I'm trying to write a sweep picking song in the style of Jason Becker's Perpetual Burn (the song, not the album). I know the song is almost all diminished chords. What are some good chord progressions that I can use for sweeping in the diminished scale?
Any diminished arpeggio, up or down a m3 (3 frets) and that's about it. That's for a fully diminished thing. I, personally, like moving diminished chords/arpeggios up/down a M2, and augmented chords/arpeggios up/down a m3.
The diminished scale isn't used to construct chord progressions. You could harmonize it, but said harmony would be completely non-functional.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by ledzeppelin535
I'm trying to write a sweep picking song in the style of Jason Becker's Perpetual Burn (the song, not the album). I know the song is almost all diminished chords. What are some good chord progressions that I can use for sweeping in the diminished scale?

... have you extensively analysed Perpetual Burn yet?
Screw diminished!
Augmented arpeggios chromatically down the neck sound amazing
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Quote by theocao
Screw diminished!
Augmented arpeggios chromatically down the neck sound amazing

True but augmented arps tend to be bastards to play due to massive stretches or weirdly fingered sweep shapes

To TS, perpetual burn is not diminished chords all the way through, it is made up of major, minor and diminished arpeggios aswell as using minor scales and probably a bit of phyrgian dominant thrown in there too.
Quote by griffRG7321
True but augmented arps tend to be bastards to play due to massive stretches or weirdly fingered sweep shapes

To TS, perpetual burn is not diminished chords all the way through, it is made up of major, minor and diminished arpeggios aswell as using minor scales and probably a bit of phyrgian dominant thrown in there too.

He is correct.

It may seem more diminished as other songs, because of the heavy Harmonic minor usage, which due to the nature add diatonically another diminished chord/interval and/or another augmented chord/interval depending on ur perspective.

This is if you approach Harmonic minor as a scale rather then as a classical convention.

From another perspective, you can build another 7th chord which can be replaced by a diminished sub. chord.

This is just my theory on why I believe Diminished is a strong factor in Neoclassical (metal/rock) music, because when I played around with harmonic minor as a scale, and made licks from it, that interval quite drastically changes alot in my melody.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 16, 2009,
Quote by Archeo Avis
The diminished scale isn't used to construct chord progressions. You could harmonize it, but said harmony would be completely non-functional.
This.

The best you can get is to use the diminished chord as a rootless dominant chord (so Bmb5 can also be looked at like a rootless G7) and write completely with dominant chords. Even then, that's kind of flaky.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.