Page 1 of 3
I have a 2.5 W SS amp (yes, 2.5w ss..... ) and I'm sick of it.

Now I'd like to buy a tube amp.
- It'll be for home use only, so I don't need big wattage (5 should be more than enough)
- I play blues, classic rock, anything but metal.
- I'll mostly use a Strat, but also some humbuckers here and there
- It could be either a combo or a head+cab, I don't mind.
- I could spend up to 1000$ total.
- I'd rather buy high quality so I don't have to worry about another amp for home use.
- As versatile as possible, while retaining quality sound for the different stykes (cleans to OD)

Basically, I'd like this amp to be somewhat of a do-it-all (quality sound, fitted for my styles) that I'll keep for home use till I die
I'd like to have good cleans and overdrive, if possible. Over the two, cleans is more important because I could use pedals for OD.

IDEALLY: An amp in my budget that could get close to fender cleans and a british overdrive

OR: am I better off buying 2 different amps specializing in different things: an amp for cleans and another for OD?
For example, I'd get a Fender Champ clone for cleans and use OD pedals until I buy an OD-oriented amp (mini Plexi, for example)

I'm up for any suggestions that fit in my budget and styles!
If the most sought after things are often the most simple, then:

6 shoelaces of varying sizes tied onto a branch
+ 1 Quarter (pick)
----------------------------
= ULTIMATE TONE
Last edited by MCRibz at Mar 18, 2009,
a blackheart 5 watt should do the trick, then run a mercury magnetics mod on the transformers to really make it sound good.

addendum: it is a blackheart BH5 for the record.

although, you could go with a higher-overall, but switchable amp such as a blackheart handsome devil (15/7W) or an orange tiny terror (15/7W) and both are still within your budget, and do all those styles very well.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Mar 15, 2009,
Crate V5 maybe, they are like $100,
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Mesa Express 5:25? Not sure how much that's going for. . . might be too much.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Are there any amps I could get without modding? Because I know I'd have to mod the Valve Junior, or put Mercury Magnetics in a Blackheart...

Which amps sound great un-modded?
Also, are there boutique low watt amps I could get for 1000$

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Quote by MCRibz
Are there any amps I could get without modding? Because I know I'd have to mod the Valve Junior, or put Mercury Magnetics in a Blackheart...

Which amps sound great un-modded?
Also, are there boutique low watt amps I could get for 1000$

the tiny terror and blackhearts sound great unmodded, i was just referencing that if you wanted to.
Fender Champion 600 + a 12'' cabinet. I just buy one, and this little baby is amazing!
What about the Vox VT? I know they are not a real tube amp, but especially at low volumes they sound better then all this cheap 5w tube amps, IMHO. (And now, dont hate me please) Plus a Vox would suit his needs perfectly.

If you consider a 15Watt tube amp, then you could also go for a VOX AC15. Sweet little amps. There could also be some small low wattagish boutique tube amps I can't name at the moment out there.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Last edited by OrangeWalls at Mar 15, 2009,
^Agreed on the VT, better than the small tube amps. If the TS doesn't want to use his whole budget they're great. I'd certainly give them a shot either way.

I'd get a blues jr, and reamp it. Throw a couple nice overdrives in front and be set. Maybe have a tech to mod the bjr for bias, and have him replace the OT and speaker.

Or, a zvex nano, a nice cab and a nice overdrive.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Mar 15, 2009,
tiny terror
Orange AD5
maybe the Vox AC4tv when it comes out
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Look for a used Mesa 5:25?

Other than that, various Blackhearts (I'm not an expert on them at all), the Blackstar HT-5, or maybe a Vox AC15.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Agreed on the VT, better than the small tube amps. If the TS doesn't want to use his whole budget they're great. I'd certainly give them a shot either way.

I'd get a blues jr, and reamp it. Throw a couple nice overdrives in front and be set. Maybe have a tech to mod the bjr for bias, and have him replace the OT and speaker.

Or, a zvex nano, a nice cab and a nice overdrive.

you and your american voicings...

oh, i should try the nano out since my shop just brought in zvex stuff.....i really have no idea what it sounds like
Vox Valvetronix series (XL, VT, AC#VT)
They have a power usage switch in the back; so you can turn down the power usage knob to make the amp have a lower wattage but crank it up so you get your tubes warmed up...
Wow the Egnater looks awsome! Anyone own it/played it?
Their wattage control, is that an attenuator? Or something else?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
I'd go with a 30 watt tube amp. A Marshall or Fender works beautifully for the job.

A Marshall Bluesbreaker with some searching on ebay can be won for $1000

A Vox AC30 (quite British-voiced) can also do the job.

I prefer the Marshall for obvious reasons (I use it as my home amp AND gig amp)
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
The Egnater looks great on paper, but in reality is a bit gimmicky. And the tone is a bit thin and (imo) lacks the amount of mids I want. It would be great if you play uber-br00talz scooped mids stuff, but then if you play that you wouldn't be looking at it anyway.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
hmmm true the more I read about the Egnater the worst it gets...

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
I liked it when I played through it. Used a nashville tele and a Dean 79 series ML. Did all the fendery stuff pretty well and has a pretty nice OD. Wish i would have had my pedals with me. It will probably be my next amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Bah...As fast as the Egnater came in, it goes away.

Any other suggestions?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
For under a grand there's actually quite a few. How many watts do you want for home use? Peavey Delta Blues.. Line 6 Flextone.. Fender has several, blues jr,princeton,etc. Vox AC 15. You need to hit the stores and check out as many as possible.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
For wattage I don't think I need more than 5.
I'd also prefer all tube (no hybrids)

But: If I were to get a higher wattage amp (15-20w), would an attenuator fix the volume problem without killing my tone too much?

I don't dismiss the 5-ish watters, though

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
definitely tiny terror, all da way
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
There's also this little guy. They have sound bytes at the bottom of the page.

http://www.drzamps.com/miniz_head.html
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
[again]If I were to get a higher wattage amp (15-20w), would an attenuator fix the volume problem without killing my tone too much?

Also, anyone know of low-watt amps that aren't known as much as others (valv jr, champ, blackeart etc), yet deliver in terms of quality?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
I second the Vox, if youre looking for a small amp check out the DA5, but the VT is also very good if your want something larger
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
Quote by MCRibz
[again]If I were to get a higher wattage amp (15-20w), would an attenuator fix the volume problem without killing my tone too much?

You may be better off with a re-amp rig like Kevin Saale suggested.

I'd keep trolling the used sites, I had a nice 30 watt top hat a couple weeks ago for $850. I scored my Soldano for well under a grand. I think those amps are in a different class than a lot mentioned in this thread. There's nothing wrong with the Rebels, TTs, HT5s or AC4s of the world, you should try them and see what you think.
I'd say a Fender Blues Jr. sounds about right for you. I have one and it's absolutely great for those genres. It's 15W, and all tube.
Fender 1989 MIJ Strat (It's from the 80's, so it's gotta be legit!)
Breedlove AC25 SM
Blackstar HT-5. Cheap, and one of the "biggest" sounding mini amps I've heard.
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/99-blackstar-01.mp3

here's a friend of mine playing it thru a 1x12 Hellatone 60L with a 7 string.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAKwoTYcTow

showing more versatility
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WDzcAd1evo
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Mar 16, 2009,
^^Too expensive, otherwise a great choice. I had the chance to try one and I was extremely pleased. One of the best amps I've ever played.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by gregs1020
You may be better off with a re-amp rig like Kevin Saale suggested.

I'm sorry but I don't really understand what you mean by re-amp

The Orange TT looks likes it's got a very nice OD, but could I get some good cleans out of it?

I'll add in another specification for the amp choice: (less than 10W) I'd like it to be versatile enough, while retaining quality sound for the different types of music (clean to OD) because this'll be THE amp for me for a while. I won't buy another one for a good amount of time, so I'd like this one to be as good as possible!

BTW thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going and re-going over them all the time!

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Quote by MCRibz
I'm sorry but I don't really understand what you mean by re-amp

The Orange TT looks likes it's got a very nice OD, but could I get some good cleans out of it?

I'll add in another specification for the amp choice: (less than 10W) I'd like it to be versatile enough, while retaining quality sound for the different types of music (clean to OD) because this'll be THE amp for me for a while. I won't buy another one for a good amount of time, so I'd like this one to be as good as possible!

BTW thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going and re-going over them all the time!

i love the cleans out of my TT, and the OD sounds good on lower volume settings (even in 15W, and sound better in 7w)

basically, the TT in 7W has some killer OD at not high volumes, and switch it to 15W for good (if you are like me and like the darker british voicing) cleans.
TS, how about a Randall RM20? Not a very loud 20w, and probably my favourite amp of the moment. The switchable modules allow you a load of different sounds, and they actually work.
Quote by Cathbard
Page 1 of 3