I am looking for a lower wattage tube combo that can do metal.

All that I have come across of really has been the Blackstar HT5. Can anyone comment on these? Or recomend something else?

I have searched all day to try to find something else besides the Blackstar.

i am playing a C1FR, and an Ibby 7, and my budget is around 6-700 dollars. I wouldnt mind going used either, i just dont know what to look for used.

Help?
There aren't that many to be honest, the Blackstar is probably the best when it comes to low wattages (off the top of my head anyway).

Lowest I can think of is the Randall RG50tc which I think is 50w but your price range is a bit higher than that - you can get a 60w Peavey 5150/6505 pretty comfortably for that price and possibly have some over to change the speakers too.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
had one. wasnt too big on it. although the tone was sweet, it just wasnt me. anything i could look for used besides a 5150?
Mesa Boogie DC-2 or DC-3 they are really great amps and cost about $500.00 used.
Quote by iangunz
Mesa Boogie DC-2 or DC-3 they are really great amps and cost about $500.00 used.

didnt look into those. I was thinkin along the lines of a Express 5:25 if i stretched the budget....they are really lookin sweet.
Rebel isn't very metal. And it's too expensive for what it is. The Rev Pro Jr. is a love/hate amp, but it's worth a shot. I think you could swing a Little Giant with a BitMo mod and an OD.

Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
didnt look into those. I was thinkin along the lines of a Express 5:25 if i stretched the budget....they are really lookin sweet.

Express isn't metal, definitely overpriced. The only thing worthwhile is the cleans. Trust me, I own one. You'd be much better off with an F-30.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by theoreticmusic
Rebel isn't very metal. And it's too expensive for what it is. The Rev Pro Jr. is a love/hate amp, but it's worth a shot. I think you could swing a Little Giant with a BitMo mod and an OD.

Express isn't metal, definitely overpriced. The only thing worthwhile is the cleans. Trust me, I own one. You'd be much better off with an F-30.

wasnt too big on the krank. f-30 seems decent...anything besides mesa?
Quote by mcrfobtai
Probably your best bet

ya after looking into it i thought that might be the best.

sorry to change subject but im looking for an amp that is more brit voiced.

anything i could look into? Forget the low wattage for right now. Im looking for a more in flames kinda tone...marshalls right? JCM900? i hear that marshalls are drowned out by mesa's when blended with the other guitar...true?

i know mesa is american, do they have anything that is more brit voiced (seems like a dumb question i know but just asking)
Best bet is a Randall MTS RM20 with the module of your choice... Or you could go with a Krank Rev Jr.

Another alternative is a Ampeg VH140C ... Sure its not tube but it has no problems hanging with the meanest tube amp when it comes to metal and it can be played at any volume with ease.
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
ya after looking into it i thought that might be the best.

sorry to change subject but im looking for an amp that is more brit voiced.

anything i could look into? Forget the low wattage for right now. Im looking for a more in flames kinda tone...marshalls right? JCM900? i hear that marshalls are drowned out by mesa's when blended with the other guitar...true?

i know mesa is american, do they have anything that is more brit voiced (seems like a dumb question i know but just asking)

In Flames use Peavey 5150s so if you're looking for a similar tone to them you wanna go with something American voiced.

Honestly I think the Krank Rev Jr. is your best bet - a lot of people claim that its muddy but imo all Krank amps are a bit muddy... its kind of a staple for their amps.

Other than that or possibly the Blackstar HT-5H you are gonna be hard pressed to find a low wattage tube amp that can pull off decent metal tones.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Best bet is a Randall MTS RM20 with the module of your choice... Or you could go with a Krank Rev Jr.

Another alternative is a Ampeg VH140C ... Sure its not tube but it has no problems hanging with the meanest tube amp when it comes to metal and it can be played at any volume with ease.

god this convo sounds familiar ibanez . ya know it never crossed my mind about the Randall or the Ampeg.. i kept gettin stuck with ****in mid gain stuff...which wouldnt be a bad, but i want the amps distortion. i will have to go searching for an old ampeg lol
Quote by i_am_metalhead
In Flames use Peavey 5150s so if you're looking for a similar tone to them you wanna go with something American voiced.

Honestly I think the Krank Rev Jr. is your best bet - a lot of people claim that its muddy but imo all Krank amps are a bit muddy... its kind of a staple for their amps.

Other than that or possibly the Blackstar HT-5H you are gonna be hard pressed to find a low wattage tube amp that can pull off decent metal tones.

oh i know the low wattage metal amp are words that should never be together. but i know there has to be somethin out there. hmmm that is suprising that in flames uses 5150's hahahah waht do ya know...take this life vid...there they are...man.

EDIT: I am yet to find a decent soundin rev jr clip, and that is what makes me keep looking else where...and yeah on the muddiness...its a krank, more gain then youll ever need (want depends on the person).

I am a lil worried about the muddiness cuz i already have a 5150 and im not to big on the tone...thus lookin more brittish...in flames newer stuff sounded different then there older stuff...but what do i know i dont follow any band that hardcore.
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Mar 16, 2009,
Quote by The Fret-Dancer
Egnater rebel. Its not a combo but its kinda like a mini-stack. Egnater Rebel. For. Sure.

Are you positively sure about that? I'm looking for something similar and I just don't want to screw up

-Rogger
Quote by The Fret-Dancer
Egnater rebel. Its not a combo but its kinda like a mini-stack. Egnater Rebel. For. Sure.

They make it in combo form as well....

Its the Egnater 30
Quote by IbanezPsycho
They make it in combo form as well....

Its the Egnater 30

hmmm...ill have to look into it. I was more interested in the blackstar then the egnater tho. Any idea how much gain the egnater has? ive heard some pics of the blackstar that had alot more gain then i expected.
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
hmmm...ill have to look into it. I was more interested in the blackstar then the egnater tho. Any idea how much gain the egnater has? ive heard some pics of the blackstar that had alot more gain then i expected.

the Blackstar is an impressive little head man, I bought one used to mess around with, and have been nothing but impressed. It sounds a lot bigger than the other mini amps I've heard, and can pull off quite a few different voicings. The ISF is one of the better sweep/parametric controls I've used. Great value for the cash IMO.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503

the Blackstar is an impressive little head man, I bought one used to mess around with, and have been nothing but impressed. It sounds a lot bigger than the other mini amps I've heard, and can pull off quite a few different voicings. The ISF is one of the better sweep/parametric controls I've used. Great value for the cash IMO.

ive heard that the sweep on the blackstar is much better then the egnater...ive heard that the egnaters ISF control does next to nothing opposed to the blackstar that has a noticible change. Seems to be more geared towards the brit side too..you got any clips erock?
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
ive heard that the sweep on the blackstar is much better then the egnater...ive heard that the egnaters ISF control does next to nothing opposed to the blackstar that has a noticible change. Seems to be more geared towards the brit side too..you got any clips erock?

yeah, the sweep is very noticable, kind of brings it between the american and british voicing. You still have to set the EQ depending where you keep the ISF, but you can shape a lot of sounds. I actually like it cranked to the right, around 3:00. I guess that's the marshall side according to the manual. I have a little clip I made when I first got it. This is thru a 4x12 with V30/H30, and the H30 was mic'd.
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/99-blackstar-01.mp3
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yeah, the sweep is very noticable, kind of brings it between the american and british voicing. You still have to set the EQ depending where you keep the ISF, but you can shape a lot of sounds. I actually like it cranked to the right, around 3:00. I guess that's the marshall side according to the manual. I have a little clip I made when I first got it. This is thru a 4x12 with V30/H30, and the H30 was mic'd.
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/99-blackstar-01.mp3

that sounds amazing. So the clip in your profile is obviously the same...but the name mentions a BB pre amp? is that clip straight guitar to amp?
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
that sounds amazing. So the clip in your profile is obviously the same...but the name mentions a BB pre amp? is that clip straight guitar to amp?

thanks man. I'm using the Xotic BB preamp as a boost pedal, that amp loves boosts. Drive off, volume up. Disregard the word "preamp" in the name, it's just an OD pedal. A great one though, my favorite actually.

guitar into BB, then into amp. I have an MXR 10 band I can use too, it gets a lot heavier sounding with that in the loop. That clip wasn't using it however.

This is my friend Brian using a BB boost and an EQ in the loop with his. It's using a 1x12 Hellatone 60L.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAKwoTYcTow
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by huevos
That Blackstar sounds just right for you.
If your guitar has EMG's then they'll probably push the amp just abit further into a good/better metal tone.

But that's really if you need that much distortion.
Because from the clips I've heard, it sounds pretty decent alone

i agree it does sound like its right up my alley, and honestly it was the only one i kept coming back to. everything else just didnt seem to sound like what i wanted (unless i want to spend double or triple the blackstar). for the price, and how well it sounds by clips im going to have to take a chance on this one. there isnt anyone that carries these in the states that ive found.

Quote by Erock503
thanks man. I'm using the Xotic BB preamp as a boost pedal, that amp loves boosts. Drive off, volume up. Disregard the word "preamp" in the name, it's just an OD pedal. A great one though, my favorite actually.

guitar into BB, then into amp. I have an MXR 10 band I can use too, it gets a lot heavier sounding with that in the loop. That clip wasn't using it however.

This is my friend Brian using a BB boost and an EQ in the loop with his. It's using a 1x12 Hellatone 60L.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAKwoTYcTow

I have a 10 band, and i assumed that would help get it heavier. I also has a Tube Screamer that i think should do the trick. Thanks for all your advice guys. for the price and what ive heard about the blackstar (comparing to Rev jr, Tiny Terror, and Egnater Rebel) the blackstar fit the bill. The tiny terror being a close second...but for the price of that blackstar i think i can live with that decission.

sorry for the wall of text

EDIT: son of a bitch...just got a trade offer for a Tiny Terror....WHAT TO DO!
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
i agree it does sound like its right up my alley, and honestly it was the only one i kept coming back to. everything else just didnt seem to sound like what i wanted (unless i want to spend double or triple the blackstar). for the price, and how well it sounds by clips im going to have to take a chance on this one. there isnt anyone that carries these in the states that ive found.

I have a 10 band, and i assumed that would help get it heavier. I also has a Tube Screamer that i think should do the trick. Thanks for all your advice guys. for the price and what ive heard about the blackstar (comparing to Rev jr, Tiny Terror, and Egnater Rebel) the blackstar fit the bill. The tiny terror being a close second...but for the price of that blackstar i think i can live with that decission.

sorry for the wall of text

EDIT: son of a bitch...just got a trade offer for a Tiny Terror....WHAT TO DO!

Im not a big fan of tiny terrors and metal to be honest. But its a toss up because its no money out of pocket for ya and you can always sell it and get the Blackstar later on.... Its a hard choice man...
EH. TTs are definitely not for metal. And they're definitely not great amps. But there are loads of people who think they are, so you can always flip it. I do it all the time.

Don't judge me.
I love the Tiny Terror I guess you have to try it.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by theoreticmusic
EH. TTs are definitely not for metal. And they're definitely not great amps. But there are loads of people who think they are, so you can always flip it. I do it all the time.

ive heard some good metal clips of them...im not lookin for over the top in your face distortion. And i am looking for versatility....the TT seems more for classic rock n blues n ****..and it will get alot of use for that..but i have heard it pushed to metal territory.....but since you got on the subject why do you think they arent great amps?

i didnt want the TT because people said "oh thats the coolest amp you can definately play metal" I wanted it because it fits into the perameters that i original started with in this search for an amp.

so lets hear your opinion
I owned the amp for awhile, and the only thing that it was good for was a classic british crunch, IMO. It costs over $500 and has only a half-power switch, MV, gain, and a single tone knob. No effects loop, and no EQ. The lack of an EQ is what really kills the amp. It's flat, unversatile, uninspiring, and one-directional. It's overpriced for what it is, and doesn't take pedals well (again, for lack of an EFX loop). It's cleans are sterile, it's high-gain tones are buzzy, and it doesn't have the right voicing for metal.

It would me a much better amp if it had either an effects loop, EQ circuit (or both), and was priced about $100-$150 less.

Don't judge me.
well said....i think an eq would benefit it alot for sure (from the sounds of it). i dont run any FX besides a 10 band eq and a TS. and i have a noise gate but i dont think i would need to run that for one of these (the noise gate has a loop built into it...maybe i could use that? as an fx loop. no?)
no. the loop on the noise gate is designed to take pedals out of the loop of an amp to prevent noise and tone sucking. the efx loop on the amp comes after the preamp and before the poweramp.

Don't judge me.
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
oh i know the low wattage metal amp are words that should never be together. but i know there has to be somethin out there. hmmm that is suprising that in flames uses 5150's hahahah waht do ya know...take this life vid...there they are...man.

EDIT: I am yet to find a decent soundin rev jr clip, and that is what makes me keep looking else where...and yeah on the muddiness...its a krank, more gain then youll ever need (want depends on the person).

I am a lil worried about the muddiness cuz i already have a 5150 and im not to big on the tone...thus lookin more brittish...in flames newer stuff sounded different then there older stuff...but what do i know i dont follow any band that hardcore.

if your looking for something british, check out a JCM900, the combo would run for around 600-700 bucks and its pretty good. but if your looking for hardcore sound, there arent many british amps that are going to suit you, the 5150 should satisfy your needs. what are your settings on it?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
if your looking for something british, check out a JCM900, the combo would run for around 600-700 bucks and its pretty good. but if your looking for hardcore sound, there arent many british amps that are going to suit you, the 5150 should satisfy your needs. what are your settings on it?

lol i think you mis read my post. im not really lookin for a super hardcore sound...but what i meant is that i dont follow any band that "hardcore" maybe i could have used much.

i was lookin into a JCM 900 and seemed right up my alley. Im looking for more of a "classy" distortion that is still pretty heavy. brit voiced stuff seemed to be a little less in your face
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
lol i think you mis read my post. im not really lookin for a super hardcore sound...but what i meant is that i dont follow any band that "hardcore" maybe i could have used much.

i was lookin into a JCM 900 and seemed right up my alley. Im looking for more of a "classy" distortion that is still pretty heavy. brit voiced stuff seemed to be a little less in your face

Sorry, I know its higher wattage and a bit more then you wanted to spend but when I read the word "Classy" distortion.... The first thing to pop in my head was an Engl Fireball. It could just be me and my opinion, but that is how I would name there tone. Just be cause of the smoothness and how refined it is, subtle but in your face at the same time.