i am picking up a les paul special II tomorrow afternoon for 50 bucks. it is still in very good condition with some scratches and small dings and whatnot. i was just curious as to if yall think it would be worth using as a project guitar to put emg's in and better pots and maybe custom paint ?? thought i would post here since it involves customizing. i am getting it either way, cuz it seems to play very well for what it is, but dont know if it would be worth spending the cash on some emg's and stuff ?? what yall think ....

mike
AGILE PS970/4000 (one off custom) :: JACKSON DKMGT :: DEAN SOLTERO
MESA Dual Rec (2CH) :: (2) AVATAR 2X12 cabs w/ celestions

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
if you got it for $50 and it's in good condition, by all means go for it. and best of luck to you
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
yep 50 bucks. and since this will be my first actual project guitar i would rather screw something up that costed 50, rather than something that costed 500- or even more ....

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
The pickups may surprise you. They're some of the nicer sounding low-end guitars out there. Usually the tuning stability is more of an issue with the cheap Epis. If you put any more money into it I would suggest a graphite or well cut bone nut and a decent set of tuning machines. They don't have to be expensive tuners either as long as they're solid like the better Pings that you see at Guitar Center. The nut is very important though, at least that was the key to the one that I had.

PS - Worth 50 bucks for sure.
Last edited by deluthe at Mar 16, 2009,
Absolutly
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Yeah, man, go for it.
Ephiphones can sound beastly with new pups. Just not EMGs. Don't touch EMGs. It'll sound like a generic guitar with EMGs in it. Active pups tend to counteract everything the construction does for tone.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
deluthe : actually i just finished playing it for a bit before tearing apart.... and i have came to the same conclusion you just mentioned. the pickups actually do sound decent for what it is, but the tuning pegs have got to be changed. i am going to guitarcenter to see what they have in the next few days ....

invader jim : on the thread idea, if i hadnt just decided to not mod it to much i would definately be making a thread. nevertheless i do have another idea for a project cuitar which i may go a little more indepth with which will definately recive its own thread

emoishboy : you are right as i have found out through searching. i have decided if i do go anywhere near the pickups, it will be a seymour duncan or dimarzio of some sort . i may even remove the v7/v8 combo out of an ibanez i have and put those in it, and just throw some new ones in the ibanez .... still throwing up ideas

edit:: i know the v7/v8 pickups in the ibanez are not anything to write home about but i do think they sound a bit more clear than the ones in the epi, so if i do change pups i am thinking bout just putting better ones in my ibanez....

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
Last edited by MYLILSS at Mar 17, 2009,
Don't forget about the nut. It has a lot to do with tuning stability. A poorly cut nut will grab the string and not allow it to slide freely causing the string to go out of tune every time you bend.
Quote by Invader Jim
Do it. And make a thread.

This. Even if it's a repaint, the GB&C loves threads thnat actually contain work being done
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
yeah i forgot about the nut... i am going to get a graphite nut if they have one. at least something better than whats on there, i just forgot to mention that.... i will try and get some pics of up the progress and the plans here this afternoon

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!