For quite some time I've wanted a Jackson Kelly style guitar, but they do not really make a decent one with a fixed bridge. I'm considering buying a black js30ke ( http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-JS30KE-Kelly-2008-Model-Electric-Guitar?sku=511562 ) and replacing the neck with one from a DK2M ( http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=517588 ), because I would like a maple fretboard. In addition I'm considering putting in SD livewires because I like their JB pickups, but want a little more modern sound. I would like any opinions that UG has on this little project I am considering and also am wondering if there is anything neat I could do with the nut, as I don't need the locking one that would come on the DK2M neck. Especially welcome are comments as to how Kelly style guitars feel / balance.
Quote by what??
I'd rather not have to refinish it

blocking the trem doesn't require you to refinish the guitar at all.
i'm with Pac_man0123 on this one... just block the trem
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Yeah, i just looked at that, but I see that they don't advertise a kelly style body anyway, and an explorer just doesn't do it for me.
Quote by what??
Yeah, i just looked at that, but I see that they don't advertise a kelly style body anyway, and an explorer just doesn't do it for me.

If you mail them a full-size blue print they'll make whatever you want them to.
but then we're talking more than I'm willing to pay for a guitar that I want basically as a backup guitar and to have a little fun putting together. I'm thinking i can probably get a js30ke off of ebay or something with a decent body for $200 or so and maybe $170 for a neck with a maple fretboard. I gotta admit though, now you've got me thinking about building a really kickass guitar from warmoth. I just can't justify spending that much now, and I'm still really happy with my SA.