Ok, so I first played violin at a young age and then stopped at 11 because I hated it. I was one of the best violinists at my age and was very good at reading music, but then I just wasnt that into it.I then started to play guitar at 14 and am doing pretty good basically just teaching myself and reading stuff here and what not.

Im wondering if I should get back in to reading sheet music. Will it be hard to remember and is it similar to reading violin music? Is it a lot different? Are there and notable pros to reading music?
Thanks.
well there is only one way to find out
grab a piece of sheet music and attempt to read it
if you cant then you can always just read tab instead
yea it's pretty similar, the only major difference is that the guitar transposes an octave down. Whether it's easy or hard for you depends on you.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
yeah it shouldnt really be that different........ just the notes might be diferent..i dunno how they are on a violin...

but its always good to be able to read music!
Quote by satcre3
well there is only one way to find out
grab a piece of sheet music and attempt to read it
if you cant then you can always just read tab instead

Well I just tried and I didn't even know where to start . Anyone know any good videos or tutorials on how to read sheet music?
i have no idea
but maybe you should try google
but that might come up with some REALLY bad tutorials and videos
or you could get lessons and say you wanna learn in sheet
Quote by kickasspats
Well I just tried and I didn't even know where to start . Anyone know any good videos or tutorials on how to read sheet music?

wait i dont get it....i thought you used to be really good at violin and reading sheet music....

well the notes are the same on sheet music???.....its just finding the right one on the guitar

like if you were good at violin and sheet music you would know the notes on the stave.... haha i think its stave??!
so yeah haha start there i guess
You should be able to pick it up fairly quickly again. The low G string on a violin is the same pitch as the G string on a guitar. And as long as you were reading treble clef, you should remember. Just Remember that the lines on the staff are (Low to high) E, G, B, D, F.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Quote by geetar_man0
wait i dont get it....i thought you used to be really good at violin and reading sheet music....

well the notes are the same on sheet music???.....its just finding the right one on the guitar

like if you were good at violin and sheet music you would know the notes on the stave.... haha i think its stave??!
so yeah haha start there i guess

ok ill put it this way
if you were a olympic sprinter
you stopped sprinting for 3 years
you would be no where near as good as you were
Quote by satcre3
ok ill put it this way

that's not the best analogy. Olympic training takes years and years of layering of training. It took me about a month to learn to read standard notation.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
well im not a scientist or a professor lol
it was just a basic way to explain it
Try reading/playing some scales to start off. The good thing about musical notation is that it gives you the key that the piece is written in so if you know your scales and what they look like in paper it'll be a lot easier to perform it. I'm assuming that the hardest part will be getting the right time as it's written down. Get a metronome and start it off slow. If you can't figure one part out then just write it into guitar pro/power tab to know what it sounds like.

Good luck mate!

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
^yeah it's either Stave (British English) or Staff (American English)

haha yeah ....for some reason i typed it and was like wait......

i just blanked out
Quote by satcre3
ok ill put it this way

yeah.........but its not like you would have forgotten how to sprint........

thats what i meant.....surely if you used to be really good at reading music then youd have to remember something at least......

i wasnt implying that this kid was supposed to just snap and go oh yeah! and start playing

but i didnt understand how he had no clue about anything....after all those years of violin....since there is no 'tabs' for violin so you have to use sheet music
ok lets get back to the point.. how can one go about learning how to read sheet music over the web
Quote by tru23nyte
ok lets get back to the point.. how can one go about learning how to read sheet music over the web

Since TS has guitar pro he can go ahead and select only notation to be viewed without the tabs as a start.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.