...that many of my threads have been about my doubts over my SD Blackouts.

"Should I buy them"
"How Do I install them?"
"Did I make a mistake buying them?"
"I am really having second thoughts about installing them!"
"Should I get passives and sell these before trying them?!?
"OK I am reassured on them now...but wait!""

These are just a few of the many questions revolving around my SD Blackouts since I got them last DECEMBER. At first I was sure on them, then I was doubtful, then I was reassured after watching some demos, then I was again doubtful after hearing some passives, then I was reassured when I saw some reviews, then I was doubtful when I researched on some passives.

Well, it is time to close the lid on this case. I have had them since December and only recently have has the time to install them. But after I dismantled almost all of my SG, my little sister accidentally knocks one of them on the floor and one of the two little things where the mounting screws go on snapped off.

During these three months that I have had them I have also had time to research.
Here are my two options:

1) Somehow fix the problem with glue and live wit them.

2)Sell them for a little less on craigslist and get SD SH-6 "Duncan Distortion" (the one I have come to like as a passive).

What I am looking for:

-System of a down sound with nice cleans
-Protest the hero tone

Thanks and hopefully thisll be the last thread on this.

Notw: I have Stick Gibson 490s
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
yeah but the $$ for a tech to change them is one of the many things bothering me
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
dude. seriously.

once again, and I'm sure this is reiterating what many others have said already.

Try them, if you like them, keep them. If you don't, then take them out and get new pickups. I honestly don't see what the big deal is here, it's not as if you're looking for new pickups, you already have the pickups and you're asking, what? should you sell them and get new pickups? Seriously why not just try the ones you have? What in the world is the harm in doing so, and spending money for a tech? All the time you've probably spent pondering this issue, you could have learned to solder. A monkey could change a set of pickups. I could change a set of pickups when I was 12.

What in honest to god's name makes you think that you'll like Duncan distortions any better? Because you saw some youtube videos? Read some reviews from HC (which are BS and must be taken with many tablespoons of salt, if not ignored entirely)? Here's the dirty truth about pickups, they sound different in different guitars and different amps. I've got a set of Seymour Duncan '59s that sound different in 2 different les pauls and a strat. Until you try the pickup in YOUR guitar, through YOUR amp, you really have very little idea what it's going to sound like.

What the hell is there to research? You already have the pickups, I don't see why you don't just install them and see if you like them or not. Youtube videos are meaningless, I've got 2 youtube videos up of my JTM45 that sound nothing like what I hear when I play it in person.

Fix the mounting handles. Try a 2 part epoxy adhesive. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick some up. I know 3M makes it. Install the pickups.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 16, 2009,