I have recently started listening to some depressive black metal (Forgotten Tomb) and Dark Ambient stuff (Nox Arcana) and I was wondering how they get that melancholy overtone to their music. Is there a specific chord progression/scale that gives it that vibe, or is their a specific way of phrasing the notes to sound depressing?
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Never heard of those bands, but chances are it has everything to do with phrasing. There's no magical chord progression or scale that ever defines a genre.

Try to transcribe some dark ambient tunes you dig, and see what exactly what everybody's up to, i.e. harmonic relationships, intervals, etc...
Quote by KenjiBeast
Never heard of those bands, but chances are it has everything to do with phrasing. There's no magical chord progression or scale that ever defines a genre.

I agree with this. As an example, play an Am|Am|G|D progression quickly with a pick, kind like in the strumming pattern of Neutral Milk Hotel's In An Aeroplane Over the Sea (a song generally considered to have an uplifting vibe (a misconception really)) and then listen to Down in a Hole by Alice in Chains, a sad song using the same progression. Notice the difference.