would it be easy to learn guitar?

I used to play guitar before but I just used tabs(nothing wrong with that)
but I have a broader understanding after I went back to piano......and I haven't played in a long time
Last edited by killjoy2490 at Mar 15, 2009,
easy??

what do you mean by easy?

easier than if you didn't know theory?.. probably
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Uhhhh, no.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
yeah, most definantly, just the understanding of music is more than most new players have, not to mention the whole good with hands thing
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
yeah, most definantly, just the understanding of music is more than most new players have, not to mention the whole good with hands thing

anyone that says no can get off their high horse. the answer is yes.
easiER not easy.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Easier then someone whos picking up guitar with no previous musical knowledge.

You will already have (hopefully) basic music theory, which you can apply to guitar.

You already have finger independance to a good degree (I'm assuming)

The transition will be easier.

But not easy.

It's like me playing Piano, but starting on a Guitar.

The theory and stuff comes easy, moving my fingers is pretty easy (still a little challenging sometimes for my treble hand), and I'm obviously a beginner who can barely play basic songs without messing it up. My teacher says I'm better then her other beginning students, because they don't understand ANY music theory, have horrible finger independance, she had to correct their posture and how they hold their fingers over the piano, etc. But I can barely play a song consisting of only A4, B4, C4, D4, and E4 without messing up at least once.....and those are BEGINNER songs...

Going vice-versa, I'd expect the same results.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
As a jazz pianist what switched to guitar, I have to say it's probably easier than just picking it up with no previous musical knowledge, but it's not like you can just grab an axe and pluck out an instant Django solo.
of course it's easier.

You already have music knowledge, and some finger motoring skills going.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Dont' forget rhythm and a good sense of timing. Your ear should be a bit better than a non musicians picking up an instrument for the first time. Those skills are kind of important to musicians and will help you pick up a second instrument quicker.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
Dont' forget rhythm and a good sense of timing. Your ear should be a bit better than a non musicians picking up an instrument for the first time. Those skills are kind of important to musicians and will help you pick up a second instrument quicker.

Jup jup.

A developed ear also helps in noticing mistakes (faster) which means ur practice time will yield faster and more accurate results.

It won't be easy though, since you still need to learn to play.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 16, 2009,
There will be changes that confuse you for awhile, but once you get those down you'll be miles ahead.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by killjoy2490
would it be easy to learn guitar?

I used to play guitar before but I just used tabs(nothing wrong with that)
but I have a broader understanding after I went back to piano......and I haven't played in a long time

yes and no. it will be easier than starting from nothing because the music is now already in your head. so now you just have to apply it to another instrument. but it wont make the act of actually playing any easier.
It did make it easier for me to catch on but not simply easy to play, former 5 years piano player (intermediate/advanced).