I've always heard that they're an awful combination, and that you absolutely NEED a tube amp before you use active pickups, but I tried an active RG out through a Valvetronix (with a little distortion) today and it wasn't half bad. The Guitar Center guy told me actives and ss amps sounded great together, but then he tried to sell me a Spider, so that kinda ruined the credibility.

My question is why shouldn't you use active pickups and solid state amps together?

Thanks
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
I've used EMG 81s with SS amps before and been stoaked with the results, all that beautiful clarity and punch, not to mention the lack of noise. Best prepare your flameshield however because when the legions of wannabe tone snobs see this thread, you're gonna get it...
Quote by jsaatsaz
I've always heard that they're an awful combination, and that you absolutely NEED a tube amp before you use active pickups, but I tried an active RG out through a Valvetronix (with a little distortion) today and it wasn't half bad. The Guitar Center guy told me actives and ss amps sounded great together, but then he tried to sell me a Spider, so that kinda ruined the credibility.

My question is why shouldn't you use active pickups and solid state amps together?

Thanks

yeah that guy was desperate for a sale lol.

anyways, it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks man. Just do what sounds good to YOU. if someone else doesn't like your tone, big deal. If it sounds good to you thats all that matters.
Quote by slash4114
yeah that guy was desperate for a sale lol.

anyways, it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks man. Just do what sounds good to YOU. if someone else doesn't like your tone, big deal. If it sounds good to you thats all that matters.

^ True.

I have a Vox ad30vt and a MIA Strat and a Viper 400 with EMG's in the Viper. Both guitars have their own distinct sound but sound very good none the less. I wouldn't be afraid especially if you are happy with the sound and tone.
Last edited by cranium2001 at Mar 15, 2009,
I agree. Unless you're using a insanely-high output active (SD Blackouts Metal) you're in no trouble.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Uh... to my knowledge no RG comes with active pickups.

Ibanez RGT6EXFX
works fine for cleans, when you start using a lot of gain though (i.e if you play modern metal) then it starts to sound excessively harsh. The reason for the stereotype is that most people who want EMGs or other active pickups usually want them for modern metal.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 15, 2009,