Alright so I have an Ibanez TBX150H (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TBX150H-Tone-Blaster-Xtreme-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=480946) and decided that the cheaper way to go about the cabinet ($500) was to just build it. Here are some specs on the head itself and the matching cabinet:

Head:
* 150W at 4 ohms
Cabinet:
* 4 - 12" Speakers
* 320-Watt Handling Capacity
* 2-Piece Split Baffle
* MDF Baffle Board
* Particle Board Back and Sides
* 1 x 4 Ohm and 1 x 16 Ohm Jacks

So basically, how many watt's can the speakers be? I'm pretty sure it's 80, but would I be able to use 80 and up? Thanks for the help!
are you buying a custom-built cab, or building it yourself?

i would strongly not advise the latter, unless you completely know what you are doing/have experience.

addendum: i would not use particle board for a cabinet. through vibrations it will eventually fall apart. use birch ply instead.
Quote by Skierinanutshel

i would strongly not advise the latter, unless you completely know what you are doing/have experience.

addendum: i would not use particle board for a cabinet. through vibrations it will eventually fall apart. use birch ply instead.

agreed, and agreed.

you can get a quality cab for $500, any reason you want to build it yourself ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I like to build stuff myself. I build my own guitars and pedals. I was just wondering about the wattages on the speakers
Quote by NearDissent
I like to build stuff myself. I build my own guitars and pedals. I was just wondering about the wattages on the speakers

yes, using 80 watt speakers will be fine.

although i cant imagine you would want to crank that amp.....

and i will still strongly advise not making the cab yourself, especially with the aforementioned materials. one little gap, one bad joint, one loose joint, and the cab will rattle, sound horrid, and might even, literally, fall apart. even if the cabinet is built to the correct dimensions, with lower-grade hardware holding it together, problems will arise.

addendum: and why do you need 320 watt capacity with only a head that is only 150W?
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by NearDissent
Not a good amp?
And is it okay if the speakers are more than 80W each?

it is perfectly fine if they are over 80 watts. heck, a very popular 4x12 is one that is loaded with celestion greenbacks, and they are only 25W speakers.
Quote by NearDissent
So as long as the Speaker Wattage is more than the head, it's okay?

ok as in you wont blow the speakers? yes.

even with a 100W amp, you can run a 4x12 loaded with 25W speakers, and generally (there are exceptions) you will be fine.
Thanks man. Did you say that this isn't a good head? I haven't bought it yet, but my friend wants to sell it to me, so I still have time to change my mind.
Quote by NearDissent
Thanks man. Did you say that this isn't a good head? I haven't bought it yet, but my friend wants to sell it to me, so I still have time to change my mind.

tonally, it is a horrible head. i would highly recommend not buying it. ever.

what kind of music do you play? how loud do you need to be? budget?
I play progressive metal. My budget isn't very high and he's selling it for $200, and I am in desperate need to upgrade my Line6 Spider III 75 Watt Combo
Quote by NearDissent
I play progressive metal. My budget isn't very high and he's selling it for $200, and I am in desperate need to upgrade my Line6 Spider III 75 Watt Combo

hmm, i'm not much a metal-amp kind of person, but i will say you can do better than that amp with your budget. do you play with a drummer at all?
Yeah, we have one in our band. To give you an example of how loud he is, he's 6'3", 200 pounds and we call him the beast.
Quote by NearDissent
Yeah, we have one in our band. To give you an example of how loud he is, he's 6'3", 200 pounds and we call him the beast.

i'm not exactly sure how his physical measurements can establish a decibel rating, but whatever

so, you are going to need probably at least 30W tube, since i'm guessing you guys play loud. and your budget isnt very high, and you still need a cab.

i would take this to GG&A, and post in the "Which amp?" stickied thread. list everything you have told me (budget, playing styles, loudness needed) and you will get a lot better help than in there, since your original GB&C question was answered.

and, i still hope you are not going to build the cab yourself.
Thanks. I'll probably check that out. And going against everyone's advice, I think I'll still build my own cabinet. It's how you learn.

Thanks for the help!
Don't worry about building a cab, if you are confident at DIY it is an easy job and there are tricks to improve your cab that many manufacturers don't do for economic reasons. there is no reason why your cab should leak or fall apart and the only thing that a professional cab will beat you on is finish. Have a look in the columns on matching speakers and amps and in the bass forum at 'lets say I want to build a cabinet'. If you want any tips I'll gladly help
i agee you never will learn unless you do it well i think its a much better way to learn.
i agee you never will learn unless you do it well i think its a much better way to learn.