Hi guys,

Just needed to illicit the collected experience of everyone else who has spent more time performing guitar mods than I will probably ever will.

I have an Ibanez RG with a HSH configuration, 1 volume pot and 1 tone pot and a 5-way switch.

I'm trying to wire up the guitar with a Push-Pull pot for series / parallel operation.

Has anyone managed to do this with this configuration before?

Pot down - Serial operation

Bridge (serial humbucker), 1 coil bridge HB and middle single (serial), Single middle, middle single and 1 coil neck humbucker (serial), Neck (serial humbucker)

Pot up - Parallel operation

Bridge (parallel humbucker), 1 coil bridge HB and middle single (parallel), Single middle, middle single and 1 coil neck humbucker (parallel), Neck (parallel humbucker)

I want to have it such that when I do the coil switch, it changes the humbuckers from serial to parallel.

Any help would be much appreciated. I've searched online but I can't find anything that does this exactly. Though I've found others that do it for 2 humbuckers.

I've searched
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/
http://www.seymourduncan.com/
http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/serpar.html
http://sthac.free.fr/pictures/sthac-HSH-wiring.jpg <- does it for coil splitting, but not switching
http://www.guitarnuts.com

Even did a search on UG, but it seems to present more on coil tapping than it does switching.

If anyone can tell me if this is possible, and if it is, where can I get the schematics.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=HSH_1v_1t_5w_pushpull

just wire the push/pull for series/parallel. i think?

EDIT: also make sure the 5-way is the way you want it, i don't know how it's wired in that diagram. just mix 'n match.
Last edited by gnomieowns at Mar 15, 2009,
^ nnnope. won't do what TS is asking for.

Quote by ragingkitty
Pot down - Serial operation

Bridge (serial humbucker), 1 coil bridge HB and middle single (serial), Single middle, middle single and 1 coil neck humbucker (serial), Neck (serial humbucker)

Pot up - Parallel operation

Bridge (parallel humbucker), 1 coil bridge HB and middle single (parallel), Single middle, middle single and 1 coil neck humbucker (parallel), Neck (parallel humbucker)
it's easy. you're only selecting 2 coils (at most) at a time .

1 - use a 4P5T superswitch
2 - 2 poles of the superswitch select the first coil, the other 2 poles select the second coil
3 - the push pull put the selected coils in either series or parallel.
4 - for the middle only position you use only throws for the pole that is always connected to hot and the pole that is always connect to ground. the other throws are left open.
5 - ?????????
6 - PROFIT!!!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by gnomieowns
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=HSH_1v_1t_5w_pushpull

just wire the push/pull for series/parallel. i think?

EDIT: also make sure the 5-way is the way you want it, i don't know how it's wired in that diagram. just mix 'n match.

I have that diagram, but can't make any sense of it ... apart from just wiring it up. haha not exactly an engineer. How do I wire the push-pull for series parallel?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
^ nnnope. won't do what TS is asking for.

it's easy. you're only selecting 2 coils (at most) at a time .

1 - use a 4P5T superswitch
2 - 2 poles of the superswitch select the first coil, the other 2 poles select the second coil
3 - the push pull put the selected coils in either series or parallel.
4 - for the middle only position you use only throws for the pole that is always connected to hot and the pole that is always connect to ground. the other throws are left open.
5 - ?????????
6 - PROFIT!!!

Huh???

Upon a second re-reading, I've got part of it. So can I confirm that means I will need another superswitch in addition to the push-pull pot that I have now?

I've not got any idea what a 4P5T superswitch is...

is it one of these? Altho I doubt that's the exact thing that I need

(Invalid img)

Any chance you have a wiring diagram somewhere?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Huh???

Upon a second re-reading, I've got part of it. So can I confirm that means I will need another superswitch in addition to the push-pull pot that I have now?

I've not got any idea what a 4P5T superswitch is...

is it one of these? Altho I doubt that's the exact thing that I need

(Invalid img)

Any chance you have a wiring diagram somewhere?
you can't put image tags around a page.

Ditch the Fender style five way and get a superswitch to replace it.

http://www.stewmac.com/FreeInfo/Electronics/Switches/i-3200.html

nope, no diagram. but if you make one, i'll check it for you.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Mar 15, 2009,
ahhh... ok now that makes sense, the image tags around a page thingy.

So, that super switch has got 5 positions or is it like 10 positions?

soooo... let me get this straight.

Then the cables are wired to the superswitch in such a way that when I activate the push (serial linking), it links my bridge hum bucker in serial. When I pull the push-pull (parallel) the superswitch will link the bridge back into parallel? (just using the bridge as an example)
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
ahhh... ok now that makes sense, the image tags around a page thingy.

So, that super switch has got 5 positions or is it like 10 positions?

soooo... let me get this straight.

Then the cables are wired to the superswitch in such a way that when I activate the push (serial linking), it links my bridge hum bucker in serial. When I pull the push-pull (parallel) the superswitch will link the bridge back into parallel? (just using the bridge as an example)

5 positions.

4 sections

each section has one common lug (the pole)
and one lug for each position (throws)
total of 6 connections for each section
x 4 independent sections = 24 lugs

yeah, the throws of the superswitch are connected to the coil wires you need in each position. the poles of the superswitch are connected to the push-pull and the output jack and to ground.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
5 positions.

4 sections

each section has one common lug (the pole)
and one lug for each position (throws)
total of 6 connections for each section
x 4 independent sections = 24 lugs

yeah, the throws of the superswitch are connected to the coil wires you need in each position. the poles of the superswitch are connected to the push-pull and the output jack and to ground.

Hmmm, assuming I understand this correctly.

Can I safely say that a lug is a one of those metal connector plates I solder the pickup cables to?

I'm not certain what each section is for though... my assumption is that there is section for each configuration: 1 for neck serial, 1 for neck parallel, 1 for bridge serial and 1 for bridge parallel?

That means that with 2 humbcukers a single, I would have 14 cables. Which means I would need jumper cables from one lug to another on the superswitch?

Thanks for your patience in answering.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Hmmm, assuming I understand this correctly.

Can I safely say that a lug is a one of those metal connector plates I solder the pickup cables to?
yes

Quote by ragingkitty
I'm not certain what each section is for though... my assumption is that there is section for each configuration: 1 for neck serial, 1 for neck parallel, 1 for bridge serial and 1 for bridge parallel?
not exactly.
Section 1 for connecting "coil A" positive to the input of the volume control.
Section 2 for connecting "coil A" negative to ground OR to the positive of "coil B"(depending on the push-pull switch in parallel setting or series setting).
Section 3 for connecting "coil B" positive to the input of the volume control OR the negative of "coil A" (depending on the push-pull switch in parallel setting or series setting).
Section 4 for connecting "coil B" negative to ground.

Quote by ragingkitty
That means that with 2 humbcukers a single, I would have 14 cables. Which means I would need jumper cables from one lug to another on the superswitch?
yes.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
yes

not exactly.
Section 1 for connecting "coil A" positive to the input of the volume control.
Section 2 for connecting "coil A" negative to ground OR to the positive of "coil B"(depending on the push-pull switch in parallel setting or series setting).
Section 3 for connecting "coil B" positive to the input of the volume control OR the negative of "coil A" (depending on the push-pull switch in parallel setting or series setting).
Section 4 for connecting "coil B" negative to ground.

yes.

Hmmm I see... OK.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. I'm sure there's probably lots I still need to ask, but I'll go check out more about it first.

Really appreciate the help. Gonna have to keep this thread for reference.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
OK, just as a follow up.

Would this be possible?

Could I install 2 push-pull pots, one for my volume and one for my tone, then have the tone knob switch the bridge pickup from serial to parallel and have the volume knob switch the neck from serial to parallel?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )