I have a Squier Strat and I recently changed strings.

My last few packs of strings were different because I was experimenting with what I like. My last pack was an .11 gauge.

This pack is Ernie Ball Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom .10 guage.

I install the strings and I play around with the action (which was a bad idea but I seemed to have fixed it)

So now, everytime I hit the A-string, if I hit it hard enough, it pops out of the nut and I have to stop whatever I'm playing and put it back in.

I remembered that I used these same kind of strings before and I had the same problem so this isn't new to me, but I never knew how to fix it.

What can I do to fix this problem?
or you can file it with the string themselves. By running the strings back and forth through the nut, you can wear it to the point where the strings will fit.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
too much and you'll get fret buzz that wont go away.

in addition always file in a way that leads to an upward slope towards the fretboard.

higher on the fretboard side.

you dont want the string to enter the fretboard too low.

also, once you widen or lower a nut cut, you'll get string rattle if you ever go back to thinner gauge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You might have to make the crevis in the nut a little deeper.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Any chance you've not wound the string on the post correctly? After the string passes thru the nut it should angle down towards the headstock face as it travels towards the tuning post. If you haven't put a couple of wraps around the post the string may be sitting too high and making it easier for it to pop out!
Moving on.....