View poll results: string thru body or "badass" style
string thru body
9 36%
"badass"
14 56%
other lol....(floyd rose) etc...
2 8%
Voters: 25.
just wondering which of these you fellow Bass players prefer, I own a MIA fender jazz (thru-body) IMO, it sounds much better than a "badass"......
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
i think the obvious answer here is LEO QUAN BADASS III a badass bridge with thru body stringing
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Haven't play a bass with either
Last edited by eaton1012 at Mar 15, 2009,
My Peavey is a string-thru body and it seems to be a lot less buzzy than a string-thru bridge.
top load, easier to use.

nobody needs too much sustain, if it's built well and has a thick bridge, that's enough for me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
On the Jazz I find that string thru provides a tighter, more focused sound than the Badass.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
^ yea, me too...i played the geddy lee sig w/badass and wasn't too thrilled with the bridge or the guitar, but i am partial to the MIA's. The jap plant does not impress me. at least with the newer fenders.

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Gotta love the extra tension of thru body.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
I'm really on the fence about how top load/strings through the body changing sustain makes any sense. To me it sounds like one of those myths, like angling the strings after the nut increases string tension.

I don't understand what difference it makes what a string is going through - it's what happens BETWEEN the nut and bridge that matters. Before and after is irrelevant.

But, my guess is this: stringing through the body means the strings are coming out of the bass perpendicular to how they'll be played, as opposed to parallel. To me, that sounds like the strings are pulling the bridge down on the body harder than a top-load bridge would, as that kind of bridge would be pulled ALONG the body, not ONTO the body. That, in turn, results in less screws being needed (a BadAss II has 5, a BadAss III has 3), meaning more wood under the bridge, meaning more bridge/body contact, and that COULD help the sustain.

But then you're losing wood from burrowing the strings through the body. BUT that wood's not near the bridge, so the benefits might outweigh the detriments. And then there's the theory that Warwick bridges run on the same principle as strings-through, while still being top-load.

So, as you can see, there are arguements for both sides - none of which are particularly interesting, relevant, or worth arguing.

EDIT: The adding of string tension is just idiocy. Please, please someone school me here. Because you can't. Make me look like an ass about this, someone.

EDIT EDIT: String tension is the ratio of string gauge, material, length, and pitch. Nothing more, nothing less. Increase one of those things, and something else must be thrown out of whack.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 18, 2009,
^ yup. These string-thru concepts are like those marketing gimmicks. I actually heard "This is the same method that they use for violins, violas etc."! Yeah... Only in these instruments the bridge isn't glued, it is actually held by string's tension. Screw economy))) You save screws and make good promo for that bridge) Go Fender!

I won't be surpirsed if Fender starts using MDF boards and claim that "They come PRE-PRESSED for that WIIIIIIIILD sustain". I mean, come on guys.
I dunno - the sustain issue might have some credit for the reasons I've mentioned, but the whole string tension thing is lies. And the magazines disclaim it by saying the "perceived" string tension is high.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
fitz, Bassilo.....brilliant work. the reason I posted this thread was to invoke some serious analysis on the topic of tonal quality. even if the bridge is only one of many aspects of tonal quality....it helps, thanks. I still will play my cali made fender jazz. (thru-body)

I don't know about tone difference, but I like how fast I can slot strings into my Warwick's bridge without much effort.