OK so I have a gibson sg standard and I only got it because it was used and i could afford it but my true passion is with les pauls> (yes I am someone who sees the name and assumes it's good) but there are all different les pauls and it confuses me. I may not be able to shell out 2200. but please mention the best for 2200. the best for 2000, and the best for about 1800. just in case. I have a crappy marshall Mg (please do not bother me about that btw) but I plan to upgrade to a marshall tube amp like a jcm or dsl. or an egnater. which is another topic i need to post. so you guys aren't lost on what i play, I play rock- modern, classic, heavy rock, i play occasional experimental and stuff. but you know the typical rock and some blues. IN terms of bands, i want to be able to sound (of course it's in the fingers) like the killers, blink, rhcp, all the way to guns n roses, jimi hendrix, van halen, ac/dc. the ultimate sound is a heavy distorted sound thats not metal. i dont know how to explain it. i also want a good crunch. i know im rambling about total bs but w/e. i also want decent cleans but more importantly distorted. plz keep in mind that it will be going with marshall or egnater tube head and cab. (soon )
btw im new to this so if i did something wrong just call me a noob and call it a day.
get a Carvin
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
i personally loved the classic series, only reason why i got a lp standard cause i got it for a good price, the pickups in the classic 496 and 500t are the highest output pups next to the dirty fingers made by gibsons.
Quote by Waterboy799
get a Carvin

This, +90487515763.

Les Pauls are way over-priced, you will be much better off getting a custom shop Carvin. You can choose your own specs (wood, finish, pickups, etc.), and save a hell of a lot of money.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
If you want a high quality Les Paul for less than $1500, import an Edwards from Japan. They rival Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls in terms of overall quality. Also check out Tokai or Epiphone Elitist Les Pauls, they're on a similar level to Edwards. Blink-182, RHCP and Hendrix all used Stratocasters, by the way.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
If you want a high quality Les Paul for less than $1500, import an Edwards from Japan.

I strongly disagree with this, I've played several of these and I've never been particularly impressed, same gos for Tokais, they aren't bad, but can't touch higher end Gibsons.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I would go with a used Standard, and put any extra money towards the amp. Or if you shop around, a new standard.