OK, I recently got a laptop that I'm using mainly for recording purposes and there are a few problems that I encounter a lot when I'm trying to record. I'm using an audio interface (an inspire1347) with a firewire cable to connect to my laptop. The cable wouldn't fit into my laptop though, so i got a adapter for it. Now, whenever i record my interface keeps randomly dissconnecting, and the quality of my audio is.... not to good. I get alot of distortion that I never got when i used a desktop. Also, when I try to import a drum track into audicity to play along too, my interface disconnects and i get a message on audicity that says "error open sound device, please check your audio sample rate". Now my question is, is there a problem with my adapter, computer, or interface? thanks
Quote by patv
OK, I recently got a laptop that I'm using mainly for recording purposes and there are a few problems that I encounter a lot when I'm trying to record. I'm using an audio interface (an inspire1347) with a firewire cable to connect to my laptop. The cable wouldn't fit into my laptop though, so i got a adapter for it. Now, whenever i record my interface keeps randomly dissconnecting, and the quality of my audio is.... not to good. I get alot of distortion that I never got when i used a desktop. Also, when I try to import a drum track into audicity to play along too, my interface disconnects and i get a message on audicity that says "error open sound device, please check your audio sample rate". Now my question is, is there a problem with my adapter, computer, or interface? thanks

Adapter is most likely one of the problems, the other likely being you have your interface set at a different sample rate to Audacity and this is causing a conflict between computer and interface. Go to the Recording FAQ thread and maybe ask for help there because it seems you don't quite understand the way your equipment works.

I don't know what 'adapter' you're on about but strictly speaking you should never fit an adapter and try and use a different input to firewire itself because firewire is a high-speed connection and from the top of my head I can only assume you're trying to hook it up to a USB port? Could you take some pictures of the adapter and where you're plugging it into on the laptop?

It is unlikely there is anything wrong with your laptop or the interface itself though luckily, other than you may have to set them to work together (in which case, best to set them to 44.1kHz sample rate, 16-Bit ('Redbook' CD quality).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Thank you, that was a very well thought out and usefull post. The input in my computer is for a fireware cable, but its alot smaller than my cable, such as the one here: http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=303
My interface and audicity sample project rates are both at 44.1, and its 16-bit. Should I change the latency on the interface? Its at 1.5.
Even after changing all this, the interface still wont connect so Im guessing the wires the problem.
Also, sometimes Audacity simple does not detect any sound even though my microphone is plugged in, and audicity frequently crashes.
Do you know what chip set the Firewire interface is, inside the notebook PC? Firewire interfaces tend to be kind of particular. I'm suspecting that is what your problem is. The best is the T/I. I'm using a VIA chipset card in a desktop PC with an Inspire 1384 and Audacity and it works just fine

Tony