A while ago I was looking into a carvin bass. I've lost that amount of money with some new gear additions, but now realize that my main bass's truss rod isn't working correctly so I will be in need of a new bass.

Specs:

Probably not fender. not a fan of the feel and not really thrilled with the sound. just not my thing.

5 string or 6. 35" scale

weight is not a problem. I'm not a big guy but I don't have any problem holding a heavy bass.

All pickups are ok just look into my overall sound description to make a choice on this.

I would like if it came in a dark color but that's of course not a requirement. I do not like maple fretboards

I like the feel of thin necks but can actually play faster on slightly thicker necks. My schecter is a good bit thicker than my ibanez and i can play faster and clearer on it and warwick necks feel pretty good to me too. Quite a range here. I still think it's kinda odd that the only necks i really dislike are all fenders. Maybe it's just the in-store setups.

fretted of course as it will be my main bass.

Sound I'm looking for:

I play in a classic rock/ modern rock cover band but would like to join a more heavy/death metal band soon. I like a big deep smooth sound for the classic rock band with a bit of rumble on the low end. I'd like to be able to get a bit of growl for the death metal scene. It must be clear at all times. I like boomy but what I mean is no mud. I've managed this with my schecter but it requires me to turn down the bass's volume and depend on my amp's gain. I still got plenty of volume but i shouldn't have to be limited by that.

I do tend to play with both pickups evenly blended on all my basses. I have passive soapbars, active soapbars and one bass with a P/J configuration and I always seem to play with both pups on. I'm looking for something 100% passive too. I never seem to use my bass's preamp and if i do it's just for a quick boost anymore. i used to use it but i find my amp has enough tweaking power and i love the sound of passive basses in general. Maybe if the bass has a active/passive switch that will allow it to work without a battery in it that would be ok. then i could just have the preamp set to something and flick the switch when i want that boost.

I play through a peavey vb-2 head that i love. all tube. that helps with warmth and a good deep tone.

price range is not much higher than $1000 USD.

EDIT: Ok. I've been doing some looking and i never really realized how no mid-high range basses are all passive...it makes me sad. So i will either have to live with a preamp i don't use or have an active passive switch installed afterwords.

I have been looking into the ibanez btb line as they have thicker necks than the average ibanez. i've played a few and always kind of liked them. Do you think that an Ibanez BTB775PB might fit my needs? Of course I'd try to find one before i spend this much money but around here chances are slim of finding and exact model so I will probably have to play other btb's and decide from there. or maybe just get another btb. i'm looking at this one right now.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-BTB775PB-5String-Bass-Guitar?sku=580509

I should also add that my older ibanez has a thinner neck than the modern ibanez basses by a little bit too.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 16, 2009,
Im thinking Warwick, and probably the $$ as it has good versatility, and passive pickups. It has a preamp, but so do all Warwicks, and the tone you described really did shout Warwick at me. The only problem is that Im not sure how much they are Stateside... that failing Ibanez generally do that style well, but Im not much of an Ibanez expert (where's the guru?)
You may also want to have a look a the forthcoming/newly arrived Sterling by Musicman line. Although they probably have preamps as well. Without meaning to be rude, the kind of tones you described would be easier achieved with preamps... if you're looking for passive, then I suppose there are various Laklands, but I don't know about their price...
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
I know that the preamp would make it more versatile but I always find that my amp has enough versatility with the mid shift and the resonance and presence controls. I never use my onboard preamp. I did for a while and seemed to like it and then i did more tweaking on my amp and liked it better with everything flat on the bass again. I do know that my friend had a btb405qm when i was in high school and I absolutely loved that thing. the feel and tone. everything. hopefully specs haven't changed too much. and warwick is definitely on my list but it can be a bit expensive.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
The Lace Helix Humanity reccommended probably wouldn't be the best bass, as it lacks the growl you can get from Warwicks or Ibanezs.
I wasn't promoting preamps for the versatilty necessarily, but the ease with which they allow you to get desired tones. Particularly growly tones. Im afraid I dont know about the Ibanez you mentioned.
Ah yes, sorry for recommending Warwicks when you specified $1,000. In the UK, £750 would be Warwick range, butI see on guitarcentre zat ze Germans haf decided for ze payback of year of Fender inflation. Bloody Jerry. In that case, I would recommend Ibanez, in which case you need to find someone who knows more about them than I do.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
All through your post I was thinking. "Pfffft, Schecter."

Then I saw your sig. Can't make it easy, can ya?

Try their custom shop.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
ya man. My shecter is the one with the truss rod going out. It makes me sad. It was a good bass and all but it just wasn't good enough for me to purchase an identical or almost identical bass.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
have u looked at esp/ltd surveryor basses?
theyve are versatile as hell. just an amazing bass in general.
haven't yet and I don't think the gc or any local shop around here has it. The local shops aren't good for anything here. i went to get strings at 2 of them and neither had any heavy gauge strings and 1 store only had 1 set of strings(diadarrio light gauge) and the other had 3 sets(one rotosound 66 and 2 dr colored sets). The bass market here really sucks...I will being trying just about everything at guitar center this saturday of course.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
haven't yet and I don't think the gc or any local shop around here has it. The local shops aren't good for anything here. i went to get strings at 2 of them and neither had any heavy gauge strings and 1 store only had 1 set of strings(diadarrio light gauge) and the other had 3 sets(one rotosound 66 and 2 dr colored sets). The bass market here really sucks...I will being trying just about everything at guitar center this saturday of course.

much as I hate those awful things, that may be just what you wanted.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
actually i looked it up online and the 5-string model is 34". that's a no go for me. I must be able to get the B string down to at least A. ok probably not lower but i find B strings on 34" too loose as is let alone tuned to A.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian