)c
Explain, please?

I'm really liking the feedback by the way I'll do some if these things I really appreciate it!

Like I'm telling you to do it, like a little thirteen old singer with a big ego.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Chris, I love you. Not only was that hilariously put, but a great answer as well

Thanks. I found myself giggling a bit when I wrote it too.... some things just kinda..... come to you.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

CT

This is why Chris should be a mod here with Slacker
Quote by axemanchris

CT

For me the role model was a guy called 'Swailsy', he soon pointed me in the right direction quite early on in my career.
In my own experience with dealing with any musician's large ego, the best approach I've found is for the entire band to point at them and laugh and severely take the piss whenever the ego raises it's head.
They either soon change their behaviour or ship out because they can't handle the constant piss taking.
Peer pressure, when used correctly, can be a wonderfuly powerful tool.