So after using my guitar as a toy or a decoration for the past 20 years I have decided I wanted to learn how to play it. Sure I know some chords and a few riffs ... but I didn't know what I was playing.

I have been devouring everything I can read and am progressing rather quickly but I have not found a drill for teaching myself to play and sing at the same time.

Take Margaritaville for example. I can play it pretty well ... and I can sing it pretty well. But I just cant seem to do both at the same time. As soon as I open my mouth, my strum pattern goes out the window.

What do I do now?
"All Thumbs"
get a simple strumming pattern.
it works.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
What I do is look for where words in the lyrics match up with beats.

Then I sing through the song without playing guitar but just putting a lot of emphasis on those words that match up with the beats. It really helps me relate the rhythm of the vocals directly to the rhythm of the instruments, so when I try it again with both the vocals and the guitar it feels that the two are part of the same thing rather than being two different things you have to struggle to keep together.
If you have a procedure done to cut the corpus callosum of your brain. The left brain will be free to focus on the singing, while your right brain will focus on the motor techniques you use to play guitar. Essentially your left and right brain won't be able to communicate with each other allowing you to sing and play simultaneously.
Quote by RU Experienced?
If you have a procedure done to cut the corpus callosum of your brain. The left brain will be free to focus on the singing, while your right brain will focus on the motor techniques you use to play guitar. Essentially your left and right brain won't be able to communicate with each other allowing you to sing and play simultaneously.

+1

Sounds reasonable.

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

Lol I can barely talk when playing guitar... its sad really.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
i think this guy should get an award

Quote by RU Experienced?
just keep on playing. and dont worry about it. when i "tried" to learn to sing and play i couldnt...then one day i tried again and i was able to do it. i finds it helps if you sing and play to the music though.

eventually it'll come to you.
Once I get a feel for music timing, will this come easier for every song I learn or will each new song be a fresh hell?
"All Thumbs"
just try talking while playing, it'll be hard at first, but you'll get used to it.

and it'll also help if you ever will want to play+sing
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by Methost
Once I get a feel for music timing, will this come easier for every song I learn or will each new song be a fresh hell?

Basically, unless you get the operation done, it works like this: you essentially have to know how to do one for the song, either singing or playing guitar, without thinking about it. You should be able to do it in your sleep. So then you can concentrate on doing the one you don't have perfectly memorized and you have to think about. But as you do this for more and more songs, it gets easier.

Quote by RU Experienced?

Yeah, I had this done and... I had this.... ooh, a leaf!
a little off subject but..

if you have the corpus callosum surgery(which i have actually heard of before this) would it be possible to say read 2 things at once? like say you have a book full of poetry or somethin that is seperated into 2 things on each side. since your mind can think without blockage would you be able to do 2 at once? or does it solely only work with say. talking, and the other being motor skills?(im thinkin this since differnt parts of brain control differnt things.)
hmm, everyone says you have to be able to play the song without having to even think about it, aka on muscle memory. But it's also a matter of splitting your concentration. Basically the same thing, but it can be hard to learn how to do.

For me, when I sing and play, I find my attention constantly switching priorities automatically. All instrumental intro, complete focus on guitar. one measure before singing starts, my brain goes "OH CRAP SINGING TAKE A FREAKING BREATHE AND THINK OF THE NOTE!" so my first note usually sucks haha. The guitar takes background from there. On the break between phrases, my brain focuses on the guitar again, as most songs have a slightly more challenging riff there.

It's like when you are riding a bike down the road and find yourself thinking about a lot of things, while nearly unconciously avoiding that ravenous dog, that pole that popped out of nowhere on the side of the road, or the car in the completely wrong lane; it just doesn't take precedence. Okay, so this is just basically a long winded explanation of being able to play the guitar without having to think much about it :P!

Or maybe I was born without a corpus callusum thingy... idk, singing while playing has never been a major problem for me. Mostly, for the complicated singing patterns over troublesome riffs, I just practice it a lot :/.
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace
Quote by RU Experienced?
Essentially your left and right brain won't be able to communicate with each other allowing you to sing and play simultaneously.

Fine as long as you only know the one song, otherwise you've only got a 1/n* chance of getting the lyrics to match the playing...

* Where n is to number of songs known.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
What helped me was to break it down into 3 parts. The singing, the fingering and the strumming.

Practice singing the song alone, learn all the words. You don't have to be 100% on the lyrics, humming parts you can't remember are fine starting out. Learn where the chord changes take place in the song and add in your fretting hand. Sing the song while making the chord switches without any strumming. Next, practice singing the song while strumming but not making the chord changes, yes it'll sound like ****, maybe just strum on your leg or something.

Then put it all together and practice, practice, and practice some more. Once you can sing and play a couple songs the disconnect in your brain will work better and it'll be easier and easier with each song.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Then you could realistically arm wrestle yourself? =D
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.