Ok, I'm not sure about how ''advanced'' these things are, but I need some advice 'couse I don't want to practice the wrong things - I play a scale which I finish on the high E string on frets 3, 5 & 7. Where should my thumb be (behind the neck, above...) and what fingering should I use - 1 2 4 or 1 3 4?
i usually use 124 fingering, but i'm pretty sure that's preference, or based on what your leading into. your thumb should be pretty flat on the back of the neck in a comfortable place
I put my guitar on my left leg when I play lead stuff. When I play the Lydian 3nps pattern after all those notes when i just have to finsh at the high E, my thumb goes way above the neck. If I try to keep it behind, I end up not touching the neck at all, my thub just floats. Any advice on exercises on fixing this?
Quote by Muppetmaster
I put my guitar on my left leg when I play lead stuff. When I play the Lydian 3nps pattern after all those notes when i just have to finsh at the high E, my thumb goes way above the neck. If I try to keep it behind, I end up not touching the neck at all, my thub just floats. Any advice on exercises on fixing this?

Just do the same thing but slowly enough to actually control what you're doing - the only reason you can't keep your thumb under control is because you're doing it too fast.

As for the original question about fingering I would say that you should be able to do it both ways depending on the situation.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Muppetmaster

I do sort of the same thing.
As I progressively get higher up the strings, my thumb switches from the pad to the first joint in the back. Try that, maybe?
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Re: the fingering - 1-3-4 for me. It's just always been easier for me to stretch between my ring and pinky, than to stretch between my index and middle as in the 1-2-4 approach.

Either way will work though.