Page 1 of 3
Edit: Minor updates 04/10/09...........with issues!

(not for dial up)
(no new amps)

New Accessory Day paid for by Best Buy gift cards. (March)

That's right, for those that don't know Best Buy now carries Gear. Some stores have a built in music store that is like a mini Guitar Center but nicer. Not as much selection though. They had a $2,800 Gibson and high end rack gear and drum kits etc.

(If you don't like it then hit the 'Back' button on your browser and move on to something else)

I was going to do this thread Thursday night and I'm glad I waited. I had a killer weekend starting with the gear I got Thursday, the Traynors I tried out Saturday, the bar my wife and friends and I went to Saturday night, the band that played (all Carvin amps) and how sh*t faced we got, to my time at Best Buy earlier today. I just got home a bit ago.....

I didn't really do full blown reviews but there are some snippits of stuff coming up.

Bag #1

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 10, 2009,
...whats in it?

Looks like a Boss TU-2?

And I think a pedal adapter?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
This better be good :stickpoke
I see a cry baby
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
I think I see Stadium Arcadium?

Nice pedal choices. What do you think of the DS-2?
Ah man this is turning out like your New Amp thread...
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE

Ernie Ball Wah
Danelectro Chili Dog Chorus
Sennheiser Studio headphones
9 volt batteries
A bunch of CDs including Queen's Greatest Hits, Megadeth Hidden Treasures, RHCP and KSE

I got the Crybaby Wah last Thursday at Best Buy. When I got it plugged in it was VERY noisy. Forsaknazrael helped me trouble shoot ...

but I decided to try another one before opening it up to mess with pot as he suggested. I like the Ernie Ball better actually and

it has a greater sweep range so we'll see. The Crybaby is more tweakable and has boost button. I'm not sure if I'll keep the DS-2 either as I really want a fuzz but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I'm basically going to keep exchanging pedals until I settle in.

(the black leather bag that comes with the headphones was a bonus

*THAT'S IT!..****************..I DIDN"T BUY ANYTHING ELSE*
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 17, 2009,
Nice man, Happy New Stuff Day
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
where's bag 3?

Nice buys in general though.

Sennheiser's kick ass, using some right now.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Here is a list of amps I played over the weekend at Best Buy. Most of these, minus the Traynors (which are not carried by Best Buy btw), I've played before.

Bogner Alchemist 40w 112 combo
Bogner Alchemist 40w Head/212 cab
Fender Vibro Champ XD
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Fender Twin Reverb
Line 6 Spider Valve 112 combo
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 head/Line 6 4x12 cab
Line 6 Spider III 150w
Peavey Windsor 100 head/Peavey 4x12
Marshall MG100DFX combo
Marshall JVM 410H /1960 Lead 4x12
Vox AC30CC2 212 combo

Traynor YCV40 112 combo
Traynor YCS80 212 combo

The Vox normally goes for $1199. As mentioned last week by another UG'r they are on sale for some reason. The guy I talked to wasn't sure why and said that the current sell price of $749 is below his employee discount.

The Marshall was OK. I've played it before. It's OK. Clean channel and OD2 are OK. I don't know if it is worth $2,199. That's Best Buy's price anyway. When I first played it today the distortion was just farty and crappy. Then I went out and had a smoke and came back in and it sounded a little better I guess but I can see why this amp is a love/hate thing.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8450213&type=product&id=1203815458723

The Peavey Windsor 100 head is pretty nice actually for $249. Even with it's crappy cab ($199). I bet it would sound a lot better with Vintage 30s. You can get cleans if you turn the preamp volume down and the master up. Again, for the price it is a hella head.

The Alchemist is starting to be a favorite of mine. I didn't mess too much with the on board effects. It is one of the ugliest amps I've ever played though. Nice dark distortion. I hate the knobs on this thing too. Real wank job. It's easy to accidently move one of the other knobs by mistake because they are so huge. Otherwise I think it is a great amp.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8889517&type=product&id=1215216375330

Spider Valve was meh for me.
JVM = meh
Vox AC30 was butter.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 16, 2009,
Again, the Traynors are not carried by BB or GC. I found them at a small mom and pop shop. This was probably the BEST part of my entire weekend. These are beautiful awesome amps. They have the Fender chimey cleans with OD that I wish Fender had...at the same price points. These are what the Fender Hot Rods should have been. Made in Canada. I highly recommend. I loved both equally.

Traynor YCS90 (custom special) 90w
http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=391

Traynor YCV40
http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=93

Guitars I played at Best Buy today.

Schecter Diamond Series Damien Special in red wine. By far my favorite.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9087935&type=product&id=1218018673973

Schecter Omen 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard $549
Gibson Les Paul Standard $2,789

(I can't find either of the last two on-line at bestbuy.com The stores and web site doesn't always match.)

The Gibson was my least favorite. The neck was sticky and I really felt like I had to fight the thing. I liked the Epi much better.

<flameshield>
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 15, 2009,
Congrats, you gotta lemme try out your wah.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Was the MG100 combo slamming?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^I haven't read thru your thread yet Kevin but I got the jist of it from my cell phone earlier

yeah, maybe we can trade something for a while

oh, here was the biggest surprise of the weekend....

VoxAC30CC2 30 watt combo......that's a hella deal thar
Nice, interesting stuff. I recently picked up some decent cables. I have to go to Best Buy soon to check it out. An AC30 for $750 is pretty unbeatable.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^That really makes me wish I had the money, and dammit I do, but I don't. GAHHHHH, or as goolz would say FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU!
Best Buy has Bogner stuff? You had the same impression of the Windsor that I did...they are great amps if you know how to tweak them and you don't need SUPER cleans. I love mine. Cool stuff too
Here was the biggest dissapointment. I've played the JVM before and maybe I'll learn to like it someday but eh' whatever.

Marshall JVM 410H $2,199
Marshall 1960 Lead 4x12 $799
Gibson Les Paul Standard $2,789

That's $5,787 for some high end gear that I didn't consider all that high end.

Edit: No more bags guys, that's it.

This was the pic from Thursday night. Again, I'm not sure which WAH I'm going to keep yet. The Crybaby was super noisy. I was picking up a radio station. Forsaknazrael - if you see this, thanks again for helping me out. I tried everything. When I take it back I may exchange it for a Ernie Ball volume pedal.

I need a pedal board BAD

It's even more cluttered down there now after Bag #2
^^You built a treehouse, time to build a pedal board!
Quote by Kevin Saale
^^You built a treehouse, time to build a pedal board!

This.

So 311 do you know any carpenters?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^I can probably handle building a pedal board.

Miss G - The sad thing about Stadium Arcadium is that is my second copy. The first one is so scratched up from over use

I haven't had much time with the DS-2 due to being gone, but we'll see.

Wes - Yeah I've tried the MG a number of times before. Cleans are nice but that's it. I'd rather have a Peavey Windsor stack for the same money.

eyebanez333 - The Windsor is hard to beat to $249. I was tempted to get it but I know my wife would freak. Plus if I get another amp it would be Fender, or more likely a Traynor or a hybrid type amp like the Vypyr or SuperChamp.

Felix - The Chorus seems pretty cool so far but I need to learn how to tweak it because it's got some 'warbling' type sounds - hard to explain. I may trade it for a Boss chorus but hell it was only $34. And yes, I had a MXR SuperComp but exchanged it back to Best Buy to help fund my Toneport (Pod Studio). It didn't really do all the much for and kind of just sat there. I may try a DynaComp some day or a Boss Compressor/Sustainer.

I tried to upload a clippy but UG froze. I saw that there were some issues last night and I'm having problems right now just posting but that could be fu@ked up PC.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 16, 2009,
Happy New... Stuff Day!?

Those Best Buy cards are pretty useful, eh? You're getting some pretty good stuff.

DS-2: may I ask why? I could've given you a rundown of it. It turns my tone to ****, not a very good boost, and sounds pretty bad on its own... but maybe it'd sound good on the Splawn?
535Q: You didn't like it? I've been eying this... what did you find unappealing?
EB wah Good choice
Windsor, Alchemist, Vox Great amps, the Alchemist and Vox particularly.
Schecter Damien Special is the sex. I played it, and loved it.
If you like the Epi, try Agile... I found the 2800 quite comfortable, although the frets were huge.

I envy you for having a music store in your Best Buy. Mine is ten minutes from the main distribution plant in NW ohio, and they don't even stock any of it. Bull****.

Looks like you need a board, also maybe a different EQ? That odd location of the I/O jacks on the Dano are annoying when you to putting them close to other pedals

^I'm kind of in a pedal experimentation phase. I'd much rather have a Big Muff but they don't sell those. There were some Line 6 disti pedals though, I may check those out.

I like the Crybaby for the most part but it was just noisy as hell. The Ernie Ball is not nearly as noisy so I can safely say it's not the amp or anything else in the chain etc. Plus I was dissapointed with sweep range (8 degrees). The E.B has 12 degrees I'm really liking the tone of it. The boost feature on the Crybaby just made it noisier. I'm not saying they are not good pedals. Forsaknazrael has the fix I believe with adjusting the pot I just don't have patience to mess with stuff.

I actually like my Dano EQ a lot. No, it's not a MXR but it works for now. Again Best Buy has been feeding my GAS so I just work with what they have in stock. Yes, I don't care for the placement of the jacks at all. Screws everything up placement wise.

Here is gut shot of the Dano Chorus and a close up of the Alchemist. I did not buy an Alchemist ........(yet).

I didn't buy this, it is just a picture from the internet.

OK. No more pics

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 17, 2009,
I wish I had as nice of a Best Buy as you. My nearest one is in Cape Girardeau, and the closest it has to music gear is Guitar Hero set up in the corner

At least there's a music shop nearby with a bunch of PRS's, Mesas and Oranges
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
^Yeah, the only oranges near us are in a place called eddies guitars. Eddie isn't what I'd call people friendly, am I right 311? Luckily I don't like oranges much, unfortunately they had all the other good stuff as well and I really wanted to play it.
First of: Dude you got one Hell of an awesome music taste (I dig most of these bands to)
Second: Nice NEW STUFF DAY
and Third as a teaser: I see that you got some Frusciante gear going on there and to make you jealous, I just landed an amazing deal on a WH-10 (~180 $) that will come later this week. soon look forward for some pic than.

and once again HAPPY NEW STUFF DAY!

EDIT:
I wish there would be best buy in Sweden to and they would have guitar stuff.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Last edited by helsinki_vampir at Mar 16, 2009,
I FINALLY got a demo clip up after 4 attempts. Nothing special. You can't really hear me talk so here is the quick run down.

E.B. Wah
Dano Chorus
Amp only
Boss DS-2

Amp OD1
Amp OD2
Bad Monkey
Boss DS-2
Amp OD2 and Bad Monkey

at least I think that's right (you may not even be able to hear much difference, I didn't really listen to it.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play567173

^Helsinki - Thanks
Enjoy the gear man!
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
very cool, congrats on the gear splurge

you need to try a Bogner XTC man, you will never be the same.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Maybe we could do a little temp trade like Kevin and Skeir did.

and tnx for stopping by

haha, whatchya gotz??? I do love me some Quickrod, but I've owned both the 3 pre and newer 4 pre models remember. Which version is your Quickrod? I would still like to try out the version before the gears.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^yeah I remember - just curious if you wanted a Quick Rod in your house again for 3 months or so

I have the 4 pre tubes so it might be boring to you

I'd throw in my carbon copy or something to make it more fun for ya.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^yeah I remember - just curious if you wanted a Quick Rod in your house again for 3 months or so

I have the 4 pre tubes so it might be boring to you

I'd throw in my carbon copy or something to make it more fun for ya.

hehe, not to be a douche, but I have one of those too, great pedal!
just picked up a new piece for my pedalboard actually, a Voodoo Pedalpower 2+. Hoping it will be a bit quieter than my Onespot. That thing is so finicky about positioning. I move it every once in a while by accident, and it introduces a ton of noise. What are you powering those pedals with BTW?
amp clips
amp vids
Page 1 of 3