Hi, ive only been playing for about a month and just about the only things i am able to do is play the intro for enter sandman and seek and destroy and now i have no idea where im supposed to go from now.
Do you have an Acoustic? An Electric, or both?
Quote by offspring_punk
9/10 Bobo Jenkins just sounds godly in general. I think I'll name my firstborn child that. Male or female.
Try learning an entire song, preferably a fairly easy one. Iron Man, for example.
Try jamming.
This is the part where you are supposed to be amazed by the awesomeness of my sig.
Quote by homebrand91
Hi, ive only been playing for about a month and just about the only things i am able to do is play the intro for enter sandman and seek and destroy and now i have no idea where im supposed to go from now.

wherever you want
Try leaning open chords and strumming patterns. This will give you a good base to learn some songs quickly and then move onto more advanced techniques.
Get Guitar for Dummies. It has great lessons in it and stuff to play.
You can get it at your library.
I'd hit up Justin Guitar, I've been teaching myself since mid January and this site has become pretty much my guide book. Great lessons (at least in my opinion), and completely free.
Ironman
Sweet Home Alabama
Smells like Teen Spirit
Knocking on Heavens door
Parctice the minor pentatonic until you can play it cleanly in under 6 seconds.
The natural progression for a beginner such as yourself would OBVIOUSLY be Coheed and Cambria!

Well, that's how I did it :P. I'm sure you could google beginner song progressions and learn them with tabs. Just learn full songs, simple ones at first. Or even an easy riff that sounds really cool. Stay away from metal at this point. More than likely, Through the Fire and Flames is beyond you for now.
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace
I really reccomend that you learn chords. Your basic G,C,D,AM,etc

After you get those down with solid transitions and clean sounding. You could try the rhythm for "Simple Man" By Skynyrd.

*Besides the 'solo' rhythm. It contains barre chords.

-Rocky Top

Yeah it's more of an acoustic song but you could do it with a clean electric and make it sound decent.
It contains your simple basic chords:
G,D,Em,C,etc.
*You can find tabs on every song listed right here on UG.

Learn about 'barre chords' and 'power chords' since you have an electric. Experiencing with these you'll be introduced to palm mutes, etc.

Their is so much you can do, Just take it as you wish.

EDIT: Sell your Electric and get an Acoustic, is also another option. Rhythm is the best way to start playing guitar. Before you get into your lead and all that wacky stuff. Just an option..Some might agree.

1.Get acoustic
2.Chord DVD
3. or read lessons/guides on here.
Quote by offspring_punk
9/10 Bobo Jenkins just sounds godly in general. I think I'll name my firstborn child that. Male or female.
Last edited by Bobo Jenkins at Mar 17, 2009,
+1

spend the first few months worry more about "how to play the guitar" rather than songs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i started off self-teaching, then had some lessons, then stopped for a while. mainly cause i was getting nowhere n not enjoying it.

ive come back, using justin guitar and some scale sheets i have, and a few songs i used to be able to play parts of, really working on basic technique and the like, and i;m going so much better than i was. and im really enjoying it