Im looking to buy a new guitar and amp..
What is Gain, Distortion, Clean??
What do those mean??

Guitar Newbie.
Alright well clean is exactly that clean amped version of your guitar. Distortion is like the dirt or edgy tones in most hard rock and metal. Gain is kinda involved in Distortion and its sorta like the sustain that is dirty i know somebody is gonna yell at me for that but you just kinda gotta hear it.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Clean is what your guitar sounds like through the amplifier with nothing else. Distortion is what you hear in almost all music today. It is that fuzzy sound. Gain is basically how much distortion you want.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
From wikipedia: In electronics, gain is a measure of the ability of a circuit (often an amplifier) to increase the power or amplitude of a signal.

the other two are pretty self explanatory, i think
Clean is pretty much what you think, its clean, just ur guitar amplified basically, Distortion is like a rock sound, where the guitar is distorted, gain is simply the amount of distortion basically
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
okay ive got an idea unless you live in the middle of nowhere, go to guitarcenter or your local guitar shop and try out an amp any non tube and that will have all three for shure, then you will pretty much know what they are.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Clean=Nothing added to it.

Distortion=That 'shhhhhhh" fuzzy, scratchy sound.

Gain= Amount of distortion.

Clean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jedJ6XY_m74

Distorted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3fM1FDQ_oc

Anything else, my friend?
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
gain is volume that comes during the preamp stage and when it is up too high, the clean sound turns into a distorted sound
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Go on youtube and type in "phaser demo" or "wah demo" and you can hear what it sounds like
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by sportmac49
From wikipedia: In electronics, gain is a measure of the ability of a circuit (often an amplifier) to increase the power or amplitude of a signal.

the other two are pretty self explanatory, i think
Technically speaking "gain" is exactly what it says here. It's amplification. If you turn up the volume, you increase the gain of the amplifying circuit.

However, in guitar vernacular gain is often meant as a reference to driving the amp's circuitry into distortion. A high gain amp refers to an amp that supplies lots of distortion. If you were say "high gain" in a reference to normal electronics it would mean simply that the circuit increased the amplification a lot, and would have nothing to do with distortion. To be knowledgeable it's important to realize that gain means more than one thing and you can distinguish the meaning from the context of the conversation.

So wrt guitars gain frequently means both increasing amplification AND driving the amplification into distortion. That's why the input gain is labeled "gain" and the output "gain" is labeled "volume". Because when the input gain is increased it drives the input circuitry into distortion. But when the output gain is increased it mostly just increases the volume.
Quote by freshflip1322
yea.. thanks..

How bout Pedals, Phaser, Wah, Reverb, Delay.. That stuff..

read the stickies
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.