I've spent most of my time just playing songs thru tabs but I can't play a thing if I wanted to Just Improv! How can I start? and what knowledge should i obtain/strengthen to help me improvising?

Thank you Kindly ^^
It just kind of happened to me. Before, I'd just sit down, and play through a lot of songs I knew with my iPod. One weekend, I let my friend borrow my iPod, and I just played some riffs from songs I knew, and sooner or later, I was just playing improv.

It helps to know scales. If not, Chromatic is a good choice.

Just pick a scale, and go dood.
no scales...get influences from good guitarists and learn techniques
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Learn the pentatonic scale, find a backing track on youtube or something, improv.

Also, read the improv section in the MT faq guide.

Quote by brooklynsoulja1
no scales...get influences from good guitarists and learn techniques

Last edited by wesselbindt at Mar 15, 2009,
lol yea i have a habit of writing know as no
=( yes scales lol
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
How long have you been playing? If your still relatively new then its difficult to improv.... i've been playing for a while and im just now starting do develop my improvisation..... The best thing is to look for ways to apply techniques that you learned from the songs that you can play
almost 2 years but I can play almost any song with the tab but if i try to play freely on the guitar i freeze and cant put 2 and 2 together..would scales really help me the best at this point and also what else can i do?

Please tell me i have the time and am willing to work extremely hard to be able to IMPROV

thanks again
Last edited by tru23nyte at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by brooklynsoulja1
lol yea i have a habit of writing know as no
=( yes scales lol

Lol...I should of caught that anyway, I'll delete my last post.
The best way to learn to improv is to improv. Seriously. Just sit down, turn some music on, but not too loud! and just jam along to it. Doesn't matter if a solo is on or not, keep going. And, even better, get a backing track that just repeats the same thing over and over again.

Learn your scales (even the octatonic and hexatonic), your major/minor pentatonics, arpeggios, and just experiment.

And the best thing to do after you've found the key and stuff, is just feel it. I was put on the spot at my jazz band concert, I had to improv over 33 measures, and, from what i've heard from people in the crowd, is it was kickass. I don't remember what I played at all, I think I had my eyes closed. Just let it flow, and use theory as you're guide to getting where you want to go.
Providing you want to play rock, all i can tell you is jimi hendrix tabs.
And cream/clapton tabs, and all that.
There the masters, and the speeds they play at is nothing hard. learn your basic pentatonic scale (minor), all over the neck if possible, and learn blues licks within that scale. play them over the records. listen to the stuff. learn actual solo's, just don't try to make your own from scratch, its harder. once you get faster, and better, learn harder solo's and more scales.
If you’re not already doing it, learn to play by ear. I noticed a big "feel" improvement once I started doing that. Also start studying old blues guitarists. Learn there licks and phrases and put twist on them so they become your own.